Archived Topic

Did BYU quit last night?

by SpiffCoug · 10/25/2014

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I don't think they did. I think the offense was playing hard, but was outmatched and couldn't make plays that were there (the 4th down throw to an open Mahina, for instance).



I don't think they defense did, even though they stunk. They just didn't know what to do, where to be or able to beat their guy.
B
BoiseBYU
No. At least not during the game. There was effort. But something has happened to the D post USU. I'm not saying it is quit. But they are not the same. Last night we were just outplayed and taken to the woodshed.
S
Schmoe
Played better in the second half than they did in the first, so I don't see how anyone could say that they quit. But this team clearly needs a mentality tweak. We need to bury a football or something, and we need leaders to emerge on the field.
G
Gunk
No.



Schemes were way off, though.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mtnradio
I voted Yes. I hated to ... and technically It is a wrong vote. I think the quit came before last night's game.



It was disturbing to see a team that looked disorganized or confused like BYU did last night. The loss of Hill does NOT explain this. BYU was beaten in every facet of the game, and worse, they looked desperate in their play.



BYU's heart didn't quit, but mentally, and perhaps emotionally (yes, I realize that for many emotions and heart are the same ... I don't think so) they quit.



This is a team that doesn't know who they are anymore. Bronco has an extremely tough job to fix this or they will lose to MT next week.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Great points radio.
B
Brayden Green
Did they quit last night? I don't think so. Have they quit on "the system" and trusting their coaches and fellow players? A thousand times yes.



Not using full bowl practices, to properly coach and evaluate young talent (and young coaches).



GFGH was the wrong approach in the first place, and it should be obvious to anyone watching byu football that we dont have the personnel (very toned dominating offensive line that never needs to sub).



Bronco never should have stepped away from the defense.



BYU is not well run, and the players sense that and don't play committed to each other, or with respect for the coaches (who in at least some cases don't command or deserve it).



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Radio is right on with his comments, but off in his vote. If anything this team "un-quit" from a disastrous start and second quarter. A real gut check. But that's what Bills said after the game. They knew they were not likely to win but wanted to give their all.

So, no, they didn't quit and very very easily could have in the second half.

I was trying to be positive last night, but I am more negative or at least relflective to morning.

The mindless aggression that lead to penalties, over pursuing and missing tackles (do some think they are as good as KVN?) the lack of discipline (more penalties and missed assignments, it's just very bad.

When reactive fans and reporters start to say it's as bad as Crowton I am thinking that even if it's appromimating Crowton days, there need to be serious changes, bc players and recruits are going to start quitting these schemes and coaches.

Bronco's departure from the defense left a huge void in the D. And who knows if the O is running amuck, seems like flashes but was BSU a D really that good? I don't think so,
C
Cougarbib
I did not see a team that quit. I saw a team that was overwhelmed and out of position either because they do not trust each other and thus overcompensate, or they are just confused. The experienced talent level, post injury is off team wide, and the most experienced and talented players are banged up.



Leslie and JW did not play early. Lasike, was used sparingly. Fua. Bills. I do not think any of these guys looked 100%.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.