Archived Topic

You all laughed... now come eat some crow!

by Brayden Green · 2/1/2015

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Halford looks good starting at point. 4 assists, no turnovers Halfway into the half. Pushing tempo up the court. Too bad KC isn't out there on the wings too.



It's early still, but hopefully you are all seeing what I have been saying all season long. Playing solid defense too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Q
Qman
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Halford looks good starting at point. 4 assists, no turnovers Halfway into the half. Pushing tempo up the court. Too bad KC isn't out there on the wings too.



It's early still, but hopefully you are all seeing what I have been saying all season long. Playing solid defense too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I am glad he is doing well. If he does it against St. Mary's and Gonzaga I keep my mouth shut. But I still really doubt it will happen.
B
Brayden Green
Qman wrote:
Halford looks good starting at point. 4 assists, no turnovers Halfway into the half. Pushing tempo up the court. Too bad KC isn't out there on the wings too.



It's early still, but hopefully you are all seeing what I have been saying all season long. Playing solid defense too.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I am glad he is doing well. If he does it against St. Mary's and Gonzaga I keep my mouth shut. But I still really doubt it will happen.


As our only point guard (getting any playing time on the roster) he'll do better than anyone else has to this point. He might not do tremendously, because they are a better team than Santa Clara, but I'm glad to see that you showed up here. :)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
With 4 mins left, up about 30 I imagine he's done for the night... 4/7 fgs for 13 pts, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 0 turnovers, and 3 steals (And that is all with our best wing player and post player out).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
I don't have a dog in this fight, but just for some perspective, Santa Clara is 302nd in steals per game.
Advertisement
Q
Qman
BlueIsBetter wrote:
With 4 mins left, up about 30 I imagine he's done for the night... 4/7 fgs for 13 pts, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 0 turnovers, and 3 steals (And that is all with our best wing player and post player out).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Halford played a very good game. He, Winder and Haws carried the load.



No TO's seems impossible. He definitely got called for a charge one play. At about 18:30 mark in the 1st half he threw a bad pass to Kaufusi that went out of bounds. If I was scorekeeper I would have given him two for the game.
B
Brayden Green
Qman wrote:
With 4 mins left, up about 30 I imagine he's done for the night... 4/7 fgs for 13 pts, 7 assists, 4 rebounds, 0 turnovers, and 3 steals (And that is all with our best wing player and post player out).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Halford played a very good game. He, Winder and Haws carried the load.



No TO's seems impossible. He definitely got called for a charge one play. At about 18:30 mark in the 1st half he threw a bad pass to Kaufusi that went out of bounds. If I was scorekeeper I would have given him two for the game.


Quibbling over one turnover? After saying what you did on the other thread you would think he would end up with a dozen in a full game's work ;)



And the one you referenced was a fine pass, it went off Kaufusi's hands because he was looking for the shot instead of the pass. It happens.



He did great. Let's hope he keeps it up and that Rose gives him the opportunity.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Halford had a great game today. I hope it just wasn't a one & done.



He did have a turnover. About 2 min into the game he tried a pick and roll with Kaufusi and basically threw out of bounds. May not have counted against him but that was on him. He was also in the process of getting picked but got bailed out by the ref.



He played well. Shot lights out and really hustled on defense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
It was a very catchable pass. kaufusis fault. Inexperience.

And #3 was a fricken Gary Payton--and the Refs just let him push most of game. So, yes, good start for Halford. And yes SC is almost like playing a DII school.
S
scott715
Yaho says 2 TtO



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I assume you mean yahoo. And yes, so do QBs get the blame for int's that sometimes aren't their fault. But even so, the ratio of 7 assists to 2 TOs is very productive. Let's hope he can be so effective, including 13 points, vs Pepp.
B
Brayden Green
A 7 assist 2 TO if we are going with the worst case scebario (like I mentioned, I dispute the first TO), is amazing for a PG in college (or at the pro level, for that matter). BYU scored a LOT of points in transition. For the first time in more than a year BYU looked like a BYU team, beating on losser teams with speed and depth.



Again, tempering expectations because Santa Clara is just an average team, but, things look hopeful. Impressive to see that with two new guys starting down low and withiut KC (our best player) we did as well as we did.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Blue, that's some serious optimism. I hope you are right on this as well. It will be tested all too soon. Actually maybe not soon enough. If Halford could get a chance to show this level again vs a very pesky Pepperdine, we would see. But KC will probably get better sooner and convince Rose he's ready and get the nod. And don't forget that BYU had no answer for their big, who actually isn't all that tall, but destroyed our bigs in Provo.
B
Brayden Green
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Blue, that's some serious optimism. I hope you are right on this as well. It will be tested all too soon. Actually maybe not soon enough. If Halford could get a chance to show this level again vs a very pesky Pepperdine, we would see. But KC will probably get better sooner and convince Rose he's ready and get the nod. And don't forget that BYU had no answer for their big, who actually isn't all that tall, but destroyed our bigs in Provo.


I think Andrus/Kaufusi is the answer in the middle.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
BlueIsBetter wrote:
A 7 assist 2 TO if we are going with the worst case scebario (like I mentioned, I dispute the first TO), is amazing for a PG in college (or at the pro level, for that matter). BYU scored a LOT of points in transition. For the first time in more than a year BYU looked like a BYU team, beating on losser teams with speed and depth.



Again, tempering expectations because Santa Clara is just an average team, but, things look hopeful. Impressive to see that with two new guys starting down low and withiut KC (our best player) we did as well as we did.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

We only scored 7 two-pointers, hardly any points in the paint, and below our season average. I hope that isn't BYU ball moving forward. That said, there were plenty of others games where we looked like BYU this season, in particular when we played SCU at their place.



It was a good game. Hardly our best this season, though.



The best thing about the game wasn't Halford. It was the overall team defense and rebounding.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Does Halford continue to start once KC returns and does Fischer continue to come off the bench?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Blue, that's some serious optimism. I hope you are right on this as well. It will be tested all too soon. Actually maybe not soon enough. If Halford could get a chance to show this level again vs a very pesky Pepperdine, we would see. But KC will probably get better sooner and convince Rose he's ready and get the nod. And don't forget that BYU had no answer for their big, who actually isn't all that tall, but destroyed our bigs in Provo.


I think Andrus/Kaufusi is the answer in the middle.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Not "The Answer". Maybe "they only and best option." If Luke started only Bc he "knew the schemes" the best.........um, yes, the best alternatives. Where's Waldo? Cause "the answers" are going to get schooled like little freshmen. But yes, nice to see an active Andrus as an addition to the sub-committee of little big-men.
B
Brayden Green
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Blue, that's some serious optimism. I hope you are right on this as well. It will be tested all too soon. Actually maybe not soon enough. If Halford could get a chance to show this level again vs a very pesky Pepperdine, we would see. But KC will probably get better sooner and convince Rose he's ready and get the nod. And don't forget that BYU had no answer for their big, who actually isn't all that tall, but destroyed our bigs in Provo.


I think Andrus/Kaufusi is the answer in the middle.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Not "The Answer". Maybe "they only and best option." If Luke started only Bc he "knew the schemes" the best.........um, yes, the best alternatives. Where's Waldo? Cause "the answers" are going to get schooled like little freshmen. But yes, nice to see an active Andrus as an addition to the sub-committee of little big-men.


Just like Halford... the best we have at PG... our own motley crew in byu blue.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
beauso79 wrote:
Does Halford continue to start once KC returns and does Fischer continue to come off the bench?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Unfortunately I think the answers to your question are "No" and "no", though Rose saw enough life in the team even without KC on to try it. I don't think you can sit Halford at point, and if that means sliding KC down to the 4 when matchups allow, or sitting Winder and Halford to reserve roles and halford/Haws/KC at the 1,2,3 then that is what you have to do.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SenorCougar
Reminds me of ONE game last year....



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.