Archived Topic

Clone machine

by mendyman · 1/16/2015

Advertisement
M
mendyman
Age old question, if you could clone any player on the team who would win a game of 5 on 5? Categories- Current team, past BYU players, and NBA players (current or past)?



KC- too much athleticism for TH but TH might wear him down in the end



Travis Hansen- another all around guy but maybe even more athletic than KC in my opinion. I thought about going with Kresimir because the legend is just too good but I never saw him play



Dominique Wilkins- The highlights would literally cause your SC top 10 heads to explode (I don't actually think Nique would win but I'd still like to see 5 of him on the court together)
Q
Qman
5 Lebron James would beat anyone else. Guards all positions. Passes the ball. Scores from everywhere.
S
Schmoe
I'd take Magic over Lebron. Better handles, shoots the 3 better, passes better.
F
frdbtr
Anyone take Michael Jordan? I have a feeling 5 of him on the floor would never lose to anyone.



As far as BYU players, the most talented player we have ever had would have to be kresmir cosic. That guy could play all 5 positions on the floor and was 7 feet tall.
S
Schmoe
Of the players I've actually seen play, there's no doubt in my mind that Jordan is the best and most clutch. I do wonder, however, about a team of five of him guarding big men on the block.



I think it would be fun to see a game of five Jordans vs. five Oscar Robertsons or Larry Birds.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Schmoe wrote:
Of the players I've actually seen play, there's no doubt in my mind that Jordan is the best and most clutch. I do wonder, however, about a team of five of him guarding big men on the block.



I think it would be fun to see a game of five Jordans vs. five Oscar Robertsons or Larry Birds.


True, if we are going 5 jordans against the spurs or bulls or Lakers in their hay days but we are talking 5 Jordan's against 5 lebrons, or 5 dominic wilkins, or 5 Magic Johnsons. I would take Michael Jordan against anyone. Jordan was a great defender and contrary to popular belief was a great team player. And Believe me it hurts to say this because the guy literally stole a championship from my Suns in 93.
M
Mars


5 Rafael Araujos.



It would be like the old Mutant League Football video game, where the opposing teams would always forfeit once they ran out of uninjured players.
U
urroner
Wilt Chamberlain. The guy was a beast.
K
KYCoug
In terms of pure competitiveness give me 5 Larry Birds...what ever it took he'd/they'd find the way! Close second would be Magic. In fact after they left is when the sport changed to the run down and throw up 3's and everyone for themselves that it is today.
S
Sammich
For a BYU-based team, don't forget just how good Jimmer was in college (probably because he hasn't been as amazing in the NBA). 5 Jimmers would be tough for anyone to beat just because so many 3's would be dropping.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
KYCoug wrote:
In terms of pure competitiveness give me 5 Larry Birds...what ever it took he'd/they'd find the way! Close second would be Magic. In fact after they left is when the sport changed to the run down and throw up 3's and everyone for themselves that it is today.


I'm inclined to agree with you Ky. Bird is way down the list of athletes but way up in intelligence which would overcome athleticism. He could see and was aware of the court and everyone on it.



As far as byu players, I'm having a tough time deciding between Cosic and Ainge. If you could have 2 they'd be my choice.
F
frdbtr
Sammich wrote:
For a BYU-based team, don't forget just how good Jimmer was in college (probably because he hasn't been as amazing in the NBA). 5 Jimmers would be tough for anyone to beat just because so many 3's would be dropping.


I didn't pick Jimmer simply because he plays no defense.
M
mendyman
frdbtr wrote:
For a BYU-based team, don't forget just how good Jimmer was in college (probably because he hasn't been as amazing in the NBA). 5 Jimmers would be tough for anyone to beat just because so many 3's would be dropping.


I didn't pick Jimmer simply because he plays no defense.


Could 5 Jimmers ever stop 5 Shawn Bradleys? Bradley wouldn't ever have to dribble the ball, just hold it up above his head and pass it down the court until he dunked it every time. He'd block Jimmers shot from time to time as well.



After thinking about my original post for more than 30 seconds I'd pick Danny Ainge over Travis Hansen because he was just as athletic but probably a little more skilled. Either way I'm changing my vote to Kresimir. He had the complete package (real skills combined with legit height) and he led Yugoslavia to 3 gold medals
C
craigoscarson
A few requirements to be a good 1 on 1 player. 1. You have to be able to shoot; if all I you can do is back me down or go to the hole, I can defend that no matter how tall you are... because you still have to be able to dribble
C
craigoscarson
A few requirements to be a good 1 on 1 player.



1. You have to be able to shoot; if all I you can do is back me down or go to the hole, I can defend that no matter how tall you are... because you still have to be able to dribble and a decent perimeter defender can get a big man to pick up his dribble. In that case you have to be able to hit a midrange shot in the defenders face because passing isn't an option.



2. You have to be able to finish at the rim, which means handles are a must. You also can close out a shooter if they are too small or too slow to get to the rim.



3. Size matters, following your shot matters, passing ability does not matter.



4. Good hands and footwork matter and the ability to steal the ball and protect the rim are important.



5. If you can't defend the rim or the perimeter then no matter how well you shoot, or get to the rim you're not going to be a great one on one player.



So that said, I'll think Kevin Durrant would beat Michael Jordan one on one. He's a 7 footer that can score anywhere, would be able to rebound over MJ , could post him up, and is one of the greatest shooters in NBA history.



Hard to argue against MJ... but a 7 footer with MJ like skills... hmm



Lebron... he's Magic like.. but he's not a world class shooter.. He'd win his share, but I'm not sure he's better than Durrant one on one.. He's certainly a better team player because of his passing skills and ability to play more than one position on defense



Karl Malone... how do you stop him on offense... how do you get to the rim on him? But he didn't make his career on one on one.. at least not like Durrant and MJ



Charles Barkley... just a thought... hard to stop.. had all the offensive tools and ability to close out on the perimeter and rim







Someone said Bird... he's out because he couldn't stop the dribble drive and he'd have to overcompensate



Someone said Magic (my personal hoops hero, I have his autographed jersey in my office) ... was a very mediocre shooter.. (someone mentioned he could shoot the 3.. notsomuch.. that was the job of Byron Scott and Michael Cooper)



For BYU

Someone mentioned Jimmer... could he play defense? Could he get to the rim one on one against a Danny Ainge in his prime or a Cosic? (no)



I think a darkhorse for best one on one player would be Michael Smith. He had handles, he was tall enough to rebound and back you down, and was a great shooter. His defense was meh, but he had height to close out at the rim and make you one dimensional. (He would dominate Arajou for example... while Jimmer vs Arajuo may have been a stalemate)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.