Archived Topic

season of missed opportunities

by frdbtr · 12/28/2014

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I think this season in both football and basketball will be remembered as the season of missed opportunities. Late leads against 3 ranked opponents this year in basketball and we lose. Late leads against UCF and Nevada and a 55 yard field goal against Memphis away from being 12-2 in football. Just takes the heart right out of you to even have the energy to root for these teams right now. I will still root for them though, but it is killing me.
B
BoiseBYU
frdbtr wrote:
I think this season in both football and basketball will be remembered as the season of missed opportunities. Late leads against 3 ranked opponents this year in basketball and we lose. Late leads against UCF and Nevada and a 55 yard field goal against Memphis away from being 12-2 in football. Just takes the heart right out of you to even have the benergy to root for these teams right now. I will still root for them though, but it is killing me.


I know what you mean, but....ranting is more deadly than rooting, so root away I shall!



PS I think this was will be known as the season of injury, opportunity taking away injury.
B
BYULV
Not sure we can lump these teams together. BBall has missed opportunities, but I don't think the Gonzaga game was one of those. They are just really good. We had opportunities, but they simply took them away and beat us. There's no shame in that. I think the team played hard and made some strides forward. I saw some contributions from young guys that I was encouraged by, especially Kaufusi's progress from week to week and the tough play by toolson and Bartley. If those three continue to get better, it will make a huge difference by seasons end.



Another thought, all the earlier talk about missing Carlino this year? I think we can manage without him, however, Mika's absence is a lot more difficult to compensate for this season.
F
frdbtr
BYULV wrote:
Not sure we can lump these teams together. BBall has missed opportunities, but I don't think the Gonzaga game was one of those. They are just really good. We had opportunities, but they simply took them away and beat us. There's no shame in that. I think the team played hard and made some strides forward. I saw some contributions from young guys that I was encouraged by, especially Kaufusi's progress from week to week and the tough play by toolson and Bartley. If those three continue to get better, it will make a huge difference by seasons end.



Another thought, all the earlier talk about missing Carlino this year? I think we can manage without him, however, Mika's absence is a lot more difficult to compensate for this season.


I agree, Mika leaving is huge. We have no inside scoring presence this year. I still think this is a missed opportunity to be up 6 late and lose. I know Gonzaga is good but BYU used to beat good teams at home. Over the last couple of years, we have let these wins slip away.
B
BroncoBot
BYULV wrote:
Not sure we can lump these teams together. BBall has missed opportunities, but I don't think the Gonzaga game was one of those. They are just really good. We had opportunities, but they simply took them away and beat us. There's no shame in that. I think the team played hard and made some strides forward. I saw some contributions from young guys that I was encouraged by, especially Kaufusi's progress from week to week and the tough play by toolson and Bartley. If those three continue to get better, it will make a huge difference by seasons end.



Another thought, all the earlier talk about missing Carlino this year? I think we can manage without him, however, Mika's absence is a lot more difficult to compensate for this season.

BYU did plenty to hurt their chances without any help from Gonzaga. Bad inbounds passes, taking bad shots etc etc.



And I think Carlino WOULD be a potential difference maker in games like today's and san diego since you brought it up.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
BroncoBot wrote:
Not sure we can lump these teams together. BBall has missed opportunities, but I don't think the Gonzaga game was one of those. They are just really good. We had opportunities, but they simply took them away and beat us. There's no shame in that. I think the team played hard and made some strides forward. I saw some contributions from young guys that I was encouraged by, especially Kaufusi's progress from week to week and the tough play by toolson and Bartley. If those three continue to get better, it will make a huge difference by seasons end.



Another thought, all the earlier talk about missing Carlino this year? I think we can manage without him, however, Mika's absence is a lot more difficult to compensate for this season.

BYU did plenty to hurt their chances without any help from Gonzaga. Bad inbounds passes, taking bad shots etc etc.



And I think Carlino WOULD be a potential difference maker in games like today's and san diego since you brought it up.


Agreed, Carlino would have been a huge contributor this year. I just think Mika would have made a bigger impact for us.
M
Mars
frdbtr wrote:
I agree, Mika leaving is huge. We have no inside scoring presence this year. I still think this is a missed opportunity to be up 6 late and lose.

Missing Mika hurts, but losing Austin and Aytes to injury hurts double.



Carlino has not been missed, IMO. Fischer and Winder more than make up for him.
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
I agree, Mika leaving is huge. We have no inside scoring presence this year. I still think this is a missed opportunity to be up 6 late and lose.

Missing Mika hurts, but losing Austin and Aytes to injury hurts double.



Carlino has not been missed, IMO. Fischer and Winder more than make up for him.

??? perhaps combined those two would compensate for Carlino. But, Carlino is still the type of player that this team is missing. I still maintain that Fischer is simply a rich man's Cusick. Winder, on the other hand, has had a superb season and this team would be in serious trouble without his contributions.
M
Mars
BroncoBot wrote:
??? perhaps combined those two would compensate for Carlino. But, Carlino is still the type of player that this team is missing. I still maintain that Fischer is simply a rich man's Cusick.

I'm obviously missing the stats to make any compelling argument. But to me, Carlino represents poor shooting percentages, cold nights, turnovers, and a low basketball IQ. Much like Fischer on his bad nights. His new team's fans certainly seem to be very frustrated with him already.
G
Guest
Mars wrote:
??? perhaps combined those two would compensate for Carlino. But, Carlino is still the type of player that this team is missing. I still maintain that Fischer is simply a rich man's Cusick.

I'm obviously missing the stats to make any compelling argument. But to me, Carlino represents poor shooting percentages, cold nights, turnovers, and a low basketball IQ. Much like Fischer on his bad nights. His new team's fans certainly seem to be very frustrated with him already.

Agreed. I feel like we are addition by subtraction with Carlino leaving. This year he's down in every (all but 1) stat category from last year. Not sure what he would bring to this years team.
Advertisement
N
nuk13
You didn't know what Carlino would bring to the court, you do with winder.
B
Brayden Green
Carlino brings ball handling (sorely missed on this team), passing (also missed), defense, steals, ability to break the press, downcourt vision, rebounding etc.



We miss him in each of those areas. Badly.



Winder brings none of those, by the way. He is a terrible on ball defender, and I am glad he is flourishing in his "take it to the hole role" but he doesn't add enough in the other areas to be what we need against elite teams (see the above list). To be clear, I like Winder. Having Carlino wouldn't take away from Winder, as Winder is an SG anyways and not a point guard. Just rotate him and Fischer in.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.