Archived Topic

Talking about national championships

by BoiseBYU · 12/30/2014

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
I've never understood the angst about Bronco talking about national championships and excellence. It's as if some fans get all messed up because the talking about it doesn't come to fruition. What is wrong about setting your sights at the top. Maybe if it was a bunch of insincere baloney, but I don't see Bronco and the team not endeavoring to achieve such goals, lofty as they are. If fans think that because Bronco has talked of a national champiioahip, anything less than that is failure and embarrassment, well they need to look in a mirror. Or talk to a good psychologist about the fact that when someone says their goal is X it does not mean that X will occur. I'm glad we have a coach who dreams big. It doesn't mean you can''tcor aren't realistic too or appreciate what it'll take to get there. I dream big almost every day in regard to sports family job church health age looks. Yet to realize any of them. But dream I do.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
I second these comments. The sights are set. It is okay to agitate at 8-5. Just don't say or do anything dumb to lose Bronco. He's the coach for BYU football.



Bronco and team, go and get nasty about that 2015 schedule. Start it 4-0 (again) and just get loud in those away games, BYU fans everywhere!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
If all of the raindrops were lemondrops and gumdrops....



If Bronco thought this were truly a desired, prioritized, and attainable goal, he would not have handed over the reins to a rookie his strongest asset; the key to his success as a coach; the one thing over which he could exert the most influence; the biggest single failed factor in 2014--the worst statistical output in his tenure; DURING THE MOST DOABLE, WINNABLE set up season to begin the fictional if not now farsical two-year undefeated run required to win a NC--sorry folks, but guess what, I can guarantee you will never ever hear out of HIS mouth again the words NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP as it relates to BYU.

He has reaped what he has sewn--which is actually a good thing. Football can't be fifth to win a NC. He has now acquiesced the abandonment of that aspiration. And who can realistically expect that in today's corrupt college football scene that lowly BYU (consider TCU and Baylors lack of resume and getting hosed) could compete with $50 million dollar behemoths like O, A, FSU, OSU?

And to add insult to injury,sadly, even very sadly, his VERY WELL RUN program now has a big black eye to its character--the very priority he elevated above winning. I feel for him. This has to be a very difficult time for Bronco.

Now, lest you think I am angry or disagree with Broncos priorities, I do not. I am grateful for Broncos priorities. I support BYU football verbally and financially. I don't even mind his grandios NC goals. I hope Bronco comes through this. I can live with 8 and 9 win seasons, but a lot of very important folks can't. And a lot of media and social media-ites are out to take Bronco down. I am glad the ultimately the final vote goes to the BoT. And notwithstanding the black eye brawl, Bronco absolutely has this program going in the right direction for the University and the Church. Does it need minor course corrections, sure. But I will absolutely take this over Crowton days. But talk of NC is a thing of the past. He won't make that mistake again.

The biggest question as it relates to this thread and the notion that it is a good thing to talk of NCs, is, will you folks that suggest such things, actually be able to forget he even used those words a few years ago. Or will you keep bringing up "talking about National Championships" in some sideways holding out hope that it can happen.
S
Schmoe
Actually, most of Bronco's successful years came on the backs of great offenses and QBs.
Y
YNot
IMO, Bronco knew that the defense was going to be the liability in 2014. Exhibit A is Kaufusi's move from DE (where he has NFL potential) to OLB. Exhibits B and C are Alisa's and Langi's moves from RB to LB. Bronco turned over the defense to Howell (not much to lose) and put his focus on the offense - he knew that we would need to win shootout type games - which means lots of scoring.



And, I don't have a problem at all with Bronco talking national championships. When we were 4-0 (even with mediocre performances by our defense against Virginia and Houston), the NATIONAL media was talking about Taysom as a Heisman contender and BYU as a darkhorse for the CFP.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
YNot wrote:
IMO, Bronco knew that the defense was going to be the liability in 2014. Exhibit A is Kaufusi's move from DE (where he has NFL potential) to OLB. Exhibits B and C are Alisa's and Langi's moves from RB to LB. Bronco turned over the defense to Howell (not much to lose) and put his focus on the offense - he knew that we would need to win shootout type games - which means lots of scoring.



And, I don't have a problem at all with Bronco talking national championships. When we were 4-0 (even with mediocre performances by our defense against Virginia and Houston), the NATIONAL media was talking about Taysom as a Heisman contender and BYU as a darkhorse for the CFP.


Your continuity is off. Bronco turned over the reigns of a top notch defense (last year) to a rookie, who then proceeded to dismantle it - moving our only successful returning front 7 player on defense into a place where he would be virtually ineffective. He decided to start Robertson Daniel at corner, although he is much more suited at safety (good tackler, can intercept the ball, sucks at corner position). He started his brother in law at safety over much much much much more talented players: namely Rob Daniel, Harvey Jackson, Dallin Leavitt, Kai Nacua, and possibly Chris Badger (we didn't really see much of him).



Although this is probably a good move for the dinner table and for family Christmas parties, I am pretty sure that it destroyed the morale of the defense. When you see someone that shouldn't be getting more than 10 snaps a game actually starting, and all because he is the coaches brother-in-law, it has to sting. Jackson was regularly a better player, with better instincts and MUCH better covering and tackling abilities.



He doesn't start Fred Warner or give him any kind of legitmate snaps until VERY late in the season when everything is in doubt (about the same time Jackson started playing), Fred Warner was arguably our 3rd best player on defense, behind hurt Craig Bills and the slot-receiver guarding Kaufusi.



Howell is as out of his depth at DC as Doman was at OC. And that is saying something. Good hire, Bconco. Way to keep sucking at picking your co-ordinators.
G
Guest
BoiseBYU wrote:
I've never understood the angst about Bronco talking about national championships and excellence. It's as if some fans get all messed up because the talking about it doesn't come to fruition. What is wrong about setting your sights at the top. Maybe if it was a bunch of insincere baloney, but I don't see Bronco and the team not endeavoring to achieve such goals, lofty as they are. If fans think that because Bronco has talked of a national champiioahip, anything less than that is failure and embarrassment, well they need to look in a mirror. Or talk to a good psychologist about the fact that when someone says their goal is X it does not mean that X will occur. I'm glad we have a coach who dreams big. It doesn't mean you can''tcor aren't realistic too or appreciate what it'll take to get there. I dream big almost every day in regard to sports family job church health age looks. Yet to realize any of them. But dream I do.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I completely agree.



I wouldn't want a coach who's goal is not to win a national championship, as far-fetched and unlikely as it is.
Y
YNot
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Your continuity is off. Bronco turned over the reigns of a top notch defense (last year) to a rookie, who then proceeded to dismantle it - moving our only successful returning front 7 player on defense into a place where he would be virtually ineffective.


I absolutely agree that Howell was the wrong guy to take over the defense.



But, the 2014 defense was not top-notch, and Bronco knew it. See - Virginia, Boise St.. Utah St., Nevada. We lost Van Noy, Manu, Unga, Sorenson, and both Hadleys. It was a top-notch defense in 2013 - not this year. You don't think Bronco made the call on Kaufusi to OLB and Alisa and Langi to LB? And Daniel to CB? They were trying to patch the holes.


BlueIsBetter wrote:
He decided to start Robertson Daniel at corner, although he is much more suited at safety (good tackler, can intercept the ball, sucks at corner position). He started his brother in law at safety over much much much much more talented players: namely Rob Daniel, Harvey Jackson, Dallin Leavitt, Kai Nacua, and possibly Chris Badger (we didn't really see much of him).


I agree that Daniel is much better suited at safety, but no one on the list would play corner better than Daniel. Safety was BYU's strongest part of the defense - Bills, Leavitt, Jackson, and Nacua. THAT is why Daniel was at CB. Just look at the other options - Povey, Davis, and Preator. This was not a top-noth defense that Bronco handed to Howell. It was a patch-work defense that Bronco knew was going to be a big liability for BYU.



IMO, Bronco's biggest mistake was handing over the defense in the first place - and not trusting Anae and Tujague to get the offense going. But, may be it WAS Bronco's influence on the offense that made the difference in 2014.
B
birdie702
I don't have a problem with high goals. I do; however, have an issue with unrealistic goals.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
birdie702 wrote:
I don't have a problem with high goals. I do; however, have an issue with unrealistic goals.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

When I grow up, I want to claw my way up to middle management



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myG8hq1Mk00
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
ABYUFAN wrote:
I don't have a problem with high goals. I do; however, have an issue with unrealistic goals.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

When I grow up, I want to claw my way up to middle management



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myG8hq1Mk00


Oh man post of the week! nay year! Buzz Lightyear: To the asteroid belt and turn around!
B
Brayden Green
YNot wrote:
Your continuity is off. Bronco turned over the reigns of a top notch defense (last year) to a rookie, who then proceeded to dismantle it - moving our only successful returning front 7 player on defense into a place where he would be virtually ineffective.


I absolutely agree that Howell was the wrong guy to take over the defense.



But, the 2014 defense was not top-notch, and Bronco knew it. See - Virginia, Boise St.. Utah St., Nevada. We lost Van Noy, Manu, Unga, Sorenson, and both Hadleys. It was a top-notch defense in 2013 - not this year. You don't think Bronco made the call on Kaufusi to OLB and Alisa and Langi to LB? And Daniel to CB? They were trying to patch the holes.


BlueIsBetter wrote:
He decided to start Robertson Daniel at corner, although he is much more suited at safety (good tackler, can intercept the ball, sucks at corner position). He started his brother in law at safety over much much much much more talented players: namely Rob Daniel, Harvey Jackson, Dallin Leavitt, Kai Nacua, and possibly Chris Badger (we didn't really see much of him).


I agree that Daniel is much better suited at safety, but no one on the list would play corner better than Daniel. Safety was BYU's strongest part of the defense - Bills, Leavitt, Jackson, and Nacua. THAT is why Daniel was at CB. Just look at the other options - Povey, Davis, and Preator. This was not a top-noth defense that Bronco handed to Howell. It was a patch-work defense that Bronco knew was going to be a big liability for BYU.



IMO, Bronco's biggest mistake was handing over the defense in the first place - and not trusting Anae and Tujague to get the offense going. But, may be it WAS Bronco's influence on the offense that made the difference in 2014.


According to the "casting shadows" defensive philosophy it was Howell's idea. I'm on my phone so it is hard to link, but I think it is a DSofB article with the breakdown of his "philosophy". Howell is responsible for it. Bronco looks to have promoted someone prematurely and then watched idly by while they proceeded to dismantle a functioning defense. Daniel was a defensive liability, but according to "casting shadows" tall corner backs are valuable, even if they have no clue how to guard man to man. Tall safeties are valuable, even if they consistently jump on wrong routes leaving wide open TD throws, and shirk their assignments. Google it. It's pretty egregious. Sno linked it a thread or two ago, also.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Football can't be fifth.

Can I vote this as 2nd on the list of most annoying things fans get upset at Bronco for? There's nobody on this board and very few in LES on game day that would put football higher than 5th in the scheme of life even if they were players. It doesn't mean football can't be first on game day or at practice or in the film room.



It something Ute fans and Monsons of the world just use to agitate. Then those same Ute fans go to church during Sunday :utard: games, miss games for their kids birthday parties, help friends whose ox in in the mire during a game, and so forth.



Monson on the other hand....... :sick:



I"m going to get off of CC now before it's totally obvious I'm a loser due to be on CC at 10:30 on New Years Eve. No offense HawkWing.
W
Wolverine
Stirfry wrote:
Football can't be fifth.

Can I vote this as 2nd on the list of most annoying things fans get upset at Bronco for? There's nobody on this board and very few in LES on game day that would put football higher than 5th in the scheme of life even if they were players. It doesn't mean football can't be first on game day or at practice or in the film room.



It something Ute fans and Monsons of the world just use to agitate. Then those same Ute fans go to church during Sunday :utard: games, miss games for their kids birthday parties, help friends whose ox in in the mire during a game, and so forth.



Monson on the other hand....... :sick:



I"m going to get off of CC now before it's totally obvious I'm a loser due to be on CC at 10:30 on New Years Eve. No offense HawkWing.

Just to make you feel better, I read your loser post at 10:37 p.m. :)
G
Guest
Wolverine wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Football can't be fifth.

Can I vote this as 2nd on the list of most annoying things fans get upset at Bronco for? There's nobody on this board and very few in LES on game day that would put football higher than 5th in the scheme of life even if they were players. It doesn't mean football can't be first on game day or at practice or in the film room.



It something Ute fans and Monsons of the world just use to agitate. Then those same Ute fans go to church during Sunday :utard: games, miss games for their kids birthday parties, help friends whose ox in in the mire during a game, and so forth.



Monson on the other hand....... :sick:



I"m going to get off of CC now before it's totally obvious I'm a loser due to be on CC at 10:30 on New Years Eve. No offense HawkWing.

Just to make you feel better, I read your loser post at 10:37 p.m. :)


I just got on! It's 11:12 pm.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Whoops I just transcended New Year's. Go Cougs in 2015.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
I have no problem with the goal being a national championship. That should be the goal.



He has, however, set expectations and so far has not gotten anywhere close to delivering on those expectations. Can't fault people for getting a little impatient when we are repeatedly reminded what the goal is.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Here's my problem with the national championship talk. Bronco has never put a timeline on it. He's stated it's a goal of the program, but with no date associated with it, a goal without a deadline is really just a dream.



And while Bronco hasn't stated when he wants to accomplish this, he has put qualifiers on what he thinks a non-P5 team would need to accomplish to be considered worthy to play for the national championship. And that is going undefeated for two straight seasons.



So if you have a program goal to win a NC, and then state that a team not in a P5 conference would need to go undefeated for two seasons (like BYU isn't in a P5 conference) then all you've done is created a scenario where you aren't able to accomplish your goals.



Right now, according to Bronco, the soonest BYU could play for the NC would be at the end of the 2016 season. The first loss of any season postpones this goal for at least three more seasons (the current season, which is now over, plus the next two).
S
scott715
Go perfect next year and we have a strong chance at the playoffs. Many big games to build a resume with.
B
Brayden Green
scott715 wrote:
Go perfect next year and we have a strong chance at the playoffs. Many big games to build a resume with.


Don't you start that! We won't have a perfect season under Bronco/Anae. The stars aligned for this year to be it, and with our drastically weak SOS we still couldn't do it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.