Archived Topic

Memphis suspensions from the brawl

by Fido · 1/20/2015

Advertisement
F
Fido
http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/memphis-tigers-announce-suspensions-for-byu-brawl_28936171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



The University of Memphis announced Tuesday that 12 Tiger football players involved in the Dec. 22 post-Miami Beach Bowl fight against BYU will face penalities ranging from a half-game to two-game suspensions, along with suspensions from various practices and scrimmages.



The U of M announced the penalties in conjunction with the American Athletic Conference office. BYU officials have yet to announce disciplinary measures for members of the team involved in the fight.



Memphis won the game, 55-48, in double overtime, but multiple fights broke out following the game’s conclusion.



We will continue to update this story on Tuesday.
I
imuakahuku
Fido wrote:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/football/memphis-tigers-announce-suspensions-for-byu-brawl_28936171



The University of Memphis announced Tuesday that 12 Tiger football players involved in the Dec. 22 post-Miami Beach Bowl fight against BYU will face penalities ranging from a half-game to two-game suspensions, along with suspensions from various practices and scrimmages.



The U of M announced the penalties in conjunction with the American Athletic Conference office. BYU officials have yet to announce disciplinary measures for members of the team involved in the fight.



Memphis won the game, 55-48, in double overtime, but multiple fights broke out following the game’s conclusion.



We will continue to update this story on Tuesday.

So if you pound on the back of someone's head with a helmet that warrents a 1/2 to 2 game suspension? That to me was the worst offense of them all. If I did that in an ally it would be assault and I bet the prosecutor would even add with a deadly weapon. I think at least a one year ban from football would be the least to send a message that it would not be even remotely tolerated.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
Fido
I don't have a problem with it--its a bunch of guys in protective gear after an emotional game--the back alley comparisons don't really fit. And there were no real injuries reported except for Nacua's face but he kind of deserved it.
G
Guest
Fido wrote:
I don't have a problem with it--its a bunch of guys in protective gear after an emotional game--the back alley comparisons don't really fit. And there were no real injuries reported except for Nacua's face but he kind of deserved it.

He deserved it for his actions AFTER he got blindsided?
F
Fido
hawkwing wrote:
I don't have a problem with it--its a bunch of guys in protective gear after an emotional game--the back alley comparisons don't really fit. And there were no real injuries reported except for Nacua's face but he kind of deserved it.

He deserved it for his actions AFTER he got blindsided?

He deserved it for handing out at least 2 sucker punches. And it looked pretty superficial. Its not like he suffered a serious or permanent injury.
Advertisement
F
Fido
This was interesting:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2080809-155/byu-football-memphis-penalizes-12-players" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Memphis president M. David Rudd said in a statement that BYU administrators have been working with Memphis officials in both schools' reviews of the incident.



"I want to thank BYU for working with us to achieve not only accountability from this unfortunate event, but also helping our teams continue to grow and develop as young men, consistent with the high expectations held by both our universities, along with the high standards of sportsmanship established by the NCAA and American Athletic Conference," Rudd said.
G
Guest
Fido wrote:
Fido wrote:
I don't have a problem with it--its a bunch of guys in protective gear after an emotional game--the back alley comparisons don't really fit. And there were no real injuries reported except for Nacua's face but he kind of deserved it.

He deserved it for his actions AFTER he got blindsided?

He deserved it for handing out at least 2 sucker punches. And it looked pretty superficial. Its not like he suffered a serious or permanent injury.


Whether he handed out 1 or 2 sucker punches it was still after he had a pretty good gash under his eye, and since we don't know how he got that gash it's a little unfair to pass judgement on it. He very well could have been hit in the face by the oaf swinging his helmet as a weapon at people for all we know.
F
Fido
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
I don't have a problem with it--its a bunch of guys in protective gear after an emotional game--the back alley comparisons don't really fit. And there were no real injuries reported except for Nacua's face but he kind of deserved it.

He deserved it for his actions AFTER he got blindsided?

He deserved it for handing out at least 2 sucker punches. And it looked pretty superficial. Its not like he suffered a serious or permanent injury.


Whether he handed out 1 or 2 sucker punches it was still after he had a pretty good gash under his eye, and since we don't know how he got that gash it's a little unfair to pass judgement on it. He very well could have been hit in the face by the oaf swinging his helmet as a weapon at people for all we know.

This is where the gash came from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJaETwDQRg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



He sucker punched a guy being pulled away and then the Memphis DT tags him hard. After that is when he went over and sucker punched another guy being held back by a coach (with the gash already on his face). He claimed afterwards that he was struck by someone's helmet but I'll bet that is just what that punch felt like.
B
BoiseBYU
I guess they are going to have a conference call where everyone says they are sorry to everyone else? Man that would be fun to listen in on....In fact they could probably sell tickets, especially if they FaceTimed the whole thing. I can see it now:



"I'd like to tell number 78, 77, 76, (I don't know because I was just swinging), that I apologize. But dude got off lucky. Normally I break people's jaws."
I
imuakahuku
Fido wrote:
I don't have a problem with it--its a bunch of guys in protective gear after an emotional game--the back alley comparisons don't really fit. And there were no real injuries reported except for Nacua's face but he kind of deserved it.
. Btw it's not always about what did happen but what could have happened.

Oh yeah. So I guess it's okay then. But maybe they should do away with the targeting penalties because they are all in protective gear and nothing bad can happen by getting hit in the head if you have your helmet on.

Well how about instead of an alley I go down onto the field before the game and start pounding on the back of someone's head with a helmet. Would I just get a two game suspension for that?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
F
Fido
BYU's response on the issue:

(from Jay Drew's twitter)

BYU statement: "BYU also has completed a thorough review of the incident. The determined disciplinary measures are being handled internally.
S
Stirfry
My memory of watching it was helmet dude did some half hearted swings with the helmet to other guys with helmets while Nacua tried to do an all out sucker punch that could have really hurt someone.



Still I'd like to see a video of just before Coroma is pushed in to the Memphis guy by another Memphis guy and then the one he is pushed in to decides to fight him for being pushed in to him.
B
BroncoBot
Interesting that with so many cameras nowadays, how little of the incident was actually documented.
S
stuckinbig10country
The Utah Jazz beat reporter (of all things, and generally a nice guy and possible BYU fan) was cracking on BYU for not making the punishments public. I see it as BYU wisely following the policy put into place last offseason...



And then as I read more about what Memphis actually put out in their release: we don't know the 12 members of the team that will be punished. We don't know how many of them will miss any or part of games. All it says is that some will miss between one half and two games. So, outside of a number and the types of punishment handed out, Memphis is basically saying that punishments will be handed out internally.
S
stuckinbig10country
stuckinbig10country wrote:
The Deseret News Utah Jazz beat reporter (of all things, and generally a nice guy and possible BYU fan) was cracking on BYU for not making the punishments public. I see it as BYU wisely following the policy put into place last offseason...



And then as I read more about what Memphis actually put out in their release: we don't know the 12 members of the team that will be punished. We don't know how many of them will miss any or part of games. All it says is that some will miss between one half and two games. So, outside of a number and the types of punishment handed out, Memphis is basically saying that punishments will be handed out internally.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Not sure what we expected from a coach and administration that seems to enjoy penalties "of aggression". Probably earned the team an extra day at Provo Beach Resort this Fall.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
stuckinbig10country wrote:
The Utah Jazz beat reporter (of all things, and generally a nice guy and possible BYU fan) was cracking on BYU for not making the punishments public. I see it as BYU wisely following the policy put into place last offseason...



And then as I read more about what Memphis actually put out in their release: we don't know the 12 members of the team that will be punished. We don't know how many of them will miss any or part of games. All it says is that some will miss between one half and two games. So, outside of a number and the types of punishment handed out, Memphis is basically saying that punishments will be handed out internally.


Yeah, I was shocked (SHOCKED!) that the Utah media felt entitled to a bleeding lead story on the battle in Miami. It must hurt their egos desperately when a private University fails to go running to the media at their demand.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.