Archived Topic

What makes you more sick?

by mendyman · 10/8/2014

Advertisement
M
mendyman
A) BYU lost it's shot at the inaugural playoffs

B) Taysom Hill lost his shot at the Heisman



And realistically which one had a greater chance?



I honestly feel worse for Taysom than I do for the football team because he lost both goals and I think he was closer to the Heisman than the team was to actually getting in to the playoffs. He also seems like such quality individual and you hate to see bad things happen to good guys. I haven't heard the technical details behind the break but it looked like it happened similar to Staley's break and look where his career (and feelings towards BYU) ended up. I'm sure Taysom will learn and grow from it.
M
mormonrasta
I don't think either were all that realistic. I feel bad for Taysom because he is actually hurt. I hope he recovers and we get back to winning on Thursday.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BYUBALLIN
I think Taysom would have had decent shot at it a lot of people were talking about him nationally. If we run the table next year we diff have a playoffs shot with that schdule.
A
ABYUFAN
Fwiw after Houston I figured that we're not a playoff team. My perspective is that if that's what you base whether or not you had a good year on, only 4 teams will have a "good" year



I'm enjoying watching fun football - so I'm not sick over no playoffs. I feel really bad for Taysom though by all accounts he's a stand up guy. No way he was going to win the Heisman, but I thought he'd have been invited to New York, and he'd have liked that



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
I believe that Staley's career was ended by his recurrent knee problems, not by his ankle fracture. Also, there is no expected parallel between Staley's grudge against BYU and Taysom Hill. Staley and Hill are separate and dissimilar people.



I don't think that BYU would have made the play offs, but I wanted to see the selection committee squirm over the controversy of an undefeated BYU. I wanted to see BYU talked about as a national power again. I do think an undefeated BYU would have made a New Year's Bowl berth. I feel sorry for Taysom, but I believe he'll be OK for next fall. However, BYU faces reduced odds for an undefeated season next year due to a potentially tougher schedule. This was the year for it, and that's the bummer. As fans, we will have to reset our expectations so that we can be happy with 10 to 11 win seasons, top 25 rankings, and wins in lesser bowls. A lot of "P5" teams' fans don't ever get even that (see U of U Red Tails) so we should be thankful.



Go Cougars!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
BOID wrote:
I believe that Staley's career was ended by his recurrent knee problems, not by his ankle fracture. Also, there is no expected parallel between Staley's grudge against BYU and Taysom Hill. Staley and Hill are separate and dissimilar people.



I don't think that BYU would have made the play offs, but I wanted to see the selection committee squirm over the controversy of an undefeated BYU. I wanted to see BYU talked about as a national power again. I do think an undefeated BYU would have made a New Year's Bowl berth. I feel sorry for Taysom, but I believe he'll be OK for next fall. However, BYU faces reduced odds for an undefeated season next year due to a potentially tougher schedule. This was the year for it, and that's the bummer. As fans, we will have to reset our expectations so that we can be happy with 10 to 11 win seasons, top 25 rankings, and wins in lesser bowls. A lot of "P5" teams' fans don't ever get even that (see U of U Red Tails) so we should be thankful.



Go Cougars!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The U actually has a chance at a great year. They show up for big games. We don't. They have speed and athleticism. Apparently we don't. Their coaches know how to scheme. Ours don't. They focus on the trenches being the difference makers. We understand this on offense (finally) but not on D.
F
frdbtr
mizzoucoug wrote:
I believe that Staley's career was ended by his recurrent knee problems, not by his ankle fracture. Also, there is no expected parallel between Staley's grudge against BYU and Taysom Hill. Staley and Hill are separate and dissimilar people.



I don't think that BYU would have made the play offs, but I wanted to see the selection committee squirm over the controversy of an undefeated BYU. I wanted to see BYU talked about as a national power again. I do think an undefeated BYU would have made a New Year's Bowl berth. I feel sorry for Taysom, but I believe he'll be OK for next fall. However, BYU faces reduced odds for an undefeated season next year due to a potentially tougher schedule. This was the year for it, and that's the bummer. As fans, we will have to reset our expectations so that we can be happy with 10 to 11 win seasons, top 25 rankings, and wins in lesser bowls. A lot of "P5" teams' fans don't ever get even that (see U of U Red Tails) so we should be thankful.



Go Cougars!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The U actually has a chance at a great year. They show up for big games. We don't. They have speed and athleticism. Apparently we don't. Their coaches know how to scheme. Ours don't. They focus on the trenches being the difference makers. We understand this on offense (finally) but not on D.


From this post, it sounds like you would be happier rooting for the utes.
G
Guest
mizzoucoug wrote:
I believe that Staley's career was ended by his recurrent knee problems, not by his ankle fracture. Also, there is no expected parallel between Staley's grudge against BYU and Taysom Hill. Staley and Hill are separate and dissimilar people.



I don't think that BYU would have made the play offs, but I wanted to see the selection committee squirm over the controversy of an undefeated BYU. I wanted to see BYU talked about as a national power again. I do think an undefeated BYU would have made a New Year's Bowl berth. I feel sorry for Taysom, but I believe he'll be OK for next fall. However, BYU faces reduced odds for an undefeated season next year due to a potentially tougher schedule. This was the year for it, and that's the bummer. As fans, we will have to reset our expectations so that we can be happy with 10 to 11 win seasons, top 25 rankings, and wins in lesser bowls. A lot of "P5" teams' fans don't ever get even that (see U of U Red Tails) so we should be thankful.



Go Cougars!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The U actually has a chance at a great year. They show up for big games. We don't. They have speed and athleticism. Apparently we don't. Their coaches know how to scheme. Ours don't. They focus on the trenches being the difference makers. We understand this on offense (finally) but not on D.


The Utes always consistently lose gimmee games before and after a big game every year.
C
cougarnerd
I had been hoping against hope that we would be able to get both...that said, neither was a high possibility. However, an undefeated season would have been awesome, as would a New Year's Bowl. And I feel really bad for Taysom--he works really hard and tries to do his best. But bad things sometimes happen to good people.



But if we had won, we would have likely have moved up 4 to 8 spots in the rankings, maybe as much as 10 or 12. If that's the case, a playoff selection isn't too improbably with an undefeated season, especially with another upset week later in the year.
C
CAFB_04-12
With this defense, the team was bound to lose eventually. Just not strong enough to go 12-0 with this D-line's pass rush and DBs making silly mistakes in the open field.



I feel for Taysom. I just don't see how he can ever be a strong runner with a blown left knee and shattered left leg/ankle. If BYU had won 10-11 games behind him I think he would have been a New York invitee, but probably not finished higher than 3 or 4 in the voting.



This team just has too many weaknesses to have gone 12-0 it turns out.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Much more sick for Taysom.



We were likely going to lose a game along the way, because going undefeated is really tough. But Taysom had a chance to be considered a top 5 player in the sport. That's pretty awesome.



Taysom was so much fun to watch. I believe he's done at BYU, and this injury probably drops him a round or two, but I still think he's likely to try the draft unless his draft review comes back really low or he's not ready for pro day/combine.
M
mendyman
BOID wrote:



A lot of "P5" teams' fans don't ever get even that (see U of U Red Tails) so we should be thankful.


Good Call. Always thankful to be a BYU fan. Saturday I had drill with a bunch of Utah State fans and they couldn't stop going on and on about how happy they were to ruin BYU's season. Not one of them seemed to care or be happy that their team won the game, just giddy that BYU lost the game. I know a lot of you hate Bronco's priorities but they stand for the reasons why I cheer for BYU and am proud of them win or lose.
B
BroncoBot
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
With this defense, the team was bound to lose eventually. Just not strong enough to go 12-0 with this D-line's pass rush and DBs making silly mistakes in the open field.



I feel for Taysom. I just don't see how he can ever be a strong runner with a blown left knee and shattered left leg/ankle. If BYU had won 10-11 games behind him I think he would have been a New York invitee, but probably not finished higher than 3 or 4 in the voting.



This team just has too many weaknesses to have gone 12-0 it turns out.

Don't have a lot of faith in modern surgery? Taysom may be good as ever to start the season. Remember, there were a lot who were calling his career over after the knee injury. Nah. He bounced back just fine. This ankle thing may or may not be a career ending injury. Only time will tell.
S
SpiffCoug
BroncoBot wrote:
With this defense, the team was bound to lose eventually. Just not strong enough to go 12-0 with this D-line's pass rush and DBs making silly mistakes in the open field.



I feel for Taysom. I just don't see how he can ever be a strong runner with a blown left knee and shattered left leg/ankle. If BYU had won 10-11 games behind him I think he would have been a New York invitee, but probably not finished higher than 3 or 4 in the voting.



This team just has too many weaknesses to have gone 12-0 it turns out.

Don't have a lot of faith in modern surgery? Taysom may be good as ever to start the season. Remember, there were a lot who were calling his career over after the knee injury. Nah. He bounced back just fine. This ankle thing may or may not be a career ending injury. Only time will tell.

I don't have much faith in the surgeons BYU utilizes. I believe this is part of the gripe that several vocal players have (Staley, Pendleton, Kuresa, etc.)
S
Stirfry
SpiffCoug wrote:
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
With this defense, the team was bound to lose eventually. Just not strong enough to go 12-0 with this D-line's pass rush and DBs making silly mistakes in the open field.



I feel for Taysom. I just don't see how he can ever be a strong runner with a blown left knee and shattered left leg/ankle. If BYU had won 10-11 games behind him I think he would have been a New York invitee, but probably not finished higher than 3 or 4 in the voting.



This team just has too many weaknesses to have gone 12-0 it turns out.

Don't have a lot of faith in modern surgery? Taysom may be good as ever to start the season. Remember, there were a lot who were calling his career over after the knee injury. Nah. He bounced back just fine. This ankle thing may or may not be a career ending injury. Only time will tell.

I don't have much faith in the surgeons BYU utilizes. I believe this is part of the gripe that several vocal players have (Staley, Pendleton, Kuresa, etc.)


They aren't using the same surgeons that they used for those guys most of the time now. Taysom (not sure on this most recent injury but the knee two years ago), Apo's most recent one, KVN's and Collinsworth have all gone to a different group
Advertisement
Y
Yzzazz
I think Taysom had at least a 50-50 shot at winning the Heisman, and had he not been injured, I think BYU would have won the game and in doing so Taysom would probably have been able to help BYU run the table and deservedly been awarded the Heisman.



Think of it this way. If Hill doesn't go down and actually manages to engineer a win against Utah State, he proves his value to the team. If he was capable of actually pulling out a win in that game, he might also have been capable of helping the team go undefeated.



With all the power 5 teams that stumbled last week, Hill's come from behind win would have been such a standout performance that he would have vaulted to front-runner status. Further, the guy just looks good when he plays. He absolutely has that wow factor to his stature and moves. The camera loves him and media types would have swarmed him all season long.



All of this is still important because he will be back next year against a legit schedule. The stakes remain high.



Now I know I'm making a lot of assumptions about Hill pulling off a win against USU, but I really do think he could have done it. BYU showed it was capable of driving and gaining yards on the ground against the Aggies. Towards the end of the game, BYU's offensive woes were mainly self-inflicted. Stewart's last throws were all off the mark, but every one of them featured a mismatched receiver who could have brought down a well-thrown ball with ease.



Meanwhile for all its rightfully-criticized poor play, the defense was able to slow USU enough late in the game to have allowed for a comeback. I think Taysom scores the drive he was injured on, and I think he scores again on the four and out series that Stewart failed to convert on. It's hard to imagine Taysom could not have engineered another score along the way.



The biggest evidence of all for this is the Houston game last year. Hill came from behind in a gritty all-offense game. So I maintain my belief that BYU stays in the hunt without him injured.



That being said, I think Taysom's Heisman run hasn't ended. It's just shifted its target by 12 months. Because if someone can reasonably make this argument, then media types won't be able to dismiss it next year and Taysom will be a fixture of Heisman talk right from the beginning of the season.
R
runbyu1
Stirfry wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
With this defense, the team was bound to lose eventually. Just not strong enough to go 12-0 with this D-line's pass rush and DBs making silly mistakes in the open field.



I feel for Taysom. I just don't see how he can ever be a strong runner with a blown left knee and shattered left leg/ankle. If BYU had won 10-11 games behind him I think he would have been a New York invitee, but probably not finished higher than 3 or 4 in the voting.



This team just has too many weaknesses to have gone 12-0 it turns out.

Don't have a lot of faith in modern surgery? Taysom may be good as ever to start the season. Remember, there were a lot who were calling his career over after the knee injury. Nah. He bounced back just fine. This ankle thing may or may not be a career ending injury. Only time will tell.

I don't have much faith in the surgeons BYU utilizes. I believe this is part of the gripe that several vocal players have (Staley, Pendleton, Kuresa, etc.)


They aren't using the same surgeons that they used for those guys most of the time now. Taysom (not sure on this most recent injury but the knee two years ago), Apo's most recent one, KVN's and Collinsworth have all gone to a different group


I'm really glad to hear this because when I was an athlete at BYU, we called Dr. Kimball and his group the "career destroyers." Sometimes people got back long enough to play, but then they were a mess after that and presumably for the rest of their life.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.