Archived Topic

DNews Winder Knee Injury-Questionable

by Qman · 1/14/2015

Advertisement
Q
Qman
This could be really, really bad news.





http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865619547/BYU-preparing-for-2-physical-games-this-weekend.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


WINDER INJURED: Guard Anson Winder did not practice Tuesday due to a knee injury suffered during the win over Loyola Marymount last Saturday.



“Anson took a hard fall, and kind of was fallen on,” Rose said. “He’s got an issue with his knee. Hopefully it heals quick. We’ll see.”



Rose said he’s not sure if Winder will play Thursday at Pacific, but Winder said he is planning to be in the lineup.



Winder underwent an MRI Monday on the knee, which is the same knee he had sustained a bone bruise.



“It’s a matter of seeing how quickly it will heal,” Rose said. “He wanted to do more than he did today (in practice), so that was a little discouraging.”
G
Gunk
Nooooo!



Big loss. Hope he heals up. Skip the Pacific game. We need him against SMC.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Yeah, this definitely hurts our chances, he's a big part of why the team has been doing so well.
4
49erCoug
If Winder can't go.. who gets his minutes? Toolson? Nixon? or.. Halford? I would like to see Bartley get some meaningful minutes..
G
Gunk
Bartley should be getting all of Halfords minutes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
W
Wolverine
Gunk wrote:
Bartley should be getting all of Halfords minutes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I have mixed feelings about this. I was in this camp (More Bartley and No Halford) earlier in the season, but the more I observe what Rose is doing, the more comfortable I am with Halford on the floor. At least when Halford shoots a 3, I feel that it has a pretty good chance of going in. At least when Halford shoots a FT, I feel it has a pretty good chance of going in. I don't get that feeling at all when Bartley is in a similar situation. I know that Bartley brings a different skill set, but I'm not sure he is a game changer (nor is Halford for that matter).
Q
Qman
Wolverine wrote:
Bartley should be getting all of Halfords minutes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I have mixed feelings about this. I was in this camp (More Bartley and No Halford) earlier in the season, but the more I observe what Rose is doing, the more comfortable I am with Halford on the floor. At least when Halford shoots a 3, I feel that it has a pretty good chance of going in. At least when Halford shoots a FT, I feel it has a pretty good chance of going in. I don't get that feeling at all when Bartley is in a similar situation. I know that Bartley brings a different skill set, but I'm not sure he is a game changer (nor is Halford for that matter).




While I am normally of the opinion that Bartley needs lots of minutes, I am really worried about him turning the ball over lots. Missing shots within the flow of the offense isn't great but it isn't really bad like the TO's Bartley has had.
C
Cougs_Rule
I do like BArtley on D and only some what on O. Still a bit unpredictable. Never know when an offensive charge is getting dialed up. Halford is a bit out fo control as well. But cant fault his hustle. Toolson has the most upside, but maybe not ready for intensity of WCC play down the stretch. But something tells me it might be a combo and see whos hot or playing well any given night. BUt none of them can bring what Winder has is in toto: especially driving to the hoop.
G
Gunk
Halford turns the ball over twice as much as Bartley.



Halford is currently averaging 1.3 turnovers a game and Bartley is at 0.6. On a turnover per minute basis, they are about the same. How many times, though, have we watched Halford stand at the top of the key dribbling only to watch him get picked.



Halford is a better three point shooter and better at the line. However, Halford's overall FG% is abysmal at 38% from the field. Meanwhile, Bartley is shooting 52% from the field.



We have plenty of three point shooters on this team. We need more off the dribble, drive to the hoop points that Bartley and Winder provide. Bartley brings better defense, doesn't get pushed around, and Bartely benefits more from the time.
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:
Halford turns the ball over twice as much as Bartley.



Halford is currently averaging 1.3 turnovers a game and Bartley is at 0.6. On a turnover per minute basis, they are about the same. How many times, though, have we watched Halford stand at the top of the key dribbling only to watch him get picked.



Halford is a better three point shooter and better at the line. However, Halford's overall FG% is abysmal at 38% from the field. Meanwhile, Bartley is shooting 52% from the field.



We have plenty of three point shooters on this team. We need more off the dribble, drive to the hoop points that Bartley and Winder provide. Bartley brings better defense, doesn't get pushed around, and Bartely benefits more from the time.


pretty convncing argument. BYU does need guys who can penetrate and finish or dish.

But end of game, i would take Halford with experience and free throw shooting.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Halford turns the ball over twice as much as Bartley.



Halford is currently averaging 1.3 turnovers a game and Bartley is at 0.6. On a turnover per minute basis, they are about the same. How many times, though, have we watched Halford stand at the top of the key dribbling only to watch him get picked.



Halford is a better three point shooter and better at the line. However, Halford's overall FG% is abysmal at 38% from the field. Meanwhile, Bartley is shooting 52% from the field.



We have plenty of three point shooters on this team. We need more off the dribble, drive to the hoop points that Bartley and Winder provide. Bartley brings better defense, doesn't get pushed around, and Bartely benefits more from the time.


pretty convncing argument. BYU does need guys who can penetrate and finish or dish.

But end of game, i would take Halford with experience and free throw shooting.


True.



I think if we're in a situation where we need stops. Put Bartley in.



If we're in a situation where we need to preserve a lead and make free throws, definitely put Halford in. He shoots 90+ from the line.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.