Archived Topic

Rumors abound

by Cougs_Rule · 10/14/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Allegedly, Derek Steveson claiming that Chase Hansen will be a Cougar and Taysom is bolting for the NFL (I have no idea how he could be ready by combine, but heaven bless his rehab efforts).
M
Matty-B
As strong as my man crush is for Taysom, I hope this isn't true. And not for selfish reasons. He is not ready to be an effective NFL quarterback



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Those rumors have been swirling. Nothing firm yet.
B
BroncoBot
I was really bummed out about Chase going to the U, this would be AWESOME if true.
C
craigoscarson
career suicide for Taysom, assuming he has a career to salvage with this leg issue. He will be slighted for his injury related to ability to run and no one respects his ability to throw accurately. He's a 7th round Tebow
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
NFL scouts like his ability more than his "fans" do



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
So - how reliable is Derek Stevenson?
C
craigoscarson
stuckinbig10country wrote:
NFL scouts like his ability more than his "fans" do



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


talked to a lot of scouts huh? bum wheel, 3rd time he's had a serious injury to that leg since high school.. and inconsistent with accuracy...
I
imuakahuku
I would be be very surprised if he bolted. I think the last injury decided for him. He has too much left to prove. You have to have an arm and at least decent accuracy to get drafted. I'm not buying until the tweet comes from the man himself.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
My guess is that if he is even considering it now, he was certainly going to bolt before the injury occurred. But he goes from a Heisman candidate with at least some hype and question marks, but hype all the same--and a lot of it earned, but not all of it--to a not just a risk of a average to better than average (Andy Dalton, like) passer but now with serious re-injury risk not to mention speed and mobility limitations. And he can't wear an "ankle brace" with the same results as a knee brace. May get the the stability, but a much higher reduction in mobility for a rebuilt ankle.

Man, feel for that kid. He's a stud and smart and married great. He will be fine in the long run (pun intended) but it may be running a business/corporation not evading NFL leviathans.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I think you can make a valid argument either way.



With the injury, should comeback and prove himself or should he leave and avoid the possibility of being exposed.



He's got a lot of upside and coming back and failing (by coming back too early) might be a mistake.



Look what happened to Chuckie Keeton for coming back too soon after an extremely serious injury.



Perhaps he should go pro, take his late round draft pick and go to a team with an established starter that will let him take all of next season to fully recover and learn and improve.



I think there are benefits and drawbacks to leaving AND staying for Taysom Hill.



If he were to ask me, I'd say leave.
C
Cougs_Rule
I have to say that I agree with you Spiff. Roll the dice. Rise above. Take your shot. Somebody will take the risk by round four or five on a super talented, hopefully speedy dude who has a lot of moxie and could develop into a good passer.

But maybe, just maybe, he comes back and has to actually evolve (and take the OC kicking and screaming with him) into a passer and can't rely on bolting every time. Maybe, just maybe, Anae can actually get on that plan and realize he has a whole team that stepped up after the injury, and had they stepped up pre-injury and not just wait for THill to make a play and put him at higher risk. maybe, just maybe, both THill and Anae can realize that speed is for escaping and not the backbone of the offense.
S
snoscythe
Jake Murphy made a mistake jumping to the NFL last year. Murphy had an agent tell him he'd be gone by the 3rd round. Now he's UDFA on a practice squad.



That won't be Taysom though--as a QB with his physical attributes, someone will take a flyer on him--he'd be a 5th or 6th round pick at worst, and they would be picking him up with the expectation of a development project over the course of a couple of years. He'd make over $45K in a signing bonus, and he'd be making $450K his first year, and scaling up to a minimum of $700K in year 5 of that contract, and barring injury he'd be unlikely to get cut before his 5 years are up. That's even as damaged goods.



If he comes back again in 2015, he risks yet another season ending surgery--three of those in four years is hard to explain away as bad luck. Even if he plays his way into the second round, a 2nd round pick only makes ~$1.5 million more than the last guy in the 7th round over the course of a five year contract. So Taysom would essentially be putting $2.2 million over five years (if he's Mr. Irrelevant--the lowest paid drafted rookie in the NFL) on the line in hopes of inflating that to $3.6 million. Another season ending injury could very well push him off the draft board, and UDFA money is not a lot to raise your family on compared to what you get if you are drafted.



I think Derek Stevenson is just guessing here--he's not well respected within Bronco's program, and I think he likes being that pariah. That said, I think there is a strong financial/logical argument in favor of Taysom going to the NFL next season instead of putting everything at risk for free at BYU. Taysom is a raw product, but he's a raw product that teams will commit money and a middle- to late-round draft pick to see what they can do with it.



Thing you need to remember is that Taysom (and every other player weighing leaving early) would be giving up his final NFL season to stay in college, not his first year. If he plays in the NFL, he's going to have a first year no matter what. But staying in college an extra year can shave a 9 year NFL career down to an 8 year NFL career, and that 9th year would often be the most valuable in your career as the league likes to make contracts heavy on the back end.
F
Fido
I don't know that buried on the depth chart of an NFL roster is a great place to develop and improve as a player. That is what college is for. I'd be surprised if this is the route he chooses. I'm downgrading that from shocked because he has had his college year ended twice in three years by injury and may not want to see what happens in a 4th before trying to earn some money.
S
SpiffCoug
Fido wrote:
I don't know that buried on the depth chart of an NFL roster is a great place to develop and improve as a player. That is what college is for. I'd be surprised if this is the route he chooses. I'm downgrading that from shocked because he has had his college year ended twice in three years by injury and may not want to see what happens in a 4th before trying to earn some money.

But coming back too early from a tragic injury and winding not even buried on an NFL depth chart could be an even worse place to develop.



Like I said, there are pros and cons going both ways. Taysom has a tough decision to make.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
But back to the original post, I think Chase Hansen coming to BYU could be a very real thing. And if he does come, I think he would be given a chance to compete at QB. I'd welcome him (even if he is quitting on Utah) because you can never have too much talent.



And in the last half decade BYU simply hasn't had enough talent - especially at the QB position.
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
But back to the original post, I think Chase Hansen coming to BYU could be a very real thing. And if he does come, I think he would be given a chance to compete at QB. I'd welcome him (even if he is quitting on Utah) because you can never have too much talent.



And in the last half decade BYU simply hasn't had enough talent - especially at the QB position.


Credit you for alluding to "quitting" to be fair to other folks who have transferred.

Rumor is that it's more than rumor that he is headed to Provo.

And oh boy, Anae must be licking his chops to get another running man to splay on the alter of his vaunted rushing attack. :roll:
G
Guest
Cougs_Rule wrote:
But back to the original post, I think Chase Hansen coming to BYU could be a very real thing. And if he does come, I think he would be given a chance to compete at QB. I'd welcome him (even if he is quitting on Utah) because you can never have too much talent.



And in the last half decade BYU simply hasn't had enough talent - especially at the QB position.


Credit you for alluding to "quitting" to be fair to other folks who have transferred.

Rumor is that it's more than rumor that he is headed to Provo.

And oh boy, Anae must be licking his chops to get another running man to splay on the alter of his vaunted rushing attack. :roll:


Does that make it rumor squared?
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
But back to the original post, I think Chase Hansen coming to BYU could be a very real thing. And if he does come, I think he would be given a chance to compete at QB. I'd welcome him (even if he is quitting on Utah) because you can never have too much talent.



And in the last half decade BYU simply hasn't had enough talent - especially at the QB position.


Credit you for alluding to "quitting" to be fair to other folks who have transferred.

Rumor is that it's more than rumor that he is headed to Provo.

And oh boy, Anae must be licking his chops to get another running man to splay on the alter of his vaunted rushing attack. :roll:


Does that make it rumor squared?

That's the rumor that I'm hearing. Rumor squared, as opposed to 2rumor
C
Cougarbib
I just looked at an NFL QB draft projection that said it was last updated on October 4th but did not mention the injury to Hill.



It showed Hill, Keaton, Travis Wilson, and Fajardo in that order in the 13-16 positions. Since that time, Hill has had his season ended, USU announced that Keaton is done for the season, Utah benched Wilson.



I predict Fajardo is going down given that BYU has knocked out Keaton and Wilson in the past.



I suspect that draft prospects for Hill, Keaton, and Wilson have dropped substantially since this forecast was made.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.