Archived Topic

Mike Riley headed to NEB. Bronco to Or.St. Rumors Begin.

by snoscythe · 12/4/2014

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I wonder if Sitake winds up at Colorado St?



I don't think Bronco would go to Oregon St. But maybe.
B
byufan4ever
And how is Riley better than Pelini? Pelini was 9-3 this season, Riley 5-7 and only 93-80 as a coach.
C
Cougarfan87
byufan4ever wrote:
And how is Riley better than Pelini? Pelini was 9-3 this season, Riley 5-7 and only 93-80 as a coach.


This seems like a panic hire, but I am sure Nebraska knows more than I do.
W
Wolverine
They want someone who has recruiting ties to California and a personality that will connect with a passionate fan base. Pellini couldn't do either, Reilly will. Reilly has the intangibles and is a very good and well respected coach. Solid hire for Nebraska.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
Wolverine wrote:
They want someone who has recruiting ties to California and a personality that will connect with a passionate fan base. Pellini couldn't do either, Reilly will. Reilly has the intangibles and is a very good and well respected coach. Solid hire for Nebraska.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I'm not seeing a lot of California kids with talent choosing Nebraska over, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, or Stanford. But I could be wrong about that. Riley seems like a classy guy, so I hope he does well.
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
I wonder if Sitake winds up at Colorado St?



I don't think Bronco would go to Oregon St. But maybe.


It might be going out on a limb, but if I were Oregon State I'd go after Sitake--he'd corner some polys who want to play in the PAC12 and on the west coast.....
F
Fido
BoiseBYU wrote:
I wonder if Sitake winds up at Colorado St?



I don't think Bronco would go to Oregon St. But maybe.


It might be going out on a limb, but if I were Oregon State I'd go after Sitake--he'd corner some polys who want to play in the PAC12 and on the west coast.....

I was on a drive for a good chunk of the day and the sports radio talk is that the knock on Sitake is no head coaching experience. Reportedly Matt Wells from Utah State and Bronco have also been mentioned in connection to Oregon State. But they believe that Sitake would be the best hire out of those 3 because he has proven they can slow the best offenses in the PAC with his defense and they might want to go with that. Although word is OSU suffers from a lack of institutional support and is one of the only schools in the PAC to not have upgraded their facilities with all the PAC money that came in with the last contract. So that makes recruiting kind of tough.



I also wonder if this makes Brayden Kearsley question his transfer. Wasn't he going to OSU?
S
Stirfry
Fido wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
I wonder if Sitake winds up at Colorado St?



I don't think Bronco would go to Oregon St. But maybe.


It might be going out on a limb, but if I were Oregon State I'd go after Sitake--he'd corner some polys who want to play in the PAC12 and on the west coast.....

I was on a drive for a good chunk of the day and the sports radio talk is that the knock on Sitake is no head coaching experience. Reportedly Matt Wells from Utah State and Bronco have also been mentioned in connection to Oregon State. But they believe that Sitake would be the best hire out of those 3 because he has proven they can slow the best offenses in the PAC with his defense and they might want to go with that. Although word is OSU suffers from a lack of institutional support and is one of the only schools in the PAC to not have upgraded their facilities with all the PAC money that came in with the last contract. So that makes recruiting kind of tough.



I also wonder if this makes Brayden Kearsley question his transfer. Wasn't he going to OSU?


Is there any talk nationally about Sitake? There's a lot of local talk it seems but he's a defensive coordinator using the system of the old defensive coordinator who just happens to be the very controlling head coach.
S
stuckinbig10country
The real issue at Oregon State is they want to pay their head coach less than the 2 million that they were paying for Riley.



Oregon State will drop to the bottom of the Pac 12, yes even below Colorado, now that Riley is gone. They have done nothing with the new TV money to upgrade their athletic department, especially compared to the other 11 teams in their league.



The parallels between BYU and Oregon State are kind of eerie. If Bronco leaves, it will have a similar effect on BYU's program that Riley leaving OSU will have. (Unless Bronco goes to OSU, then they'll be really good.)
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Wrote Newberg:



"I have been told that Oregon State has had phone discussions with four candidates for their head coaching vacancy - Brady Hoke, BYU coach Brono(sic) Mendenhall, Utah State coach Matt Wells and Eastern Washington coach Beau Baldwin."



Will Mendenhall take the OSU job if it is offered to him? I don’t think so.



http://www.sltrib.com/home/1927418-155/report-byus-mendenhall-contacted-by-oregon
S
Stirfry
I really hope this doesn't happen. It would be kind of fun and interesting to see but I have a really hard time seeing our odds of coming out of the Bronco era with a better coach and more success as better than 10%-20%. If we get in the BIG12 and need to find a coach it's one thing but if we had to hire a coach right now it would be a hard sell.
G
Guest
Ungoy wrote:
Bronco will not be leaving to go to Oregon St. Looks like Oregon St. was able to lure Gary Andersen away from Wisconsin.



https://twitter.com/OSUBeaversFB/status/542809428358361088/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


What?! Very strange move. Almost feels like an April Fools day joke.
U
Ungoy
I know, right? Maybe Gary hates Wisconsin winters? No way Oregon St. is on par with Wisconsin.
Advertisement
F
Fido
Sports talk radio is saying that Anderson was frustrated with the amount of financial support he got at Wisconsin for things like Assistant Coaches.

And he probably wanted to get out west again.
V
vancouvercougar
Wisconsin got the :utard: kicked out of them in the Big 10 Championship game. I wonder if something wasn't already in the works for Gary.
C
Cougs_Rule
My theories to explain this odd move are as follows:

1. He took serious heat for a very poor showing vs OSU and felt his job might be in jeopardy.

2. A little less likely, but I wouldn't put it past the Big10, he was asked to lay down and give up the game so OSU looks like world beaters and they get into playoff--which would mean much more revenue to the big 10 schools. And Gary said, this is bogus and I'm out,



Regardless, I always felt that Wisc was a stretch for Gary and that OSU is more of a proportional move for him.
K
kjjson
hawkwing wrote:
Bronco will not be leaving to go to Oregon St. Looks like Oregon St. was able to lure Gary Andersen away from Wisconsin.



https://twitter.com/OSUBeaversFB/status/542809428358361088/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


What?! Very strange move. Almost feels like an April Fools day joke.


Gary has been listening to the Yewts and all of their fans that there is nothing better in the world than Pac 12, and now he can get a Pac 12 sticker too.
S
stuckinbig10country
I'm fairly confident Bronco was offered the OSU job. I'm not sure he turned it down or if Andersen showed interest and OSU rescinded the offer.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.