Archived Topic

LBSU Ratings

by byufan4ever · 11/18/2014

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
Here are my ratings based off of the players' stats for the LBSU game:


BYU PER 2014-11-18.PNG

Of course stats only tell part of the story. I think Fischer just looks like a baller. First half was just awful defense and we allowed way too many offensive boards. It seemed like the rotation changed a lot in the second half



My PER rating = PTS - missed FGs - missed FTs + (Reb*.75) + (Ast*2) + (Blk*1.5) + (Stl*2) - (TO*2)
G
Guest
Great stats, thanks for posting this.
S
snoscythe
Collinsworth continues to suck [/tic]
S
SpiffCoug
Just an idea, that will probably work later in the season when we have more data, but maybe for the first 10 games of the season you can you last year's data?



But what if you list what the team average is and then base the awesome, good, decent, poor, etc ratings based on the average.



For instance 3x the average would be awesome. 2x the average would be good. Within 5 points of the average decent, and so on.
B
byufan4ever
I like the idea of having a basis for what is considered decent/good/awesome. I do not like using the current season as a basis because if we're having a crappy year then it doesn't take much for an individual to look good. I will see how much of my formula I can apply to past years to get a good historical basis.



Last season I only tracked my ratings through the second Santa Clara game, but a quick look at the season averages through that game is 10.61. So I could do:



Awesome Game = Ave X 3 = 31.83

Good Game = Ave X 2 = 21.22

Decent Game = Ave X 1.5 = 15.92



I also had previously looked at Jimmer's senior year and he averaged 23.56 with a high of 50.00 against Utah and Davies' senior year with an average of 19.57 and high of 39.25 against Georgia St. So those are some good individual comparisons. But I'll get more numbers from past seasons and come up with a better average to use for this season.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.