Archived Topic

So THAT'S why you don't rotate punt return duties!

by Brayden Green · 11/16/2014

Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
I get it now... :roll:



Pick a guy as your returner and stay with him. Give him every opportunity... that's the least you can ask and expect from a "feel" position



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Just for nostalgia, can we put Dye back there?
S
SpiffCoug
I'm guessing that muffed punt is why there had been so much rotation at punt returner. BYU has really struggled this year to find a guy, just one guy, who can cleanly and consistently field a punt.



Not fielding a punt cleanly is on each player who has tried 100%. It is 100% I in the players as to why we've seen so much rotation.
G
Guest
Maybe they just haven't coached them to catch the ball yet.</sarcasm >



When I saw Blackmon start so late to go after that punt, I knew he wasn't going to get there in time, I even yelled to stay away from it, but for some reason, he didn't hear me, and just went full speed into turnover mode.
B
BoiseBYU
As bad as the punt muffs were, I was even more disappointed in the kick off and punt coverage. We muffed a pooch AND we gave up a number of large returns. We did down one punt on the one yard line, but ST play was poor
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Makes you wish we had Falsev still back there...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm guessing that muffed punt is why there had been so much rotation at punt returner. BYU has really struggled this year to find a guy, just one guy, who can cleanly and consistently field a punt.



Not fielding a punt cleanly is on each player who has tried 100%. It is 100% I in the players as to why we've seen so much rotation.


Sure, but that doesn't make much sense. You pick the most reliable guy and give him 100% of the game duties until he messes up, then you go with the next most reliable guy. When he messes up then maybe you go back to the other guy, or try someone new. We haven't lost a punt yet, so why rotate them the entire year up to this point? It makes no sense, and it is something that I have questioned from the start. It doesn't make sense. Sometimes this coaching group makes weird decisions. How many other head coaches out there would be splitting punt return duties between 3 guys and rotating them?
S
SpiffCoug
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I'm guessing that muffed punt is why there had been so much rotation at punt returner. BYU has really struggled this year to find a guy, just one guy, who can cleanly and consistently field a punt.



Not fielding a punt cleanly is on each player who has tried 100%. It is 100% I in the players as to why we've seen so much rotation.


Sure, but that doesn't make much sense. You pick the most reliable guy and give him 100% of the game duties until he messes up, then you go with the next most reliable guy. When he messes up then maybe you go back to the other guy, or try someone new. We haven't lost a punt yet, so why rotate them the entire year up to this point? It makes no sense, and it is something that I have questioned from the start...

Have you watched the punt returns this season? We've been rotating guys all year. We've been rotating guys, because no one has shown they can always catch the ball. Each one has bobbled punts, fumbled punts, made bad decisions with punts. BYU has been searching all year for a guy they could count on and haven't found one.



If a guy can't handle the pressure of returning punts because they're afraid they'll be pulled if they muff it, then they can't handle the pressure.



The punt return issues are 100% on the players. If they can't handle a little pressure from the sideline, then they should probably stay off the field.
B
Brayden Green
Returning punts is a feel position. If you aren't giving your position player 100% of the snaps during game time you are mismanaging it. We were rotating players from game 1, and issues didn't arise til much later.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.