Archived Topic

BYU has no chance . . .

by BYULV · 12/26/2014

Advertisement
B
BYULV
. . . To beat Gonzaga tomorrow, right?



I keep hearing everyone counting us out, and that should be the case on paper, but I can't count our guys out just yet. I was accused earlier of drinking the blue kook aid, and maybe that's true, but I go into every game we play thinking we have a chance to win. I'm sure the players have the same attitude. So what keeps us from winning this game tomorrow?



Our bigs are terrible right now?

We can't guard the perimeter?

We don't have dribble penetration?

Mark Few is too good a coach?



What gets us a win?



I think we need a lot of things to fall into place to get this win, but we don't have to be perfect.

1. Our defense has to be way better from the initial tip. We do so much better getting into our style of game when we have intense defense. We need a bit of nastiness on defense, annoying and frustrating the zags.

2. Figure out a way to rebound. Besides KC, it seems we don't get boards like we should.

3. Have some type of post presence, at least so there is a threat to score (& worthington needs to stop trying to score when he's defended - it's bad enough watching him score and miss when not defended)

4. Crowd power. Looks like it will still be a sellout even with all the students gone on break, but doubt it's as intense as it would have been had school been in session. (it's kinda lame scheduling conference games when school is out - big advantage to visiting team typically)

5. Change up, coach rose needs to see what's working and not working early on and adjust quickly. Don't be afraid to substitute and try different line ups, because we aren't going to win this game with our starting 5 alone, it's going to take break out performances from unexpected people.



Why do you think we can't win this game?
S
stuckinbig10country
A couple publications are picking BYU...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
After watching this team, I won't count them out of any game we play. Would I be surprised if we win? Sure, but that doesn't mean I give us no chance. Shooters could get hot, their guys could be off, big men could step up, etc.
C
Cougs_Rule
20% chance of winning. So there's a chance.

Bigs pose no threat so guards cheat out to challenge 3's and bigs cheat out on mid-range. It's an easy gameplay for Few. Unless BYU is shooting lights out, forget about it. Haws can't score four and BYU expect to win.
B
BroncoBot
There's no doubt that BYU could win the game tomorrow. However, if I were forced to put money on the game, I'd have to choose Gonzaga based on what I've seen out of the two teams this far.



Gonzaga - Focused, limited turnovers, veteran team, good talent and depth from the 1-5 positions, stingy defense.



BYU - occasionally sloppy, hot/cold shooting from the perimeter, KC and HAWS (with winder and fischer occasionally helping) carry the load.



Will be an extremely tall task to win this game. However, I've altered my expectations based on the way the season has gone so far. BYU will keep it close, but won't pull it off in the end.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Fischer was cold against Umass, so is due to be hot given his every other game streak. He gets hot and we have a chance.



If our guards can keep the Zags guards in check then we could pull it off. We have negate the Zag's inside out game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
We're not sure if Fischer will play tomorrow. And TH's ankle is still a concern. Austin is still out.
W
Wolverine
scott715 wrote:
We're not sure if Fischer will play tomorrow. And TH's ankle is still a concern. Austin is still out.

The perfect scenario for an upset :)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.