Archived Topic

Was this season a success?

by Brayden Green · 12/23/2014

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Split question. Curious to see what people think:



I'll start. I put "No, and trending downwards."



Versus our weakest schedule in possibly a decade, here are the results for the end of the regular season: (I'll update once we get bowl results, for those teams that made it to a bowl)



BYU 8-5 overall. Loss to Memphis in bowl game.



W - Uconn (2-10 AAC)

W - Texas (6-6 Big 12), *** bowl yet to play Dec. 29th

W - Houston (7-5 AAC) *** bowl Jan 2

W - Virginia (5-7 ACC)

L - Utah State (10-4 MWC) *** Won bowl game against UTEP

L - UCF (9-3 AAC) *** bowl game Dec 26th against N. Carolina

L - UNR (7-6 MWC) *** loss to LA-Lafeyette

L - Boise St (11-2 MWC) *** bowl game against Arizona

W - Midd Tenn St (6-6 C-USA)

W - UNLV (2-11 MWC)

W - Savannah St (0-12, Div 1 AA)

W - Cal (5-7, Pac-12)



L - Memphis (10-3 AAC)
C
CAFB_04-12
Nope. Bad loss to the #MemphisThugs was the tipping point for me.



I just want this season to go away.
Y
YNot
No way. Back in August, 10 wins would have been a successful season. Anything less would have been ho-hum against a ho-hum schedule.



After re-evaluating things when Taysom went down, 9 wins - especially with a bowl win over the American champion - would have been an successful season.



But, losing in a game that we had every opportunity to win - and ending with a melee sealed the deal that 2014 was not a successful season.
B
BoiseBYU
No in the abstract. Yes in the here and now. To lose so many franchise players, and when we lost them, and still be as competitive as we were, yes is the definite answer for me. I wished for more, as I bet every dang player and coach on that team strived for, but I got more than I think I am entitled to expect. IF BSU lost their starting QB and RB and top LB and CB and safeties, quite sure they'd be no different than us. But let's think positive! It is not every year you get to see two totally different offenses! And one implemented half way through the season! Best wishes to all. Merry Christmas
F
frdbtr
I voted not sure. BYU should have won more games. If the defense would have performed at the level we are used to, we would have had a shot to go undefeated. Having said that, we lost our 2 best offensive players for the season and still averaged over 35 pts per game, not many teams could have done that.
Advertisement
Y
YNot
The Utah St. and Boise St. losses were embarrassing.



Better coaching would have led to wins over Nevada, UCF, and Memphis, despite the sub-par defense.



BYU should have finished the season at 11-2 and ranked in the top-25.
B
Brayden Green
Changed the poll. If you voted please re-vote. Curious about your views to the program trending-wise also (I didn't know that would erase votes... Doh!) Thanks,



Love and Merry Christmas!
S
SpiffCoug
With a bowl win it could have been considered a success given everything the team had to overcome. But with the loss it just isn't.
S
Schmoe
Given everything that happened this year (losing our Heisman-caliber QB, leading RB, and tough injuries in the secondary), I'd say that while this season was rough, my outlook is positive for next season.
A
AmmonCougar1
Given I am generally an optimist I put yes and about the same in a positive way. Having read parts of the System and knowing how corrupt sports are at almost every level (sadly including little leagues with kids younger than 12 yrs old) I am thrilled beyond words that the coach of the team I love the most is more concerned about helping shape their lives into good people than great players.



I'm sure in the minority but I love the offense with Stewart more than with Taysom. I think it is a more team oriented offense that is ultimately more difficult for the opposing defense to stop. If I was a receiver I would much rather play with Christian that Taysom.



I'm sad for the way things ended. I think we should have won but I watched a very good game where my team didn't roll over after being down twice by 10 pts.



On to Basketball!

Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID



ps. Next season worries me. I don't think we are going bowling based on my perspective of things as they are right now. There went my optimism huh?
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
AmmonCougar1 wrote:

I'm sure in the minority but I love the offense with Stewart more than with Taysom...


You are; most of us like an offense that wins ;)
K
KingCoug
Heck no it wasn't a success. Everything was set up nicely for us to run the table and we ended up losing 4 in a row to teams we shouldn't have, Hill or no Hill. Bronco allowed the defense to go to pot and our offense wasn't good enough to make up for it. And the bowl game was just the final fly on the stinking turd of a season.
G
Guest
The season was certainly not a success, nor was it the raging failure that some fans are trying to make it out to be in a misguided attempt to fire the best head coach that BYU has ever employed.
S
stuckinbig10country
hawkwing wrote:
The season was certainly not a success, nor was it the raging failure that some fans are trying to make it out to be in a misguided attempt to fire the best head coach that BYU has ever employed.


Bold statement...and I'm not sure you're wrong.
G
Guest
stuckinbig10country wrote:
The season was certainly not a success, nor was it the raging failure that some fans are trying to make it out to be in a misguided attempt to fire the best head coach that BYU has ever employed.


Bold statement...and I'm not sure you're wrong.


It is definitely a bold statement, and it's not entirely clear cut, as LaVell was clearly the best in his time, but I think there are many valid arguments to say Bronco is better than LaVell.
Advertisement
F
Fido
YNot wrote:
The Utah St. and Boise St. losses were embarrassing.



Better coaching would have led to wins over Nevada, UCF, and Memphis, despite the sub-par defense.



BYU should have finished the season at 11-2 and ranked in the top-25.

IF they were a better team. I think we saw over the course of the season how good this year's team was.
S
stuckinbig10country
I put not sure, and trending about the same (positive).



I honestly don't think we've calculated the factor of the missionary age change enough. We are holding a ton of scholarships for this recruiting class (and next one too, I believe) that would have helped us fill some immediate needs if they were available to us.



I'm kind of grateful we have 3, possibly 4, open schollies coming up for this offseason that we weren't planning on.



I believe in the end, the missionary age change will end up being a good thing for all the teams at BYU (except for maybe some of the women's teams, but...); however, the immediate impact has been kind of a disaster.
F
Fido
Not a success and trending down. I'm hoping the influx of new talent with returning missionaries and the recruiting class can help the team be more solid. The defense needs help, the team generally needs more discipline and consistency. I'm hoping the scrutiny that the brawl brings will help in that process.
K
KingCoug
hawkwing wrote:
The season was certainly not a success, nor was it the raging failure that some fans are trying to make it out to be in a misguided attempt to fire the best head coach that BYU has ever employed.


Talk about low expectations.
A
ABYUFAN
I'm with Hawkwing on this one. It cannot be a success, but it also was not a waste of time. There were some good moments, some great games, and good stories that came from the season. I love the Stewart storyline. Unfortunately, it probably ended as it should have. He's a god kid, great story, not a great quarterback. He never was going to be the guy that could put a team on his shoulders and carry them to a victory, but it was fun while it lasted. He’ll go on and presumably have a good life, and we all smiled a few times this season because of him; isn't that really what sports is about. Trying like hell to win, and when you don't being satisfied because you know that you tried your hardest?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.