Archived Topic

NFL draft do-over

by gmj81 · 12/15/2009

Advertisement
S
scott715
We told them that Collie was a steal at 5th round.
C
craigoscarson
There are many NFL teams where Austin would have been buried and never played (ala Oakland, etc.)



I doubt that he would take 2nd round money to leave the situation he's in; 1st round? maybe
S
scott715
Isn't that part of being a GM? Not draft the best player but draft the player that is best for your team.
B
BerliNY
gmj81 wrote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/12/15/redraft/index.html?eref=sihp



Collie in the first round like we all knew he should have been. That said, if I were him I'm not sure I would trade first round money for the success he's seen to date so far catching balls from Peyton Manning.


I love articles like this. What I'd also like to see is a how much money a team could save themselves every year by signing 5 austin collie clones instead of a single darrius heyward-bey. There's no way a single rookie WR is worth > $5M/yr to a franchise. Seems to me like the "privilege" of getting high draft picks is actually more a tax on talent scouting ineptitude (which, I guess, is how they got the early draft pick in the first place). First you can't scout talent. Next, you lose games because you have no talent. After that you get to overpay for rookie 'talent' which isn't any better than your old talent because, hey, you scouted 'em both. Then you have no more money to pay for anything but the bad talent anyway. A viciously ironic cycle to be sure. (I'm looking at you Oakland)





Rookie Salaries for Reference:

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2009/04/2009-nfl-rookie-signing-status.html
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.