Archived Topic

icing the PAT

by Brayden Green · 12/22/2014

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
2 timeouts gone. Laughing stock of the nation.



:skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnuecpRoCp4&feature=youtu.be
A
ABYUFAN
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Laughing stock of the nation.




I thought that I knew what this phrase meant, but the way that you're using it here, I'm not sure if I do....
S
stuckinbig10country
I honestly thought he was a little worried they might fake the PAT and go for the win. I understand 1 TO for that, but the 2nd one was iffy.
S
SpiffCoug
I "could" understand calling one timeout there. You're worried they may go for two and end the game and you might want to get Mathews out there to try and block it. So maybe you call one timeout to get the right personnel on the field and to remind the players to stay home and watch for something crazy.



I can't understand calling two. There was enough time to potentially move the ball into field goal with a timeout.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Bronco's clock management is terrible. It is one of his only weaknesses as a coach, but I fear it keeps him from being an elite coach. Still, I am great full we have him.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
It's one of those decisions that, if it worked and the Memphis kicker missed the try, it's genius. One time-out to ice and to get everyone sure to prevent a fake is the best move. Calling two in a row, meh, you just never know. Putting the kicker (and holder, and snapper) in a situation they're not used to, and who knows. Sometimes you just take a chance at something odd. Hindsight is 20-20.



With the way our O had been playing, the better armchair coaching decision was probably to keep the 2 timeouts. It puts faith in Hine to get a good return (or just take it to the house, we've seen it before), and says, "Offense, one more march down the field to set up field goal range and win it ourselves."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
This is the guy that rekicked an out of bounds kickoff because he had such faith in his return game, and now he doesn't?



Besides the actual strategy of it, I think it's a douche move to do that to an unpaid college student.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
This is the guy that rekicked an out of bounds kickoff because he had such faith in his return game, and now he doesn't?



Besides the actual strategy of it, I think it's a douche move to do that to an unpaid college student.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah, how douchey to work within the rules to try to make the other team perform worse than your team so you can win the game...
U
Ungoy
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Besides the actual strategy of it, I think it's a douche move to do that to an unpaid college student.


Oh brother, give it a rest!
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Besides the actual strategy of it, I think it's a douche move to do that to an unpaid college student.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Good grief.



http://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/facepalm1.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
Ungoy
CAFB_04-12, I think this goes beyond normal facepalming...



http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Apparently I'm in the minority about that? That's fine. I guess we could resort to prank calling their hotel rooms all night so they don't get any sleep...



I just miss the days when we used to punish people for daring to step on the field with us, instead of resorting to gimmicky stuff. Like '09 Oklahoma, and other games.
C
CAFB_04-12
I'm pretty sure BYU called a timeout before that 2009 Oklahoma kick that missed, but I could be wrong about that.
M
Mars
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Bronco's clock management is terrible. It is one of his only weaknesses as a coach, but I fear it keeps him from being an elite coach. Still, I am great full we have him.

No, just one of his most glaring. Like hiring good assistant coaches.
Advertisement
C
CrimsonCoug
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Bronco's clock management is terrible. It is one of his only weaknesses as a coach, but I fear it keeps him from being an elite coach. Still, I am great full we have him.


I agree. What I'm surprised hasn't been pointed out, though (maybe on other boards? I don't frequent them, too much noise, not enough signal) is where those time out should have been used.



We put Memphis in 4th and long twice on the tying drive. Those 4th downs were HUGE difference makers. Why not see what the offense is going to do and then call a timeout to set up a counter while giving the D an opportunity to catch their breath and get their heads straight in the midst of a very long drive? The two timeouts would have been much better used on those downs, or even on just one--on the goal line after they already converted a 4th down. Using more than 1 timeout on the PAT was inefficient. The fact the Bronco couldn't "acknowledge" that, to use his vernacular, is disappointing. These clock management issues go back at least the end of the first half of the 2007 BYU-UCLA game where we had a similar issue--opposing team driving in waning seconds and converting 3rd and 4th downs, and we have 3 TOs to spend. At least this time around Bronco spent them--but still too late.



Still, I'm very glad we have Bronco.
C
Cougarfan87
Those would not have been a bad way to use the timeouts. Personally, I would have saved them for when I got the ball back. Around forty five seconds to go and two timeouts (I think we burned one earlier) would be plenty of time to move into field goal range and possibly avoid overtime altogether.
S
SpiffCoug
The biggest failure on those two 4th downs was to not have Bronson Kaufusi rushing the QB, but in dropping into pass coverage.



With the game on the line, BYU did not put their best players in their positions to do what they do best.
C
Cougs_Rule
Mars wrote:
Bronco's clock management is terrible. It is one of his only weaknesses as a coach, but I fear it keeps him from being an elite coach. Still, I am great full we have him.

No, just one of his most glaring. Like hiring good assistant coaches.


This. Bronco has a few more problems than just clock management. Not sure it's even his most glaring. But am Elite coach? Really? Where are all the job offers if he is just one skillset away from an Elite coach?
C
Cougarfan87
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
Bronco's clock management is terrible. It is one of his only weaknesses as a coach, but I fear it keeps him from being an elite coach. Still, I am great full we have him.

No, just one of his most glaring. Like hiring good assistant coaches.


This. Bronco has a few more problems than just clock management. Not sure it's even his most glaring. But am Elite coach? Really? Where are all the job offers if he is just one skillset away from an Elite coach?


"One of" means there are others, but not a lot of them. Also, I stated he was not an elite coach. If someone is kept from being something it means they are not yet that something. All that being said, I am glad we have him. I stand by that.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.