Archived Topic

What is Unique About 1984?

by JayDogg · 10/25/2014

Advertisement
J
JayDogg
Besides being the only undefeated season and National Championship for the Cougars, there is something else unique about the 1984 club that has only happened once as well for the Cougars. Anyone know the answer?



Thought I'd lighten the mood after the loss.
J
JayDogg
I'll give a hint, think player accolades. Surprised Spiff hasn't figured this out already.
J
JayDogg
Well, I see that nobody cares about the answer, but that's okay. I'll give it anyway: 1984 is the only year the Team has ever fielded an All-American DB, Kyle Morrell.



We've had All-Americans at basically every other position, multiple times, except this position. Even then I have to use the Term "DB" loosely, because Morrell was a Safety. We've never had an All-American CB.



Well, that's the answer. At least we know the team has a 100% chance at winning the NC when we have an All-American DB on the roster.
B
BoiseBYU
JayDogg wrote:
Well, I see that nobody cares about the answer, but that's okay. I'll give it anyway: 1984 is the only year the Team has ever fielded an All-American DB, Kyle Morrell.



We've had All-Americans at basically every other position, multiple times, except this position. Even then I have to use the Term "DB" loosely, because Morrell was a Safety. We've never had an All-American CB.



Well, that's the answer. At least we know the team has a 100% chance at winning the NC when we have an All-American DB on the roster.


You had me stumped
S
snoscythe
Well, Omarr Morgan was also all-American his senior year, just not 1st team AP.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I was at a complete loss. I thought Morrell was LB. Did he play Safety?
S
scott715
Yes Safety and went to the NFL, I believe.
M
mormonrasta
We haven't had a defensive back taken in the NFL draft since 1993. It doesn't shock me at all that we haven't had many all american DBs.
B
birdie702
That was then, this is now. And the fact is, we suck right now. Next!
S
Schmoe
birdie702 wrote:
That was then, this is now. And the fact is, we suck right now. Next!


Yeah, let's not talk about BYU football history or anything in the BYU FOOTBALL FORUM. :roll:
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
birdie702 wrote:
That was then, this is now. And the fact is, we suck right now. Next!

Hey birdie. Grousing about it won't make it any better ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
JayDogg
Well I guess we could count Omarr Morgan. He was an All-American at his community college, and garnered post season honorable mention all-american (whatever that is) by College Sport News. I missed him, because he's not on BYU's official list on the football team's website.
S
snoscythe
JayDogg wrote:
Well I guess we could count Omarr Morgan. He was an All-American at his community college, and garnered post season honorable mention all-american (whatever that is) by College Sport News. I missed him, because he's not on BYU's official list on the football team's website.


Omarr just supports your hypothesis enen more. 1st Team AA = undefeated. Honorable mention AA = 14-1.



If Omarr would've been 1st team, maybe the '96 Cougars pick up that game and go 15-0. :)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
JayDogg
Too funny. I suppose it does. Darn you Omarr. We could have been undefeated in '96!
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.