Archived Topic

Why I love BYU Football...

by AmmonCougar1 · 10/13/2014

Advertisement
A
AmmonCougar1
I just finished reading this article: http://thesmallseed.com/2014/10/story-of-faith-kurt-henderson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and was reminded why, despite setbacks that are extremely frustrating, I still LOVE BYU Football. And I'm still a huge proponent of Bronco and his vision for the team. I'm guessing the Brethren feel similarly or at least enough so that they seem content to keep him.



I won't deny the losses and seeming lack of discipline make me want to scream. But when I see stories like this and hear many others like VanNoy, Andrew Rich, Stout heck even Bronco's attempts with O'Neil Chambers, I LOVE it! I'll take Bronco's efforts of helping the YM to become great men, husbands and fathers over, all the wins in the NCAA coupled with high rates of failure in the players lives...any day.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
R
runbyu1
Thanks for posting this. I read this article and was really uplifted and meant to post it and then forgot so I'm glad you remembered. Really good stuff and makes me really want to see more of Kurt Henderson on the field. What a stud.
M
Matty-B
At risk of sounding like an A-hole I suppose...

This stuff is great and I like hearing about it and all but... I'm a fan of the FOOTBALL team.

I'd much rather see wins piling up, inclusion in big conferences and bowls, be a part of national championship conversation and have these stories come from somewhere else. :whistle:



That is to say... IF it meant choosing between the two



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
Matty-B wrote:
At risk of sounding like an A-hole I suppose...

This stuff is great and I like hearing about it and all but... I'm a fan of the FOOTBALL team.

I'd much rather see wins piling up, inclusion in big conferences and bowls, be a part of national championship conversation and have these stories come from somewhere else. :whistle:



That is to say... IF it meant choosing between the two



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Would be nice to have both, eh?
A
AmmonCougar1
Matty-B wrote:
At risk of sounding like an A-hole I suppose...

This stuff is great and I like hearing about it and all but... I'm a fan of the FOOTBALL team.

I'd much rather see wins piling up, inclusion in big conferences and bowls, be a part of national championship conversation and have these stories come from somewhere else. :whistle:



That is to say... IF it meant choosing between the two



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Matty, I don't think that's a bad desire but at risk of sound pious (and believe me it pains me to say this) I don't think BYU will ever be that for you or any of us. The reality is BYU is different enough from the rest of the College landscape that we have to accept what we have and find value promoting stories mingled with some fun and occasionally quality wins/seasons.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Is always about rising above adversity. And that becomes the mantra for the remainder of the season. In know cheesy, but it's now, not Rise (like a loaf of bread--stupid) or Rise Up. Its Rise above. But I guess a general "Rise" covers all the bases.

Anyway, it is definitely a new season of expectations and I am excited to see at least one or two quarters of solid football each game. ;-)
I
IowaCougar
I just read the article. Great read, and well written. It makes me feel a little better about some of my dashed dreams from my time at BYU, and better about all of the hard work I put into my athletics.



I didn't get to the level I hoped while at BYU athletically, but I had the honor of competing at the NCAA championships. I graduated with two degrees (went back and got an MBA later), and found the most wonderful person in the world to be my wife. Things couldn't have turned out better!
C
CAFB_04-12
Matty-B wrote:
At risk of sounding like an A-hole I suppose...

This stuff is great and I like hearing about it and all but... I'm a fan of the FOOTBALL team.

I'd much rather see wins piling up, inclusion in big conferences and bowls, be a part of national championship conversation and have these stories come from somewhere else. :whistle:



That is to say... IF it meant choosing between the two



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

We live in a world where big-time programs use a player and throw him in the trash when he's finished "performing" at the level required by championship caliber teams. For these programs it's more about the school, the conference, and the glory. For us, the fans, it's about those things too, but for the men entrusted with the development of these players at BYU it's about more than that.



So, it's okay for us as fans to lose sight of the fact that these players at BYU will someday become fathers, husbands, professionals, and members of the community -- just remember that the coaches have a greater responsibility to the players than any of us ever will.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.