Archived Topic

Fixing

by Gunk · 10/25/2014

Advertisement
G
Gunk
Is it just me or every season post Hall has needed "fixing."



2010 (7 - 6) - Offense. Dual QB system to start the season. Heaps finishes the season out but offense clearly needs some fixing.

2011 (10 - 3) - Offense. New OC and a horrible OL. Heaps is a disaster at QB.

2012 (8 - 5) - Offense. OC, OL and QB issues persist.

2013 (8 - 5) - Offense. New OC and the OL still has issues. QB is solid but one dimensional.

2014 ( currently 4 - 4) - Defense. New DC. Injuries. Plus, QB issues and the OL still isn't there.



BYU as a whole is not getting better. Every year there are issues. Our best season in the last five years was with Riley Nelson at the helm.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
First of all your assertion that Riley had much to do with the "best season" in the last five is laughable. The D was by far the better performer. He deserves some credit.

As to your assertion that each season has needed fixing, you are probably right. 10-3 has to stand out as the season that needed the least fixing, but overall you have a point.

If it's not one thing its another. And for Bronco to say he was going to help out the offense just three seasons after he claimed he didn't know much about offense......

Bronco go rescue your legacy. If BYU doesn't have a D it doesnt have much of a chance.
G
Gunk
I don't think it much to do with Riley at all. My sarcasm didn't come through. Was using it as a point to show how low we've come.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
I just have to ask because I think we may be forgetting... what football team at any level doesn't have some things to work on, "fix". QB issues, pass defense, O-line etc. Not many teams out there are so solid in all those areas that they don't worry about them.
G
Gunk
BroncoBot wrote:
I just have to ask because I think we may be forgetting... what football team at any level doesn't have some things to work on, "fix". QB issues, pass defense, O-line etc. Not many teams out there are so solid in all those areas that they don't worry about them.

Agree. There are always areas of improvement, but typically a team will have a season or two where things click.



Mismanaged teams rarely put it together. We've been floundering for 5 years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Gunk wrote:
I just have to ask because I think we may be forgetting... what football team at any level doesn't have some things to work on, "fix". QB issues, pass defense, O-line etc. Not many teams out there are so solid in all those areas that they don't worry about them.

Agree. There are always areas of improvement, but typically a team will have a season or two where things click.



Mismanaged teams rarely put it together. We've been floundering for 5 years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I don't know if I'd call it floundering, but I agree that BYU hasn't reached their potential in any of those years except 2012. I think this year (and bib will like this) will go down with an asterisk due to ALL the injuries and the shuffling of players/loss of leadership on defense. Certainly, the BYU head coach is not an envious position this weekend.



The suspensions early in the year were certainly a bad omen....
S
Screamineagle
I am interested in ideas for fixing things lets hear them. Dont just say Fire the coaches.What would you do if you could? What would you do if you were the Coaches?
S
SpiffCoug
#1 find a QB that can accurately and efficiently throw the football.

#2 find a new defensive scheme that relies soley on NFL talent to be successful
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
#1 find a QB that can accurately and efficiently throw the football.

#2 find a new defensive scheme that relies soley on NFL talent to be successful

#1, CS is the best you're going to get in 2014. Actually. If the defense was playing even average MWC defense, I think BYU would be undefeated with CS, even without TH.
S
SpiffCoug
C-Stew has been marginal at best. In fact, I think he's been wildly inconsistent. I'll dig into the numbers but I think in his three starts he's had one good quarter and three poor ones.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
C-Stew has been marginal at best. In fact, I think he's been wildly inconsistent. I'll dig into the numbers but I think in his three starts he's had one good quarter and three poor ones.

And who is going to replace him? he's average to slightly above passer who has had little to no time to let things develop for the most part. I'm just saying, you're not going to find a better QB for 2014 at BYU. I haven't been blown away by CS's play either. i'm sure his stats aren't the best BYU has even seen. BUT, I'll repeat what I said before, if the defense was playing even average defense BYU would probably still be undefeated.
F
frdbtr
Screamineagle wrote:
I am interested in ideas for fixing things lets hear them. Dont just say Fire the coaches.What would you do if you could? What would you do if you were the Coaches?


Bronco takes over the defense completely again. Recommits them similar to what he did in 2010, simple as that.
F
frdbtr
BroncoBot wrote:
C-Stew has been marginal at best. In fact, I think he's been wildly inconsistent. I'll dig into the numbers but I think in his three starts he's had one good quarter and three poor ones.

And who is going to replace him? he's average to slightly above passer who has had little to no time to let things develop for the most part. I'm just saying, you're not going to find a better QB for 2014 at BYU. I haven't been blown away by CS's play either. i'm sure his stats aren't the best BYU has even seen. BUT, I'll repeat what I said before, if the defense was playing even average defense BYU would probably still be undefeated.


If our defense was playing even half as good as it has the last 3 years, we would be either undefeated or 1 loss against USU, maybe BSU.
S
SpiffCoug
BroncoBot wrote:
C-Stew has been marginal at best. In fact, I think he's been wildly inconsistent. I'll dig into the numbers but I think in his three starts he's had one good quarter and three poor ones.

And who is going to replace him? he's average to slightly above passer who has had little to no time to let things develop for the most part. I'm just saying, you're not going to find a better QB for 2014 at BYU. I haven't been blown away by CS's play either. i'm sure his stats aren't the best BYU has even seen. BUT, I'll repeat what I said before, if the defense was playing even average defense BYU would probably still be undefeated.

We don't have a better option this year. And there is no one on the roster that can be groomed for next year.



I fear next year is going to be another long year for the Cougars'. They are going to be relying on a QB that is coming off of MAJOR ankle surgery that may or may not be ready for the season. OR they're going to be hoping a QB currently NOT on the roster can come in and quickly pick up an offense they haven't run before.
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
C-Stew has been marginal at best. In fact, I think he's been wildly inconsistent. I'll dig into the numbers but I think in his three starts he's had one good quarter and three poor ones.

And who is going to replace him? he's average to slightly above passer who has had little to no time to let things develop for the most part. I'm just saying, you're not going to find a better QB for 2014 at BYU. I haven't been blown away by CS's play either. i'm sure his stats aren't the best BYU has even seen. BUT, I'll repeat what I said before, if the defense was playing even average defense BYU would probably still be undefeated.

We don't have a better option this year. And there is no one on the roster that can be groomed for next year.



I fear next year is going to be another long year for the Cougars'. They are going to be relying on a QB that is coming off of MAJOR ankle surgery that may or may not be ready for the season. OR they're going to be hoping a QB currently NOT on the roster can come in and quickly pick up an offense they haven't run before.


And playing arguably the most demanding schedule in school history.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I know I'm still somewhat disappointed in the current season, but I'm very afraid of what 2015 might bring. But looking at the schedule today, there could be as 8 or 9 losses next year.
F
frdbtr
I am convinced that this years issues are 100% on the defense. Even if Taysom Hill doesn't blow up his ankle in the USU game we still lose at least 2 of these 4 losses(if not still lose all 4). The defense is simply broke. I can't blame injuries because in 2010 the defense sustained a bunch of injuries and Bronco got younger players ready and they dominated(after firing Hill). In fact Bronco got that defense ready in 1 week and it dominated for the rest of the season. The problem is defensive coaching. Bronco should have never stepped away from the defense. As long as Bronco is the Dcoordinator, we play good defense. The 2 times he has stepped away from the defense, our defense has sucked. Keep howell as the secondary coach if he can do that job and do it well, but Bronco needs to be the dcoordinator.
S
SpiffCoug
I think the Taysom injury broke the team's collective will and confidence.



Sure there were deficiencies on the Defense and the defensive players likely knew it. But they knew that if they failed that Taysom and the offense had their back. And even though the offense has struggled in long stretches of games since the injury and have played well enough to win all but the USU game, the Defense doesn't have that same confidence in the offense.



So they press. So they freeze with indecision. This team lost its identity and leader.
G
Gunk
Hill was this teams identity. They didn't need to come together. If the OL broke down, no worries, Hill would make it work. If the defense gave up some points, no worries, Hill would go get some more.



I like what the offense is doing right now - involving lots of players, even a TE!



As far as fixes, first and foremost, Howell goes and they bring in a legit DB coach. Holmoe makes the final call on who they bring in because Bronco cleary has issues when it comes to spotting coaching talent.



Fire the athletic trainer. Whatever that person is doing is resulting in high ankle sprains left and right.



Go get a Juco QB from a system that resembles ours as much as possible.



Bag GFGH. It hasn't given us any sort of edge. I'm fine mixing it in every now and then to keep opponents off balance but GFGH all the time isn't doing anything for us.



Use every minute of allocated practice time. I don't care if its in the morning or the afternoon, every minute that players can practice they should be practicing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
SpiffCoug wrote:
I know I'm still somewhat disappointed in the current season, but I'm very afraid of what 2015 might bring. But looking at the schedule today, there could be as 8 or 9 losses next year.

on paper it looks like a brutal schedule. BUT, i'll wait for next year to unfold before I start shiverin' in me boots.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.