EM_Puma wrote:
As I've made clear, besides BYU being my #1, I was born a bred a OSU Buckeye fan. So I took advantage of watching the earlier game of the evening of OSU vs. Marquette. It was nice to see what Matt Carlino was up to. He played practically the whole game as Marquette, because of injury/qualification issues, they only had 8 players dressed.
Carlino was a different player. Either he matured some over the year, or his coach had him on a short leash, but he didn't simply run down the court and launch a 3 10 seconds into the set. We seemed to then live or die by if it was an off or on night when Carlino was at BYU. Here he was the perennial point guard trying to work the ball inside. Marquette is more of a half-court offense working the in and out game. Problem for them was that OSU was run and gun and were popping the 3 one after another. Marquette fell behind eventually as I would have ran and gunned a team with only 8 players dressed as well. Overall I think it was a good thing for Carlino to leave for both sides, but I wouldn't have been sad if he had stayed.
Then I watched the BYU vs. ARLR game. First off it was almost like watching a high school game, after having watched a college level game. There was more athleticism and smoothness to both OSU and Marquette's game. It simply flowed different and was smooth. BYU scored well over the night, but I can't quite get my finger on it--it just looks very sloppy the way they do it--lacking grace and style, but somehow getting the job done.
I'll take Chase Fischer over Matt Carlino straight up, but both are good people to have on your team. I just don't think this team by committee is the answer. I think there needs to be a better, less changed rotation. After watching 4 games now I'd start Collinsworth, Haws, Fischer, Winder and Austin. Those five seem to gel well together and have a good flow about them.
Based on what I saw over the last four games, SDSU is going to beat us by a good 20 or more points.
We shall see, but I don't believe that SDSU beats us by 20+. I think it will be a very competitive game. SDSU will lock down on BYU defensively making it difficult to score, but at the same time they are not an offensive juggernaut. BYU right now is definitely a work in progress as far as the rotation goes and will continue to be in a state of flux for the next little while. A lot of new guys getting some time and feel for things. Obviously Fischer has settled in no problem and has been a critical piece of the puzzle from day 1. Collinsworth will take some time to continue to round into form, but I like the progress so far. Haws, Austin, Winder, and Halford are known quantities. Worthington has improved more than I thought he would, and I hope he continues to improve going forward. The unknowns as to what their roles will be include Nielsen, Kaufusi, Toolson, Nixon, and Bartley. There aren't enough minutes for all of these guys, so it will be interesting to see who rises to the top. Here are the stat lines from 3 of the teams mentioned in your post. Without taking the time to do the math, can you identify who is who? So BYU didn't pass your eye test last night. Not always the best indicator. This team will be fine this year. Not great, but will be in the bubble discussion come March.
FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF
23-50 8-23 9-13 5 18 23 17 6 1 16 12
46.0% 34.8% 69.2%
37-69 7-20 10-20 13 34 47 22 9 0 11 18
53.6% 35.0% 50.0%
32-49 8-15 2-4 1 25 26 23 7 3 18 17
65.3% 53.3% 50.0%