Archived Topic

So'oto's status

by cougfan1 · 12/15/2009

Advertisement
C
cougfan1
I remember hearing from some individuals that So'oto may have a medical redshirt year available still. Does anyone know if that is even a possibility? I would like to have him another year. I always have thought that he had a lot of potential, but I don't think he has had much chance to show it with injuries and position changes.
D
Ddawg
I haven't heard. Very interested - as you are in the answer. So'to is a bonafied stud!!!!

8)
B
byutx
Bronco seemed optimistic about it at one of his live Coach's shows. I'm pretty sure it's all but guaranteed. He's a textbook case and not going on a mission will be a big help.
S
scott715
We won't know until after the season, probaly early summer. The NCAA really drags these out. The chances are a toss up. I can't figure out their rationale for accept/reject decisions.
A
a1247
So'oto's career has been one that I have been waiting to blossum. Maybe if he does get another year he could switch back to tight end and have the type of season we all thought he would have when he first commited to BYU.
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
I hope he does because he is GOOD. i think he will be an upgrade from last year.
F
frdbtr
a1247 wrote:
So'oto's career has been one that I have been waiting to blossum. Maybe if he does get another year he could switch back to tight end and have the type of season we all thought he would have when he first commited to BYU.


I hope they don't switch his position again. Leave him at DE, he is an animal there and has been making plays in a back up role. Get him another year of eligibility and let him start there next year.
C
craigoscarson
BTW - where's McGregor been? I thought this was going to be his new home - I'd love to hear from someone that had been close to the program on this
J
jonnylingo
frdbtr wrote:
So'oto's career has been one that I have been waiting to blossum. Maybe if he does get another year he could switch back to tight end and have the type of season we all thought he would have when he first commited to BYU.


I hope they don't switch his position again. Leave him at DE, he is an animal there and has been making plays in a back up role. Get him another year of eligibility and let him start there next year.


Agreed!
M
Mars


Senior DT Russell Tialavea is also applying for a medical redshirt, before leaving on his mission December 30th. I'm really happy for him and how everything has turned out.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I don't think Tialavea will get a medical RS. Simply because he would need an eighth year of eligibility and the NCAA rarely grants those.

Year 1: 2005 - RS

Year 2: 2006 - Played

Year 3: 2007 - Injured

Year 4: 2008 - Played

Year 5: 2009 - Played

Year 6: 2010 - Mission

Year 7: 2011 - Mission

Year 8: 2012 - Would need to be granted both a Medical Hardship and an 8th year of eligibility.



I just don't see this happening.
S
snoscythe
kitic77 wrote:
I don't think Tialavea will get a medical RS. Simply because he would need an eighth year of eligibility and the NCAA rarely grants those.

Year 1: 2005 - RS

Year 2: 2006 - Played

Year 3: 2007 - Injured

Year 4: 2008 - Played

Year 5: 2009 - Played

Year 6: 2010 - Mission

Year 7: 2011 - Mission

Year 8: 2012 - Would need to be granted both a Medical Hardship and an 8th year of eligibility.



I just don't see this happening.


The NCAA will rule on his Medical Hardship before next season, so his mission would not be a factor in their decision. They simply grant him the extra year of eligibility, and then it's up to him when to use it.



If he had already gone on his mission and returned, I would agree with you, but since he hasn't gone yet, the NCAA won't have that to factor in yet--RT needs to be gone for more than a year for the special mission rules to kick in.
F
Florwood
Mars wrote:


Senior DT Russell Tialavea is also applying for a medical redshirt, before leaving on his mission December 30th. I'm really happy for him and how everything has turned out.


If there's any silver lining to not being in a January bowl game, it's that Tialavea gets to play in it before heading out on his mission.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.