Archived Topic

BYU's 4-Guard Lineup

by SpiffCoug · 1/5/2015

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Is about one thing:

Getting BYU's best players on the court at the same time. Right now, BYU's four best players are Kyle Collinsworth, Chase Fischer, Tyler Haws and Anson Winder.



It took Rose about a month to figure out who his best players were and how to get them on the court at the same time.



Basketball is about matchups and I think this lineup gives BYU the most favorable matchups and creates the most mismatches for opponents.
K
KYCoug
I also thing the time the youngsters are getting is going to pay dividends in the long run.
G
Gunk
It's nice that Rose made the switch now as opposed to waiting till the end of the season to start the best players like he did in previous seasons. Play the best 5 and see what happens.



Getting good min from Worthington and Kaufusi which will pay dividends down the road. Nice to see Toolson come along. Nixon needs to ditch that 3 point shot. He keeps taking and missing them. Forget about being a "stretch" 4.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I'm ok w/ Nixon shooting the open 3.
S
scott715
it might be a 4 guard but with KC at 6' 6" and TH at 6'5" it is pretty close to a normal lineup except they can shot and run.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
scott715 wrote:
it might be a 4 guard but with KC at 6' 6" and TH at 6'5" it is pretty close to a normal lineup except they can shot and run.


It doesn't seem that long ago that lots of teams had forwards that were 6;6" and 6'5". The New York Nicks won the NBA championship with Debusher at 6'6" and Bradley at 6'5".
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm ok w/ Nixon shooting the open 3.

He's 2 - 13 from the arc. They aren't falling.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Gunk wrote:
I'm ok w/ Nixon shooting the open 3.

He's 2 - 13 from the arc. They aren't falling.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I get that they're not falling. But I don't think he's taking bad shots. I don't want guys passing up open shots. He's a young player who will get better.



I'm not sure I want players who are too timid to shoot.



Although, I'm still not 100% sold on him yet either. Eventually you do have knock down shots on a Dave Rose team.
C
Cougs_Rule
Nixon has to find his shot, but he's capable. He doesn't hurt this team when he plays and will get better. Solid fundamentals.

But yes, I'm with Gunk. Big credit to Rose for figuring things out sooner rather than later. It won't always work, but the fact that Anson and KC can get to the hole as well as shoot, is huge. The deep 3s from chase and now Toolson truly stretch the D. But sooner or later BYU will go cold. But for now they are on fire!
Q
Qman
To me this new line-up happened because Austin got hurt and we played some weaker competition. It has worked great because of our guards working so hard on the boards and D. When Austin comes back I wonder if we push Fischer to the bench.



Also Toolson has been a big-time difference maker off the bench. I was wrong about his defensive ability-- he has looked good in our zone defenses.



As the season progresses I wonder if Worthington's role is going be more situational--against good post players.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Qman wrote:
To me this new line-up happened because Austin got hurt and we played some weaker competition. It has worked great because of our guards working so hard on the boards and D. When Austin comes back I wonder if we push Fischer to the bench.



Also Toolson has been a big-time difference maker off the bench. I was wrong about his defensive ability-- he has looked good in our zone defenses.



As the season progresses I wonder if Worthington's role is going be more situational--against good post players.


I see no reason why we can't continue the 4-guard lineup the remainder of WCC play. Last year, SCU and SFU gave us fits. Sure they lost some guys, but we crushed them this season.



In general, the WCC is a guard dominant conference. Premier bigs are few and far between. Our 4 guard lineup is arguably the best back court in the conference. KC is big enough to drop to the 4 spot on defense, grab boards and then push the ball up the court as the PG.



Haws is good for 22 a night. Winder, 15. Fischer anywhere from 10 to 20 and KC will chip in his 12+ a night. Right there is 60+ points a game, which is good enough to beat any team in the WCC not named Gonzaga. Throw in bench points and 10 or so points from our bigs and it's a pretty good recipe for success.
A
ABYUFAN
Gunk wrote:
To me this new line-up happened because Austin got hurt and we played some weaker competition. It has worked great because of our guards working so hard on the boards and D. When Austin comes back I wonder if we push Fischer to the bench.



Also Toolson has been a big-time difference maker off the bench. I was wrong about his defensive ability-- he has looked good in our zone defenses.



As the season progresses I wonder if Worthington's role is going be more situational--against good post players.


I see no reason why we can't continue the 4-guard lineup the remainder of WCC play. Last year, SCU and SFU gave us fits. Sure they lost some guys, but we crushed them this season.



In general, the WCC is a guard dominant conference. Premier bigs are few and far between. Our 4 guard lineup is arguably the best back court in the conference. KC is big enough to drop to the 4 spot on defense, grab boards and then push the ball up the court as the PG.



Haws is good for 22 a night. Winder, 15. Fischer anywhere from 10 to 20 and KC will chip in his 12+ a night. Right there is 60+ points a game, which is good enough to beat any team in the WCC not named Gonzaga. Throw in bench points and 10 or so points from our bigs and it's a pretty good recipe for success.

I generally agree, but St. Mary's and Brad Waldow scare me a bit. I really really hope Austin is back for that. It will take him and Kafusi to tag team on him
B
BYULV
ABYUFAN wrote:
Qman wrote:
To me this new line-up happened because Austin got hurt and we played some weaker competition. It has worked great because of our guards working so hard on the boards and D. When Austin comes back I wonder if we push Fischer to the bench.



Also Toolson has been a big-time difference maker off the bench. I was wrong about his defensive ability-- he has looked good in our zone defenses.



As the season progresses I wonder if Worthington's role is going be more situational--against good post players.


I see no reason why we can't continue the 4-guard lineup the remainder of WCC play. Last year, SCU and SFU gave us fits. Sure they lost some guys, but we crushed them this season.



In general, the WCC is a guard dominant conference. Premier bigs are few and far between. Our 4 guard lineup is arguably the best back court in the conference. KC is big enough to drop to the 4 spot on defense, grab boards and then push the ball up the court as the PG.



Haws is good for 22 a night. Winder, 15. Fischer anywhere from 10 to 20 and KC will chip in his 12+ a night. Right there is 60+ points a game, which is good enough to beat any team in the WCC not named Gonzaga. Throw in bench points and 10 or so points from our bigs and it's a pretty good recipe for success.

I generally agree, but St. Mary's and Brad Waldow scare me a bit. I really really hope Austin is back for that. It will take him and Kafusi to tag team on him


Actually we seem to play better post defense with this rotation than with the two bigs in together. Maybe it's the weaker competition, but I think our guards get to the double team so much quicker and close defensive gaps much quicker and have really not let the opposing big men go off. I think we can also extend our zone defense further out with this lineup since it is quicker.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.