Archived Topic

Haws Leading Scorer...What Say You

by Gunk · 10/14/2014

Advertisement
G
Gunk
Sports Illustrated is predicting that Haws will be the nations leading scorer next season. Do you agree?



http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/10/14/college-basketball-top-scorers-rebounders-assisters-season-preview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



He's certainly a smart choice. Now, I don't see Haws scoring much more than he's done in seasons past; so, I think it will come down to how much his competitors score. Would be awesome to product two leading scorers within 5 years. Not many schools can claim that.
S
snoscythe
Two different leading scorers from the same team within 5 years has only happened four times since 1935:



1) VMI = Jason Conley and Reggie Williams were 5 years apart (and Williams repeated the 6th year)

2) LMU = Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers in back-to-back seasons

3) Furman = Frank Selvy and Darrell Floyd (4 years in a row--each 2 season apiece)

4) Rhode Island = Chet Jaworski and Stan Modzelewski combined to take the title 5 years in a row (2 and 3 years respectively) and then two years after Modzelewski Mr. Ernie Calverley did it again for Rhode Island.
Q
Qman
Haws is going to get a bunch of chances to score on this team. I worry that so much defensive pressure will come Haws' way he will struggle to get looks.
R
rblack
I think Haw's scoring average goes down slightly this year. There are too many players fighting for minutes. Unless the new players demonstrate that they cannot provide quality minutes, Haws will see fewer minutes this year.
B
BYULV
My hope is his scoring avg goes down a little due to his increased defensive focus and better team balance
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think he'll score quite well in non-conference play. Then the WCC will go all MWC on us and they'll allow the likes of Pepperdine, San Francisco, Portland to mug and hold and push and shove Haws up and down and all over the court. Just like MWC teams did to Jimmer.



So I think he'll be well above 20 ppg in non-conf and then closer to 16 in conf play.
C
Cougs_Rule
Its going to be interesting, but I doubt it. The big three will have a fairly balanced and potent attack: Ty, Kyle, and Chase, will do the bulk of the scoring and coach will do a better job pacing Ty over the whole season and not burning all his fuel in the first half of the season. Plus, I don't see it in Ty's personality. He's a tough competitor who will give his all, but it just doesn't match his personality of his body type. Jimmer was born to do that. Ty, plays more for his team. Unless Ty has bulked up, as another said, he will get shoved, pulled, grabbed, bodied and it will again take its toll. Taking nothing away from one of my favorite Cougar Hoopsters (as a complete and good human) in awhile, not named Jimmer
M
mizzoucoug
I hope he doesn't need to score as much as he did last year, but I fear that will be the case. What are the odds Fischer or Toolson actually come in and become scoring threats? Besides, scoring is the least of our concerns. This team has got to play defense. That's all that matters. And if they can figure out how to shoot 3's and FT's that would be nice too.



I still can't wrap my head around last season. This team never got stops on D. They couldn't shoot 3's. And nobody but Haws could hit 2/2 FT's with regularity. Yet somehow they were a 10 seed. Amazing.
W
Wolverine
mizzoucoug wrote:
I hope he doesn't need to score as much as he did last year, but I fear that will be the case. What are the odds Fischer or Toolson actually come in and become scoring threats? Besides, scoring is the least of our concerns. This team has got to play defense. That's all that matters. And if they can figure out how to shoot 3's and FT's that would be nice too.



I still can't wrap my head around last season. This team never got stops on D. They couldn't shoot 3's. And nobody but Haws could hit 2/2 FT's with regularity. Yet somehow they were a 10 seed. Amazing.

I once heard that good things happen when you are living right. Here's to another year of living right and then some :)
G
Gunk
I don't think we can count of KC scoring much at the beginning of the season. He isn't even up to a full practice yet. Haws will need to fill that void a bit, so I can see him scoring plenty at the beginning of the season. As mentioned, he'll get mugged in the WCC but hopefully that will put him on the line a lot.



As much as I want to be high on Fischer and the new guys, I haven't seen them play and certainly haven't seen them play under Rose's system.



If Aytes turns out to be the low-post threat people are claiming he is that bodes well for Haws, especially if Fischer turns out to be the shooting threat people are claiming he is. That will spread the defense and teams won't be able to double on Aytes and Haws.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Haws will continue to do what he does best - score. I do not expect KC to be 100%. Carlino gone. Mika gone. I hope a new guy or two fills that void. Enjoy Haws. He will get a quiet 20+ most nights and will go off a time or two or three for 30+.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.