Archived Topic

It wasn't the defense/3 PT Shooting/etc

by stuckinbig10country · 1/9/2015

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
BYU plays with a rhythm, and part of that rhythm is getting the the FT line.



There are a myriad of factors why (not all the officiating, but some of it was), but BYU's defense and rebounding were actually pretty good for a team that was playing 4 guards. Held Pepperdine to 20 points in the 2nd half.



For whatever reason, they weren't in rhythm for more than 5 mins last night.
C
Cougs_Rule
But doesn't stopping for free throws disrupt "rhythm"? I'm not sure rhythm is the right word, but it was one of the main factors. Refs weren't doing any favors (I'm sorry, but a D1 game and there are ZERO fouls called on Pepp in the first 18 minutes of play, with as hard as they were playing D, GIVE ME A BREAK!!

But BYU, not shooting 3s well, needed to go to the hole and force refs to call the foul. They waited too long. If for no other reason than to force the action, should have gone to the hole. They waited too long to figure out that KC didn't have the strength to force said action.

But yes, Free throws are critical. It's why I think WCC teams have complained and refs responded by swallowing their whistle.

Greg Wrubells tweet this morning helps support this notion. BYU averages 26 FTA per game--average. They shot 2 up until 4 minutes remaining in the game. HOSE JOB! BYU shot 8 total Fts.



But not just free throws alone. No penetration, poor shooting, and slow BYU defense, good defense by Pepp (aided by the refs) which slowed down the BYU machine, mixed with hot shooting by Pepp. Then BYU just barely climbed out only to lose a close one. Not free throws alone. Not even as a Causal factor. More correlational.
S
Schmoe
The refs weren't the ones missing threes, taking bad shots, and making bad decisions.
C
Cougs_Rule
They weren't? Good gravy, I'm glad you straightened that up. :roll:
S
Schmoe
Cougs_Rule wrote:
They weren't? Good gravy, I'm glad you straightened that up. :roll:


I'm glad you weren't one of the ones confused about it, because apparently some fans were :sulk:
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
As was I until I deduced 6 to ZERO on fouls with 2 minutes remaining in the half was as conspicuous as it gets, particularly with haws getting the usual muggings. It was not the main cause, but another set of refs who call it closer and more equitable change that game bc BYU gets to the line.
B
BroncoBot
stuckinbig10country wrote:



For whatever reason, they weren't in rhythm for more than 5 mins last night.

It's called good defense. And it wins championships. :P
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.