Archived Topic

Bronco or Rose: who has managed better all that is required

by Cougs_Rule · 12/29/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Ok. I get apples and oranges (they are still both a fruit--as is this being the two major collegiate sports at BYU) but who has overall, better managed their team, successes, failures, media, criticisms, fans, honor-code issues, recruiting, talent pool, winning percentages, etc.?
S
Schmoe
A lot of fans seem to think they're about equal...or would adding that option not work for what you're trying to prove?
A
AmmonCougar1
This is a great and interesting question/poll. I hope many contribute. While correct, it is apples to oranges I think there is a great deal of crossover too. I could be wrong but I think the Davies honor code issue got more national press than pretty much anything that has happened under Bronco's watch for the football team. Do we blame Rose, no of course not but was it a big deal and a black eye? Certainly the argument could be made both for and against how it impacted perception of BYU in the Nation's eye not to mention what might have been in the win/loss column.



I picked Bronco simply because he deals with about 7-8 times more players than Rose does. IDK how many coaches Rose has on staff but I'd think Bronco deals with maybe 2x as many coaches as well. And fan-wise, we know football is king in America. LES seats 64k, MC seats 21k. IDK, maybe I'm just sympathetic to Bronco because I think he gets a bad rap more often than not and it seems like we fans justify Rose when he makes similar mistakes and judgements. I like them both. I think both are exactly what we need right here right now at BYU. I hope both coach another 5-10 years with success similar or greater to what they have experienced thus far.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
C
Cougs_Rule
Good suggestion Schmoe. I edited. But didn't realize it would reset results. And no, I do not work for "Count the vote" that stuffed ballot boxes for Obama. :-)
G
Guest
I think they are pretty even, but Bronco has far more to juggle, and it thus takes more effort.



I think the change in the missionary age is one of the most difficult transition periods BYU sports has ever had to go through, and I'm impressed with both coaches for bringing us through that period with only slight dips in results.
Advertisement
P
Phatgreen
I think both have done an excellent job. Coaching at BYU is unlike any other institution. Both seem to have their priorities set where they need to be. I see a lot of similarities between the two. Both have the programs competitive and, for the most part, have their teams beating the teams they're supposed to beat. But neither has been able to get over the hump and beat teams that are favored, with a rare exception here and there. Unfortunately, I think BYU may never get consitently better than they are now at either sport, because of the unique challenges at BYU. But, I'm okay with that. Just hoping for a rare breakthrough for one of the teams soon!
S
Screamineagle
I think they a pretty close to equal I think Bronco has more pressure from the fans and he has far more players to manage.He also has more help.I think Rose has been a little more successful on the court.Over all I think we are very fortunate to have them both.
S
stuckinbig10country
I said about equal, but they handle most of the issues in different ways. I think it shows that there isn't necessarily only one way to handle all that there is about BYU.



The example of missions is quite obvious. Neither Rose nor Bronco will stop anyone from serving a mission who wants to. The difference is, Rose wants to know right up front if the player is serving. If a player (ie, Jimmer or Worthington) says they are not going to serve, he holds them to that commitment as much as he holds those who say they are (Harrison). He doesn't have the scholarship options that the football team does.



Bronco, in the past, has been more free flowing with allowing kids to go whenever, sometimes even right before the player's senior year. I see that changing.
G
Gunk
Edge to Rose. He's much better in dealing with the press and setting fans' expectations.



Record wise and dealing with the HC, etc they are pretty even.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Looks like it's almost a dead heat, yet Bronco takes much more flak from fans than Rose. Seems like a double-standard to me...
Advertisement
A
AmmonCougar1
Schmoe wrote:
Looks like it's almost a dead heat, yet Bronco takes much more flak from fans than Rose. Seems like a double-standard to me...


I completely agree Schmoe. And as I have stated in the past I am a big Bronco and Rose supporter. But you nail it, I think, when you say Bronco takes much more flack from fans than Rose and though it pains me to say it he give much more flack to fans as well. Even recently when talking about the Cal game and commenting something like, 'I need to say this carefully but the road fans are better because they appreciate us more.'



I still love 'em both and am grateful for what they do for the school and programs I love at that school!



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
S
Schmoe
So, while according to fans both have done an equal job of "manag[ing] their team, successes, failures, media, criticisms, fans, honor-code issues, recruiting, talent pool, winning percentages, etc.?" still somehow Bronco has managed it worse? Interesting.
B
BroncoBot
You're working with a pretty small sample size there Schmoe. i'd agree that both have done about an equal job.



BUT, there does seem to be a large double standard, which I believe is because most BYU fans are more passionate about football and the microscope that BYU football lives under is much higher powered.
G
Gunk
As I said, Bronco doesn't do as well of a job managing fans' expectations and dealing with the press.



You will never heard Rose criticize the fans in any shape or form. Bronco routinely makes digs at the fans. Rose doesn't come up with catchly slogans like "quest for perfection" or regularly talk of winning national championships and then show no progress towards accomplishing said goals. It's like a fat guy always saying they are going to drop 20lbs only to wake up the next day and eat a handful of cougar tails. The goal is great! But the talk without results gets old.



If Bronco just changed these two things, he'd find himself in fan's good graces. He's a great coach and has accomplished fabulous, record-breaking things but his irritability is over shadowing all the good he's done.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:
As I said, Bronco doesn't do as well of a job managing fans' expectations and dealing with the press.



You will never heard Rose criticize the fans in any shape or form. Bronco routinely makes digs at the fans. Rose doesn't come up with catchly slogans like "quest for perfection" or regularly talk of winning national championships and then show no progress towards accomplishing said goals. It's like a fat guy always saying they are going to drop 20lbs only to wake up the next day and eat a handful of cougar tails. The goal is great! But the talk without results gets old.



If Bronco just changed these two things, he'd find himself in fan's good graces. He's a great coach and has accomplished fabulous, record-breaking things but his irritability is over shadowing all the good he's done.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Which I find is simply nit-picking by the fans. Are BYU fans really that insecure that they believe every commend Bronco makes about fans pertain to you personally?
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Something about the wicked taking the truth to be hard. I don't care what the coaches say about fans, because I know that there are crappy stupid fans, and I'm glad they get called out for being crappy, stupid fans. I don't personalize it, I know the coach isn't talking about me, and I continue to support the coaches and the programs. Woot!
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:
As I said, Bronco doesn't do as well of a job managing fans' expectations and dealing with the press.



You will never heard Rose criticize the fans in any shape or form. Bronco routinely makes digs at the fans. Rose doesn't come up with catchly slogans like "quest for perfection" or regularly talk of winning national championships and then show no progress towards accomplishing said goals. It's like a fat guy always saying they are going to drop 20lbs only to wake up the next day and eat a handful of cougar tails. The goal is great! But the talk without results gets old.



If Bronco just changed these two things, he'd find himself in fan's good graces. He's a great coach and has accomplished fabulous, record-breaking things but his irritability is over shadowing all the good he's done.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Which I find is simply nit-picking by the fans. Are BYU fans really that insecure that they believe every commend Bronco makes about fans pertain to you personally?


Apparently some are because they want Bronco's head. I think if Bronco took better care to not fire shots at the fan base the vocal minority might not be so vocal.



Personally, I think it's dumb for any coach or player to speak ill in any shape or form of the people paying money to watch them play a game. I also think it's dumb for any fan to get upset by what a coach or player says. Don't like it, don't watch the games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Do you realize that Bronco has only criticized the fans a couple of times in 10 years and yet everyone whines about him "criticizing fans" all the time. Example 1, when he brings up having been booed in his first game. Example 2, when he talked about having a connection to the punter who got booed in his first game as a cougar. Example 3, when he came to the defense of Max hall during Max's sr season when fans wanted him benched for......wait for it.......wait for it.....Riley Nelson. So, if Bronco is such a bad coach for "criticizing fans" maybe the fans should freaking lighten up since 1, all of these criticisms by Bronco are valid, and 2 they really weren't criticisms at all, just musings. Bronco has made a big deal lately to change the perception that he criticizes fans, to the point of making sure he thanks the fans after every game for showing up and supporting the team in both away and home games. Which is something he doesn't even need to do since he really never actually criticized the fans in the first place.



Frankly, I criticize BYU fans. I think there are a bunch of us who are whiny cry babies who really are completely ignorant to how real organized football is actually played and coached.



By the way, I voted equal since I think both coaches are really good at managing their teams.
B
BoiseBYU
Fans who take umbrage because a coach criticizes them are wusses. But I digress....I may show biases here, but I think Bronco has it harder and therefore does a better job because Rose et al has to keep tabs on, what, 16 athletes while Bronco et al have 100? Also, assistant coaches in FB seem to matter a whole lot more than in BB....SO hiring, overseeing and managing them seems a bigger deal too? If any or all of that is true, then you gotta give Bronco the edge....
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.