Archived Topic

The Brawl

by snoscythe · 12/23/2014

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Well, at least we'll have football news for the next little bit other than recruiting and armchairing the coaching situation as BYU, Memphis, and the NCAA look into the kerfuffle and decide what happens.



This guy is going to be on the bench for a while,



https://vine.co/v/OXtdxYW7QKB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



but I wouldn't be surprised if BYU has a bigger issue with the beards on outgoing seniors (Arellano, Blackmon, Leslie, etc) and creates a no-shave-no-play rule for its athletes.
S
snoscythe
I have to admit, it did make me a bit nostalgic for the bad blood of interconference play:



[youtube]5Jx86CIoLdg[/youtube]
C
Cougs_Rule
Expect Koroma to miss at least the first game next year. And Nacua about two to three.

Koroma pushes a dude then turns his back. Memphis player starts unloading on Koroma and it escalates from there. Allegedly the Memphis players were celebrating in the faces of BYU players and K shoved the dude. While shoving a dude probably doesn't warrant but a warning, it started such a national malaise that he will get something worse.

All BYU fans should worry about big, negative media making events like this bc the BoT asks themselves, how much more are we going to put up with before we shut it down?
S
scott715
Koroma was pushed by a M player into #97. He turned around to see who pushed him and got hit from behind by #97. Hell broke lose from there. Koroma got jumped by 4 or 5 players at that point.
S
SpiffCoug
Looked to me like Memphis #97 has an awfully clean uniform. Did he play or was he just a thug looking for a fight?
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
I love the Memphis coach's comments right after the fight: "This isn't who we are."



Unfortunately, the first quarter of the Ole Miss game begs to differ:



[youtube]cFmoc66Ju_o[/youtube]



As well as one of their players throwing a female academic advisor to the ground and going after a hoops player during tutoring:



http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/08/report-memphis-football-player-attacked-dominic-woodson-advisor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Yeah.....it's not who you are.....riiiiiiiiight.
C
Cougs_Rule
scott715 wrote:
Koroma was pushed by a M player into #97. He turned around to see who pushed him and got hit from behind by #97. Hell broke lose from there. Koroma got jumped by 4 or 5 players at that point.


Wow. Ok. That makes sense. I didn't notice that Koroma got pushed.
D
Ddawg
Well, as long as the Cougs are going to be suspended for a game or two, I wish they had acquitted themselves a bit better in the brawl. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Damn the torpedoes ........

;)
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
I love the Memphis coach's comments right after the fight: "This isn't who we are."



Unfortunately, the first quarter of the Ole Miss game begs to differ:



[youtube]cFmoc66Ju_o[/youtube]



As well as one of their players throwing a female academic advisor to the ground and going after a hoops player during tutoring:



http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/08/report-memphis-football-player-attacked-dominic-woodson-advisor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Yeah.....it's not who you are.....riiiiiiiiight.

Eh, I don't see how that ole miss play is related to fighting. pretty mild stuff compared to the crap they were doing at the MBB this afternoon.



Here's another angle of Nacua getting knocked silly. Also, nacua looks like he took a cheap shot before he got hit.

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/MightyAlaskaUte/view/17675227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
K
KingCoug
I have no problem with the brawl. Boys will be boys. The game, how it was mis-managed, and how it ended is the problem.



And I noticed the video above was by some prick named MightyAlaskanUte. I hope his children get eaten by a Grizzly.
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Thank you new DVR. Thank you for the one hour extension I selected.



I was "ok" with this little kerfuffle. I grew up in Nashville, and Memphis has been, still is, and always will be a trashy city. Looks like their football team is too.



Kai Nacua's bloodied face shown after he punches a Memphis player. On ESPN, front and center. Wow, uh, go Cougs?



Tejan Koroma, you bring a new level of nastiness to the team. Please snap better in 2015.



Cougars should have put this away in regulation.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
uofmtigerfan
First, I come in peace. I did want to come over an offer a sincere apology for the ending of the game. It certainly did not make either school look good and we both have a lot to hang our heads about.



I did want to point out one thing that has been missing from the whole conversation that I think would have prevented the whole affair. The stadium was setup so that both teams parents were behind the BYU bench. Our players went running across to celebrate with loved ones and it really looked like they were running across to taunt. This came straight from a mom of one of the players. This setup was poor planning on the part of the bowl but still does not excuse the actions at the end of a great game.



Good luck to your young men in the future.
G
Guest
uofmtigerfan wrote:
First, I come in peace. I did want to come over an offer a sincere apology for the ending of the game. It certainly did not make either school look good and we both have a lot to hang our heads about.



I did want to point out one thing that has been missing from the whole conversation that I think would have prevented the whole affair. The stadium was setup so that both teams parents were behind the BYU bench. Our players went running across to celebrate with loved ones and it really looked like they were running across to taunt. This came straight from a mom of one of the players. This setup was poor planning on the part of the bowl but still does not excuse the actions at the end of a great game.



Good luck to your young men in the future.


Thank you for coming and sharing your thoughts and apologies. I for one appreciate hearing from a Tiger fan like you.
D
Ddawg
KingCoug wrote:

I noticed the video above was by some prick named MightyAlaskanUte.

I hope his children get eaten by a Grizzly.


Straight forward, to the point, no pussy-footing around. Bam! :lol:
A
ABYUFAN
uofmtigerfan wrote:
First, I come in peace. I did want to come over an offer a sincere apology for the ending of the game. It certainly did not make either school look good and we both have a lot to hang our heads about.



I did want to point out one thing that has been missing from the whole conversation that I think would have prevented the whole affair. The stadium was setup so that both teams parents were behind the BYU bench. Our players went running across to celebrate with loved ones and it really looked like they were running across to taunt. This came straight from a mom of one of the players. This setup was poor planning on the part of the bowl but still does not excuse the actions at the end of a great game.



Good luck to your young men in the future.

I can see that. You feel bad that such a fun bowl game gets lost in the aftermath. I think that both teams are better than they showed right after the thing ended
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
uofmtigerfan wrote:
First, I come in peace. I did want to come over an offer a sincere apology for the ending of the game. It certainly did not make either school look good and we both have a lot to hang our heads about.



I did want to point out one thing that has been missing from the whole conversation that I think would have prevented the whole affair. The stadium was setup so that both teams parents were behind the BYU bench. Our players went running across to celebrate with loved ones and it really looked like they were running across to taunt. This came straight from a mom of one of the players. This setup was poor planning on the part of the bowl but still does not excuse the actions at the end of a great game.



Good luck to your young men in the future.


That's a very good point if that's how it was set up. My guess is the Miami Beach Brawl Committee will learn from that for the next game.
U
uofmtigerfan
Our coach at Memphis, Justin Fuente, is pure class. He took over a complete dumpster fire and is turning the program around. We took huge stride this year but learning how to win with dignity and class is still not there. It really ruined a great day for this Alum.



I know the coaching staff fairly well and the teach personal responsibility and being good men daily. Yesterday was an utter failure. Really took the shine off for them as well.
S
snoscythe
KingCoug wrote:
Gordon Monson the Hack strikes again. Seriously, I wish this guy would just die of testicular cancer already.



http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1982115-155/monson-after-brawl-byu-football-hardly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I think that's an anatomical impossibility for the individual in question.



Also, how do you "round house punch" someone? Sounds like the ADA is impacting martial arts instruction for double-leg amputees...
S
stuckinbig10country
uofmtigerfan wrote:
First, I come in peace. I did want to come over an offer a sincere apology for the ending of the game. It certainly did not make either school look good and we both have a lot to hang our heads about.



I did want to point out one thing that has been missing from the whole conversation that I think would have prevented the whole affair. The stadium was setup so that both teams parents were behind the BYU bench. Our players went running across to celebrate with loved ones and it really looked like they were running across to taunt. This came straight from a mom of one of the players. This setup was poor planning on the part of the bowl but still does not excuse the actions at the end of a great game.



Good luck to your young men in the future.


Thank you. Yes, it was poor planning by the committee to put all the families behind one of the benches. Having a whole team running to your sideline sure puts people on edge. It's unfortunate.



It does appear that a few misguided players started taunting the BYU QB, and it just went from there.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.