J
JayDoggAs much has I don't like the Bend but Don't Break D that Bronco has installed at BYU, the formula does work and in a lot of ways is necessary for this program. Bronco knows that we do not recruit 5 star DBs, so therefore can't get too fancy and be too aggressive in our defense schemes. That, at the very least, is one thing that Bronco has done right during his 10 years here at BYU.
I went back and looked at the statistics since Bronco has been the head coach, and we have had exactly 3 years were we have held the opponent to under 20 pts per game. Those years are '06,'07, and '12. Those years all have exactly one thing in common, and that has been the ability to get after the QB. 2007 and 2012 produced double digit sackers (Jan Jorgensen and Kyle Van Noy respectively) and 2006 was a great team effort with multiple players getting after the QB. The other years, when we have failed to put consistent pressure on the QB we usually give up about 21 ppg.
How do we fix this lack of pressure on the QB this year? I have no clue. Perhaps we should move Bronson back to DE? Maybe the talent sucks this year. Maybe the coaching sucks this year. I don't know. I just know that we are not getting the job done. Something has to change. But nonetheless getting pressure on the QB has been the key to successful Ds in the past for us.
I went back and looked at the statistics since Bronco has been the head coach, and we have had exactly 3 years were we have held the opponent to under 20 pts per game. Those years are '06,'07, and '12. Those years all have exactly one thing in common, and that has been the ability to get after the QB. 2007 and 2012 produced double digit sackers (Jan Jorgensen and Kyle Van Noy respectively) and 2006 was a great team effort with multiple players getting after the QB. The other years, when we have failed to put consistent pressure on the QB we usually give up about 21 ppg.
How do we fix this lack of pressure on the QB this year? I have no clue. Perhaps we should move Bronson back to DE? Maybe the talent sucks this year. Maybe the coaching sucks this year. I don't know. I just know that we are not getting the job done. Something has to change. But nonetheless getting pressure on the QB has been the key to successful Ds in the past for us.

