Archived Topic

Priority #1 in the off season

by frdbtr · 12/22/2014

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Fix the defense. 55pts. Disgusting.
A
AmmonCougar1
frdbtr wrote:
Fix the defense. 55pts. Disgusting.


X2. BSu too. Unacceptable.
B
BoiseBYU
Fix D, yes, but more specifically, find a pass rush....
S
Stirfry
Making sure Nacua isn't kicked off the team.....
B
BoiseBYU
Surely there is a book out there "Clock Management for Dummies"?? If so...send it to the man
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
BoiseBYU wrote:
Surely there is a book out there "Clock Management for Dummies"?? If so...send it to the man


I'll have to say that this is something Bronco has been bad at for 10 years. I don't know why he has never improved in clock management.
B
Brayden Green
frdbtr wrote:
Surely there is a book out there "Clock Management for Dummies"?? If so...send it to the man


I'll have to say that this is something Bronco has been bad at for 10 years. I don't know why he has never improved in clock management.


He doesn't watch college football? (Asked seriously)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
BoiseBYU wrote:
Surely there is a book out there "Clock Management for Dummies"?? If so...send it to the man


Or as a bedtime story for the kids:



Alexander and the no good terrible horrible very bad clock management.
K
KingCoug
Priority #1 is finding a NEW HEAD COACH. I don't remember if Bronco has one or two years left on his contract but I feel pretty dang safe in assuming he'll do nothing from now until the end that will change my mind. The guy is not a gamer, plain and simple.
B
BroncoBot
KingCoug wrote:
The guy is not a gamer, plain and simple.

Prove it.
Advertisement
W
Wolverine
Find a D Coordinator who is not in over his head. Howell makes for a nice position coach.
S
snoscythe
Wolverine wrote:
Find a D Coordinator who is not in over his head. Howell makes for a nice position coach.


This article from before the season in July is where I had my first misgivings about Howell as a DC:



http://deepshadesofblue.com/byu-football-casting-defensive-shadows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



When you have someone who's never been a DC at any level trying to revolutionize fundamental philosophies of an 11-man defense, it gives you pause. This overthought approach is why we wasted half the season with Bronson pretending to be an OLB and why guys in the secondary with greater skills and playmaking ability are left behind less dynamic guys who are 2 inches taller.



What needs to happen this off-season is Bronco needs to get in Howell's ear and tell him--"No playing mad scientist until you keep every opponent under 23 points with my defensive alignments and pitch some shutouts."
S
stuckinbig10country
#1 Priority, get healthy and find the right strength and conditioning coach. I believe those go hand in hand.
S
stuckinbig10country
KingCoug wrote:
Priority #1 is finding a NEW HEAD COACH. I don't remember if Bronco has one or two years left on his contract but I feel pretty dang safe in assuming he'll do nothing from now until the end that will change my mind. The guy is not a gamer, plain and simple.


Definitely, because firing a coach with a 70% win rate always turns out well. /sarcasm



I wouldn't be surprised to see Bronco be asked to resign after the brawl yesterday. And if he does, I hope he goes out like Rocky Long did in New Mexico. I guarantee we'll go through 2 head coaches (at least) before we find one that even approaches Bronco's success.
G
Guest
stuckinbig10country wrote:
#1 Priority, get healthy and find the right strength and conditioning coach. I believe those go hand in hand.

Great point. SC coach has got to be our top priority. BYU needs to open up their purse strings and get an elite level guy.
Advertisement
G
Guest
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Priority #1 is finding a NEW HEAD COACH. I don't remember if Bronco has one or two years left on his contract but I feel pretty dang safe in assuming he'll do nothing from now until the end that will change my mind. The guy is not a gamer, plain and simple.


Definitely, because firing a coach with a 70% win rate always turns out well. /sarcasm



I wouldn't be surprised to see Bronco be asked to resign after the brawl yesterday. And if he does, I hope he goes out like Rocky Long did in New Mexico. I guarantee we'll go through 2 head coaches (at least) before we find one that even approaches Bronco's success.


Yeah, we may end up a revolving door of Mormon coaches here.
K
KingCoug
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Definitely, because firing a coach with a 70% win rate always turns out well. /sarcasm


The Bronco defenders just love to cite that 70% win rate. Of course, the devil is in the details. Last time I checked, 70% was like a C- or something. And the majority of that 70% is against sub-par teams. Bronco has a losing record against ranked/BCS/P5 opponents. He's like 5-18 against opponents above .700.



There was a time where he at least beat the teams he was supposed to beat. Now he often doesn't even do that. What good is it if you beat Texas and Virginia only to lose to Utah State and Nevada? To date his best win is still against TCU in 2006.



All the stats aren't in yet but compare BYU under Bronco 2004-2009 and 2010-2014. Talk about a downward trend. And does anyone think he'll ever get us beyond that 10-3/11-2 ceiling? Not me. He's not a gamer. No matter what our schedule is he'll screw it up somewhere along the way. Like many have said, he's fool's gold.
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
Find a D Coordinator who is not in over his head. Howell makes for a nice position coach.


This article from before the season in July is where I had my first misgivings about Howell as a DC:



http://deepshadesofblue.com/byu-football-casting-defensive-shadows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



When you have someone who's never been a DC at any level trying to revolutionize fundamental philosophies of an 11-man defense, it gives you pause. This overthought approach is why we wasted half the season with Bronson pretending to be an OLB and why guys in the secondary with greater skills and playmaking ability are left behind less dynamic guys who are 2 inches taller.



What needs to happen this off-season is Bronco needs to get in Howell's ear and tell him--"No playing mad scientist until you keep every opponent under 23 points with my defensive alignments and pitch some shutouts."


Wow. Golden find. I had no idea this article or philosophy existed. I wasn't sure where I stood on the "fire Howell" noise happening out there, but if he is responsible (solely) for moving Kaufusi off of the Dline, he deserves to be fired (as I pointed out mid season). Whomever is responsible for taking the only person getting consistent pressure AND EVEN SACKING THE QB THROUGH DOUBLE AND TRIPLE TEAMS.... well, that guy has no understanding for defensive football. You take the best player out of a top 5 defense and move him, and the wheels come off after that.



I don't know which is worse, that he is nepotistic starting PoVey over Jackson, Leavitt and Nacua, or the alternative... that he is so bad at personell decisions that he thinks moving a 6'7 265 pound atheticism freak of nature into the flats is a good idea.



Bronson should be pissed for a wasted year. With a year like last year he could have declared this year or next year at the latest. Out in space guarding slots, nobody cares.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
KingCoug wrote:
Definitely, because firing a coach with a 70% win rate always turns out well. /sarcasm


The Bronco defenders just love to cite that 70% win rate. Of course, the devil is in the details. Last time I checked, 70% was like a C- or something. And the majority of that 70% is against sub-par teams. Bronco has a losing record against ranked/BCS/P5 opponents. He's like 5-18 against opponents above .700.



There was a time where he at least beat the teams he was supposed to beat. Now he often doesn't even do that. What good is it if you beat Texas and Virginia only to lose to Utah State and Nevada? To date his best win is still against TCU in 2006.



All the stats aren't in yet but compare BYU under Bronco 2004-2009 and 2010-2014. Talk about a downward trend. And does anyone think he'll ever get us beyond that 10-3/11-2 ceiling? Not me. He's not a gamer. No matter what our schedule is he'll screw it up somewhere along the way. Like many have said, he's fool's gold.


Aren't the majority of most coaches wins against sub-par teams? I'd also wager that there's probably less than 7 coaches with winning records against ranked teams. That's why teams are ranked. There's also very few to no coaches that can take you past an 11-2 ceiling. When your that close those two depend on chance as much as anything usually.



I'm all for the downward trend though. That is almost 100% attributable to the Reilly Nelson decision which still frustrates me to no end. Just think if we had a Brad Sorensen or young C. Stewart back then. We could have been pretty good. If Bronco really does leave this off-season, it will be almost fully attributable to what happened between Max Hall and 2014.
W
Wolverine
snoscythe wrote:
Find a D Coordinator who is not in over his head. Howell makes for a nice position coach.


This article from before the season in July is where I had my first misgivings about Howell as a DC:



http://deepshadesofblue.com/byu-football-casting-defensive-shadows/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



When you have someone who's never been a DC at any level trying to revolutionize fundamental philosophies of an 11-man defense, it gives you pause. This overthought approach is why we wasted half the season with Bronson pretending to be an OLB and why guys in the secondary with greater skills and playmaking ability are left behind less dynamic guys who are 2 inches taller.



What needs to happen this off-season is Bronco needs to get in Howell's ear and tell him--"No playing mad scientist until you keep every opponent under 23 points with my defensive alignments and pitch some shutouts."

Interesting article. IMO the Bronson experiment was a failure. I wonder if Howell's philosophy could somehow translate to interior post play on the hardwood to generate a few more points in the paint ;)
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.