Archived Topic

Martzen getting more comfortable in BYU recruiting role

by scott715 · 10/31/2014

Advertisement
S
scott715
http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/football/martzen-getting-more-comfortable-in-byu-recruiting-role/article_9e0a5e2b-d847-57ee-aa29-27b1bee69cb9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Some pieces of the article:



Martzen makes the electronic evaluations, watching highlight videos from websites such as Hudl and YouTube or those submitted to the school. ... The coaching staff is allowed 42 total visits and during BYU’s next bye week will make the last visits of the season.



Says Bama and BSU have bigger departments than the Y.



He said BYU’s coaching staff is underrated as recruiters.



“I’d say in the home, Bronco has got to be the best,” Martzen said. “And in his office, I haven’t seen anybody better than him. He completely understands what BYU is and what it can do for someone. He conveys that pretty well.”





What is this 42 visit limit? A BYU rule?
S
SpiffCoug
I believe it's an NCAA rule.
B
BoiseBYU
Clearly a head coach who is incompetent at and despises recruiting. No wonder we've lost four straight. TIC



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes. And it seems a little conspicuous in its timing. Managing perceptions, I suppose.
B
Brayden Green
Well, if he as a great recruiter than he sucks at managing talent. If he sucks at recruiting then that explains the product on the field. You can't have it both ways. You can't get great talent, and then manage the talent great, and then lose to USU, UCF, UNR, and then a bad looking Boise St in a row.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
To be fair to Martzen, this is his only his 2nd year as the recruiting coordinator. So any lack of depth of talent or lack of overall talent may not be his fault.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
To be fair to Martzen, this is his only his 2nd year as the recruiting coordinator. So any lack of depth of talent or lack of overall talent may not be his fault.


Oh, sure. I wasn't putting it on him... I was putting any "lack of depth" (which I don't believe that we have, at least not to the extent of losing to USU, UNR and UCF) squarely on Bronco (and to some extent Anae).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
HoosierCougar
BoiseBYU wrote:
Clearly a head coach who is incompetent at and despises recruiting. No wonder we've lost four straight. TIC



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Bronco did say he dislikes recruiting, that he finds the process demeaning, and his original deal w/BYU (when he was DC) stipulated that he didn't have to travel for recruiting.

That said, Brandon Doman stated recently that Bronco is an excellent closer.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
Our talent right now is young. I have been very critical of the coaching staff in the past for not having the "talented" guys out on the field, but as we can see now, sometimes those talented players make so many mistakes.



I'm just curious how many on this board played high school football? If you did, how many practice reps did the 2nd teamers get? How familiar were the new players with the system? Were there ever kids with great talent that just couldn't run to the right hole? Are there players that come in at the beginning with their head spinning, but then they get it?



Tejon Koroma is a true freshmen that beat out a 2 or 3 year returning starter because he was able to use his superior talent, get passed the confused state, and gain the trust of the coaches. Harvey Jackson is more talented than either Nacua or PoVey (our starters on Saturday), but didn't earn his way on to the field in the preseason, and now there's no time in practice for a guy that started out the season 3rd string, and based on his tweets, hasn't shown the best attitude.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Perhaps this item goes Martzen's way: Although we've lost the last several, we handed it to MTSU. The freshmen player impact was pretty freakin goooood.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Our talent right now is young. I have been very critical of the coaching staff in the past for not having the "talented" guys out on the field, but as we can see now, sometimes those talented players make so many mistakes.



I'm just curious how many on this board played high school football? If you did, how many practice reps did the 2nd teamers get? How familiar were the new players with the system? Were there ever kids with great talent that just couldn't run to the right hole? Are there players that come in at the beginning with their head spinning, but then they get it?



Tejon Koroma is a true freshmen that beat out a 2 or 3 year returning starter because he was able to use his superior talent, get passed the confused state, and gain the trust of the coaches. Harvey Jackson is more talented than either Nacua or PoVey (our starters on Saturday), but didn't earn his way on to the field in the preseason, and now there's no time in practice for a guy that started out the season 3rd string, and based on his tweets, hasn't shown the best attitude.


I honestly don't think that you can overlook the fact that PoVey is Howell's brother in law. I have never seen Jackson in bad coverage or pick the wrong man doubling up one out and leaving the other wide open for a TD. True, I have seen him in much more limited reps, but you would think that the guy making huge mistakes would eventually lose time to the guy not making any.



In high school it is a different animal, because (at least at my school) nobody was cut. So there was always an excess of players, and the majority didn't try hard or care. So that part of things is hard to evaluate. The 2nd teamers got a lot of reps and attention, though. We were always going up against the Ones. I imagine that would be specific to the school and coaching though, and may be anecdotal and not representative of the other schools.
G
Guest
"Potential gets you fired."
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
"Potential gets you fired."


Not at BYU. Not even losing to your evenly matched rival 4 years in a row, and 7 out of 10, gets you fired at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
BlueIsBetter wrote:
"Potential gets you fired."


Not at BYU. Not even losing to your evenly matched rival 4 years in a row, and 7 out of 10, gets you fired at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I disagree. I think potential can and would get you fired at BYU. In some ways I think it's at least partly Heap's potential that got Doman fired.
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
"Potential gets you fired."


Not at BYU. Not even losing to your evenly matched rival 4 years in a row, and 7 out of 10, gets you fired at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I disagree. I think potential can and would get you fired at BYU. In some ways I think it's at least partly Heap's potential that got Doman fired.


Or, it could be that Doman had absolutely no idea how to be an OC, and was promoted entirely to early (by someone that has a problem preparing people for the jobs they are promoted to and then pretty shortly released from).
Advertisement
G
Guest
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
"Potential gets you fired."


Not at BYU. Not even losing to your evenly matched rival 4 years in a row, and 7 out of 10, gets you fired at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I disagree. I think potential can and would get you fired at BYU. In some ways I think it's at least partly Heap's potential that got Doman fired.


Or, it could be that Doman had absolutely no idea how to be an OC, and was promoted entirely to early (by someone that has a problem preparing people for the jobs they are promoted to and then pretty shortly released from).


Yeah, like I said, a combination of things, but it was at least partly in part that he had a player with what was thought to be loads of potential, but turned out to not be capable of living up to it.
S
stuckinbig10country
BlueIsBetter wrote:
Our talent right now is young. I have been very critical of the coaching staff in the past for not having the "talented" guys out on the field, but as we can see now, sometimes those talented players make so many mistakes.



I'm just curious how many on this board played high school football? If you did, how many practice reps did the 2nd teamers get? How familiar were the new players with the system? Were there ever kids with great talent that just couldn't run to the right hole? Are there players that come in at the beginning with their head spinning, but then they get it?



Tejon Koroma is a true freshmen that beat out a 2 or 3 year returning starter because he was able to use his superior talent, get passed the confused state, and gain the trust of the coaches. Harvey Jackson is more talented than either Nacua or PoVey (our starters on Saturday), but didn't earn his way on to the field in the preseason, and now there's no time in practice for a guy that started out the season 3rd string, and based on his tweets, hasn't shown the best attitude.


I honestly don't think that you can overlook the fact that PoVey is Howell's brother in law. I have never seen Jackson in bad coverage or pick the wrong man doubling up one out and leaving the other wide open for a TD. True, I have seen him in much more limited reps, but you would think that the guy making huge mistakes would eventually lose time to the guy not making any.



In high school it is a different animal, because (at least at my school) nobody was cut. So there was always an excess of players, and the majority didn't try hard or care. So that part of things is hard to evaluate. The 2nd teamers got a lot of reps and attention, though. We were always going up against the Ones. I imagine that would be specific to the school and coaching though, and may be anecdotal and not representative of the other schools.


I didn't overlook the PoVey/Howell connection. But people much smarter than me have said PoVey has graded out fine this year (last year, the only reason he played as much as he did was we ran out of players). Jackson couldn't get up the depth chart in camp. In college, if you're not a starter, your reps are extremely limited.



Fair or not, the people we're seeing play now was based almost entirely on 4 weeks of fall practice...and that's not unusual over all of college football.
S
scott715
I hope that Jackson and Nelson get a lot of reps the next two games. I want to develop the transfer connection. We need to show that kids can do the senior transfer here and succeed.
C
Cougs_Rule
hawkwing wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
"Potential gets you fired."


Not at BYU. Not even losing to your evenly matched rival 4 years in a row, and 7 out of 10, gets you fired at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I disagree. I think potential can and would get you fired at BYU. In some ways I think it's at least partly Heap's potential that got Doman fired.


OH YES, ITS HEAPS FAULT, STILL. Question: What quarterback was playing when Doman got fired??? WHat quarterback was runing roughshod on the team that required Tom Holmoe to step in and give mandates to Bronco and Doman? Hint: the week leading up to GT. Good gravy, you would think that Bronco was already a GA and therefore anyone who complains or criticizes is going apostate.
B
Brayden Green
stuckinbig10country wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Our talent right now is young. I have been very critical of the coaching staff in the past for not having the "talented" guys out on the field, but as we can see now, sometimes those talented players make so many mistakes.



I'm just curious how many on this board played high school football? If you did, how many practice reps did the 2nd teamers get? How familiar were the new players with the system? Were there ever kids with great talent that just couldn't run to the right hole? Are there players that come in at the beginning with their head spinning, but then they get it?



Tejon Koroma is a true freshmen that beat out a 2 or 3 year returning starter because he was able to use his superior talent, get passed the confused state, and gain the trust of the coaches. Harvey Jackson is more talented than either Nacua or PoVey (our starters on Saturday), but didn't earn his way on to the field in the preseason, and now there's no time in practice for a guy that started out the season 3rd string, and based on his tweets, hasn't shown the best attitude.


I honestly don't think that you can overlook the fact that PoVey is Howell's brother in law. I have never seen Jackson in bad coverage or pick the wrong man doubling up one out and leaving the other wide open for a TD. True, I have seen him in much more limited reps, but you would think that the guy making huge mistakes would eventually lose time to the guy not making any.



In high school it is a different animal, because (at least at my school) nobody was cut. So there was always an excess of players, and the majority didn't try hard or care. So that part of things is hard to evaluate. The 2nd teamers got a lot of reps and attention, though. We were always going up against the Ones. I imagine that would be specific to the school and coaching though, and may be anecdotal and not representative of the other schools.


I didn't overlook the PoVey/Howell connection. But people much smarter than me have said PoVey has graded out fine this year (last year, the only reason he played as much as he did was we ran out of players). Jackson couldn't get up the depth chart in camp. In college, if you're not a starter, your reps are extremely limited.



Fair or not, the people we're seeing play now was based almost entirely on 4 weeks of fall practice...and that's not unusual over all of college football.




"I don't care who votes. I care about who makes the nominations." - Boss Tweed.



Winning the starting job in fall camp is indicative of the people that choose you as a winner. Just like being the number 1 team in CFB is extremely biased, especially in preseason. I don't think anyone can tell me with confidence that PoVey is a better option than Jackson.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.