Archived Topic

Freakin No Call!!!

by byufan4ever · 10/10/2014

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
That was a horrible way to end the game. Commentators agreed that UCF got away with one. Talk about game changer. Our frustration in this game should be directed at the refs!! They owe an apology! Just imagine if our undefeated season had ended this way! The only reason this didn't sting so much was because we've already lost.



While mistakes were certainly made, I was very encouraged by:



1) QB play in first start - if only he were a Fr and were going to stick around a while

2) Use of TEs

3) Smash mouth RBs - I love Williams, but Brown and Lasike just run over dudes

4) Pressure - we finally got "some" pressure "at times"



This team "should" be able to beat the remaining teams on it's schedule.
M
mtnradio
It WAS defensive pass interference. (One commentator said it could go either way, but that was a STUPID comment.)



BUT, the one bit of slack I'll give the refs on that call is that they were allowing receiver/db contact all night long. UCF fans thought BYU got away with some PI's ... BYU fans correctly feel that at least the last one should have been called ... but I liked the refs letting the players play, including the contact. That last one was more than a little contact and should have been called ...



But let's not fall into that "blame the refs" trap that is too easy to fall into. We know its there, we know it was a blown call ... it wouldn't have mattered but for a few other key events in the game. Like you, I think we saw some really good things come out of the game too!
B
byufan4ever
The commentators stated that the BYU DBs were playing great and that the refs correctly made no calls on the couple that UCF fans probably complained about. Not saying that commentators are always right, but that was their opinion. The only call (or non-call) I heard them question was the "Can I have your phone number because I really like you" PI non-call.
S
snoscythe
I think they held off on flaggin the game-ending PI because they were worried their ESL ref would have a hard time pronouncing "Pass Interference" like so many calls earlier in the night.
G
Gunk
Should have been a call. No question.



More importantly, we shouldn't have been in a position where a missed call in over time decides the game for us.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
The no-call was unfortunate, as I thought the refs had a good game up until the final play of the game.
B
Brayden Green
That game was so disappointing for me that I honestly didn't care much about the missed call. It was a hold, not a PI for those trying to get technical. It is still hard for me to believe how far BYU has fallen out of prominence. BYU is literally the 3rd best team in the state, and that is the first time that I have ever said that in my lifetime.



Instead of freaking out about the no-call, I suggest trying to figure out why BYU is going down to the last play against a miserable team like UCF in the first place.
S
snoscythe
BlueIsBetter wrote:
It was a hold, not a PI for those trying to get technical.


It was a hold up until the moment the ball left Stewart's hands intended for Leslie. At that point, it became PI.
M
mtnradio
BlueIsBetter wrote:
That game was so disappointing for me that I honestly didn't care much about the missed call. It was a hold, not a PI for those trying to get technical. It is still hard for me to believe how far BYU has fallen out of prominence. BYU is literally the 3rd best team in the state, and that is the first time that I have ever said that in my lifetime.



Instead of freaking out about the no-call, I suggest trying to figure out why BYU is going down to the last play against a miserable team like UCF in the first place.


Blue, step back from the edge, buddy. C'mon ... you can do it.



Why was BYU down to the last play against UCF? Look at injuries and start from there. Or, perhaps better yet, you may consider that UCF is NOT a "miserable team" ... they just beat Houston at Houston, nearly got Penn State in Dublin, and have an excellent shot at winning their conference.



And, although USU won the State Championship game ... that does NOT mean BYU is the third best team in the state. They were second best to USU that night ... but week in, week out I'd pick BYU. 8 out of 10 games, I'd pick BYU. And let's not even start with the guys who were too scared to schedule BYU!
B
Brayden Green
snoscythe wrote:
It was a hold, not a PI for those trying to get technical.


It was a hold up until the moment the ball left Stewart's hands intended for Leslie. At that point, it became PI.


Touche. But mine came first :P
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
mtnradio wrote:
That game was so disappointing for me that I honestly didn't care much about the missed call. It was a hold, not a PI for those trying to get technical. It is still hard for me to believe how far BYU has fallen out of prominence. BYU is literally the 3rd best team in the state, and that is the first time that I have ever said that in my lifetime.



Instead of freaking out about the no-call, I suggest trying to figure out why BYU is going down to the last play against a miserable team like UCF in the first place.


Blue, step back from the edge, buddy. C'mon ... you can do it.



Why was BYU down to the last play against UCF? Look at injuries and start from there. Or, perhaps better yet, you may consider that UCF is NOT a "miserable team" ... they just beat Houston at Houston, nearly got Penn State in Dublin, and have an excellent shot at winning their conference.



And, although USU won the State Championship game ... that does NOT mean BYU is the third best team in the state. They were second best to USU that night ... but week in, week out I'd pick BYU. 8 out of 10 games, I'd pick BYU. And let's not even start with the guys who were too scared to schedule BYU!


I like where your head is at. I think that if Utah or USU play us next week, and I had to put my entire $12 worth of life savings? I dunno, friend. I just don't know. I haven't been this numb to the football program since rape gate. Does anyone think that next year without Taysom is going to be better than this mess?
B
bigbluepuma
[quote="mtnradio"]It WAS defensive pass interference. (One commentator said it could go either way, but that was a STUPID comment.)



The announcer also said that the defender was actually in a better position to catch the pass than the receiver.

Well,,,, yeah!! When you pre-tackle the man you're defending, that does usually put you in a better position. :roll:
B
BYULV
BlueIsBetter wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
That game was so disappointing for me that I honestly didn't care much about the missed call. It was a hold, not a PI for those trying to get technical. It is still hard for me to believe how far BYU has fallen out of prominence. BYU is literally the 3rd best team in the state, and that is the first time that I have ever said that in my lifetime.



Instead of freaking out about the no-call, I suggest trying to figure out why BYU is going down to the last play against a miserable team like UCF in the first place.


Blue, step back from the edge, buddy. C'mon ... you can do it.



Why was BYU down to the last play against UCF? Look at injuries and start from there. Or, perhaps better yet, you may consider that UCF is NOT a "miserable team" ... they just beat Houston at Houston, nearly got Penn State in Dublin, and have an excellent shot at winning their conference.



And, although USU won the State Championship game ... that does NOT mean BYU is the third best team in the state. They were second best to USU that night ... but week in, week out I'd pick BYU. 8 out of 10 games, I'd pick BYU. And let's not even start with the guys who were too scared to schedule BYU!


I like where your head is at. I think that if Utah or USU play us next week, and I had to put my entire $12 worth of life savings? I dunno, friend. I just don't know. I haven't been this numb to the football program since rape gate. Does anyone think that next year without Taysom is going to be better than this mess?


Strangely, I'm more excited to watch this team the rest of the year now than I was a week ago. I think we did pretty well fighting through all the injuries, short week, long flight, etc. I want to see how this team does without all the starters pkaying.i like watching new/young guys step up and perform. I like seeing how the coaches adjust.



I don't get how you can be down on this team right now. They've been dealt a huge blow and very few teams could take a hit like that and not change the nature of their team. This has nothing to do with recruiting or our supposed fall from prominence vs other teams in the state, it has to do with an unlucky strike of the injury bug. In the long run this helps develop team depth for next year (minus at the QB position) and actually can make this team better if they attack it right. Count me in as optimistic the rest of the year, not yet ready to count these guys out against Boise st or Cal or our bowl opponent (even if it was miraculously Utah :evil: )
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.