Archived Topic

Utes r good for a laugh

by BYUBALLIN · 10/7/2014

Advertisement
B
BYUBALLIN
I only lived in Utah for 2 years but the utes fan base has to be close to the top of my list of just flat out horrible fan bases..Besides the fact that on two diff occasions my wife was run off the road by utes morons. Funny they never did it while I was in the car geeee I wonder why..I still have some friends on my facebook page from my utah job. As always they come running when BYU loses. Personally I could give a rats butt if the utes lose or not unless we are playing them. Here is the funny part they start talking all kinds of crap and finally I say Atleast we did not blow a 21 point lead at home to a bad wsu team.. They respond with wsu is a good team..my response good teams give up 60 points? Good teams lose at home to Nevada and Rutgers..good teams are 2-4 wow you just can't argue stupid guys..the best part is they called BYU schedule filled with cupcakes..Then try to argue that Nevada almost beat a GOOD BSU team and wsu lost to cal but cal a good team they say..Wow how can you u argue with that logic..you just can't.
F
Fido
BYUBALLIN wrote:
I only lived in Utah for 2 years but the utes fan base has to be close to the top of my list of just flat out horrible fan bases..Besides the fact that on two diff occasions my wife was run off the road by utes morons. Funny they never did it while I was in the car geeee I wonder why..I still have some friends on my facebook page from my utah job. As always they come running when BYU loses. Personally I could give a rats butt if the utes lose or not unless we are playing them. Here is the funny part they start talking all kinds of crap and finally I say Atleast we did not blow a 21 point lead at home to a bad wsu team.. They respond with wsu is a good team..my response good teams give up 60 points? Good teams lose at home to Nevada and Rutgers..good teams are 2-4 wow you just can't argue stupid guys..the best part is they called BYU schedule filled with cupcakes..Then try to argue that Nevada almost beat a GOOD BSU team and wsu lost to cal but cal a good team they say..Wow how can you u argue with that logic..you just can't.


I don't know man. This sounds like a cougarboard post. Really? Ute fans running your wife off the road? TWICE? Come on...



And BYU's schedule DOES have some cupcakes on it. Savannah State? They are FCS but here is their game schedule so far this year:

- Middle Tennessee State, L 7-61

- Georgia Southern, L 9-83

- Fort Valley State, L 28-42

- Delaware State, L 10-35

- Norfolk State, L 7-14

That is a cupcake if there ever was one.



UCONN has been disappointing with a 1-4 record--that 1 win coming against FCS Stoney Brook and none of their losses have come against a P5 team. There is probably 2.



UNLV? 1-5 with their only win against FCS Northern Colorado. That's 3.



There are some others that can be downgraded vs the Pac12 schedule that Utah has certainly. Sounds to me like you need to lose some friends on facebook for being total tools. ;)
B
ByUte1315
BYUBallin everything you said can be applied to BYU fans as well. At the last BYU-Utah game a punk kid (read 130 lb freshman) acted like he was going to tackle me because I was wearing Ute gear while waiting in line for the student section (though a Ute fan I currently attend BYU Law and my wife is a HUGE BYU fan)--he didn't because I heard his footsteps and turned to face him he pulled off at the last minute, then after the game while holding my wife's hand and trailing slightly behind her a 65-70 year old man rammed his way through my grip and verbally accosted me (and let's not mention save in this parenthetical the trash throwing after that game). There are jerks literally everywhere and in every fan base. I would attribute those actions not to the fan base but to idiocy, which, sadly, because of the fact that a lot of U fans are not Mormon and so often intake substances that make them dumber.



Now, for mind bending logic again that is attributable to all fan bases. In the last 4 years BYU has never lost to the U they just beat themselves. Or the refs did it. Or some other excuse. Again common to all fan bases. I agree with Fido, sounds like your FB friends are just a bunch of tools. You need to find some reasonable U fans, and trust me they are a plenty, and talk to them. Some of my best football convos have occurred between my self and hardline but reasonable Y fans.



Good luck for the rest of the season.
B
BYUBALLIN
Trust me the running Off the road really happen. I have lived in Chicago for most of my life and a die hard Chicago sports fan ( minus the cubs cuz they r a disgrace to my wonderful city) in that time I have travel all over to watch the White sox, Bears, Blackhawks and Bulls. In my experiences the utes I have run into have just been awful. Iam not trying to label the entire fan base because all teams have them. Utes just seem to have the second class citizen when it comes to BYU. It's not enough for the utes to win and have a good season they wanna see BYU get destroyed. Personally I don't care what the utes do if we are not playing them. Since we are no longer in conf foes all your games me nothing to me. Iam sure there has to be one good utes fan some place..lol iam teasing..
B
BYUBALLIN
Fido wrote:
I only lived in Utah for 2 years but the utes fan base has to be close to the top of my list of just flat out horrible fan bases..Besides the fact that on two diff occasions my wife was run off the road by utes morons. Funny they never did it while I was in the car geeee I wonder why..I still have some friends on my facebook page from my utah job. As always they come running when BYU loses. Personally I could give a rats butt if the utes lose or not unless we are playing them. Here is the funny part they start talking all kinds of crap and finally I say Atleast we did not blow a 21 point lead at home to a bad wsu team.. They respond with wsu is a good team..my response good teams give up 60 points? Good teams lose at home to Nevada and Rutgers..good teams are 2-4 wow you just can't argue stupid guys..the best part is they called BYU schedule filled with cupcakes..Then try to argue that Nevada almost beat a GOOD BSU team and wsu lost to cal but cal a good team they say..Wow how can you u argue with that logic..you just can't.


I don't know man. This sounds like a cougarboard post. Really? Ute fans running your wife off the road? TWICE? Come on...



And BYU's schedule DOES have some cupcakes on it. Savannah State? They are FCS but here is their game schedule so far this year:

- Middle Tennessee State, L 7-61

- Georgia Southern, L 9-83

- Fort Valley State, L 28-42

- Delaware State, L 10-35

- Norfolk State, L 7-14

That is a cupcake if there ever was one.



UCONN has been disappointing with a 1-4 record--that 1 win coming against FCS Stoney Brook and none of their losses have come against a P5 team. There is probably 2.



UNLV? 1-5 with their only win against FCS Northern Colorado. That's 3.



There are some others that can be downgraded vs the Pac12 schedule that Utah has certainly. Sounds to me like you need to lose some friends on facebook for being total tools. ;)

I promise that is the truth..my entire car is covered in BYU stuff
Advertisement
G
Gunk
So glad I don't live in Utah and have to deal with this.



Maybe it's because there are many universities and professional teams in my area but this hatred for someone that likes a different team than you is dumb.



The biggest "rivalry" here is Cal vs Stanford. The college students get all into it a bit but it isn't a self-identity like it is in Utah. Stanford and Cal alum get together in mixed groups all the time to watch the "big" game.
B
BYUBALLIN
From what I have seen there are two kinds of people that hate BYU one because they don't like the Church and two because they did not get into BYU. In my 35 years of cheering for BYU most of it as a non member of the church the hAte for BYU sports is like nothing I have ever seen. Trust me in Chicago the day you are born the nurse and doctor both tell you " you hate the Packers" lol..iam serious I have never seen another sports team/ university with so many passionate haters. Seriously why does Norte dame not get the kinda hate that BYU does. Is it just that catholic ( which I used to be) Is just more accepted that being Mormon?

One a side note growing up loving BYU sports best day ever was when I got to school after BYU upset ND at home..almost all of the people I went to school with loved ND. Yes I did a little gloating that day still have the USA today article from that game..yep iam a BYU sports nerd and proud of it.lol
A
ABYUFAN
ByUte1315 wrote:



Now, for mind bending logic again that is attributable to all fan bases. In the last 4 years BYU has never lost to the U they just beat themselves. Or the refs did it. Or some other excuse. . .

Nice. Yep here on this board after every Utah game every poster said that Utah never beat BYU. Every darn time!



I get it, you're a Ute fan, and you like to poke BYU fans in the eye with your fandom, - you get a rush out of wearing Ute gear to a game that they aren't playing in, but apparantly that's not enough for you , You now have to come to a BYU board, and call all Cougar fans delusional. Every. damn. one. That's why you use aboslutes like "never."



Nice
B
ByUte1315
ABYUFAN wrote:



Now, for mind bending logic again that is attributable to all fan bases. In the last 4 years BYU has never lost to the U they just beat themselves. Or the refs did it. Or some other excuse. . .

Nice. Yep here on this board after every Utah game every poster said that Utah never beat BYU. Every darn time!



I get it, you're a Ute fan, and you like to poke BYU fans in the eye with your fandom, - you get a rush out of wearing Ute gear to a game that they aren't playing in, but apparantly that's not enough for you , You now have to come to a BYU board, and call all Cougar fans delusional. Every. damn. one. That's why you use aboslutes like "never."



Nice




ABYUFAN did you read what I wrote? I wore Ute gear to a Utah-BYU game, the last one at LES. As in the game in 2013. As in last year. Meaning the UTES were playing BYU. I also attended every other BYU home game (save for the one that was close to finals) and I CHEERED on BYU.



I never called all BYU fans delusional. If you read my post without prejudice you would see I said delusional fans are everywhere. Further, if you read further down my post I said there are some reasonable BYU fans that I talk to frequently and have good football conversations with. So, while I can see where you think I am going after all BYU fans, I apologize for my lack of clarity, my whole post was to point out that the things BYUBALLIN complains of is common within all fan bases. Every. Single. One.



Just to make sure this is cleared up.



1) I never meant to intimate all BYU fans are delusional, only that some are and I dislike all fans that do that



2) The last 4 wins against the Y several Cougar fans have never given credit to the U for straight up beating them.



3) I don't hate BYU, I don't try to get under a fan's skin unless it's in good fun (i.e. giving my boss several apple turnovers after the 54-10 debacle).



4) The only time I wore utah gear to a BYU game was when Utah played them.
B
BoiseBYU
BYU Ute fan, I agree that there are delusional fans all around and no one has a monopoly on morons. That is why I gave you a plus one or whatever that button is. I wish when BYU plays Utah you would choose to wear BYU gear and not Utah gear, but to each their own. That said, given you are more a Utah fan than a BYU fan it still seems weird to me you'd show up after a devastating loss. Why? I had no need to show up after your loss to WSU to wish you all good luck the rest of the season. A rational fan knows that the time to show up on a rival's site is not after the rival has had calamity befall them. It ranks hollow. Maybe since you guys beat UCLA I should show up on your site and wish you good luck the rest of the season. I think you'll need it even yet.
Advertisement
B
ByUte1315
BoiseBYU wrote:
BYU Ute fan, I agree that there are delusional fans all around and no one has a monopoly on morons. That is why I gave you a plus one or whatever that button is. I wish when BYU plays Utah you would choose to wear BYU gear and not Utah gear, but to each their own. That said, given you are more a Utah fan than a BYU fan it still seems weird to me you'd show up after a devastating loss. Why? I had no need to show up after your loss to WSU to wish you all good luck the rest of the season. A rational fan knows that the time to show up on a rival's site is not after the rival has had calamity befall them. It ranks hollow. Maybe since you guys beat UCLA I should show up on your site and wish you good luck the rest of the season. I think you'll need it even yet.




I'm actually on here quite a bit, I just don't post much, like never. And yes the U will still need a lot of luck. I'm on here because I like to see the Y succeed. Having the U and Y both be good teams in the state makes church and life so much more fun, if we don't get caught up in it like I do sometimes. I just take exception to what BYUBALLIN calling an entire fan base horrible. It gets my hackles raised and I happened to be in a bad mood at the time I posted, hunger and exhaustion will do that to the best of us. And I am a champion of a hopeless cause to point out to both fans in both camps when they are being delusional. It's my attempt to get rid of the blind rancor that infests the rivalry.



With that said, I really do wish the Y the best, it's hard not to when in a few years the Y will be an alma mater of mine.
B
BYUBALLIN
Like I said I have traveled all over to sporting venues and IN MY experiences the utes are the worst I have run into..if you wanna take that and assume that I think every utes fan is horrible that's on you..I would never say every utes fan is horrible.
A
ABYUFAN
ByUte1315 wrote:



2) The last 4 wins against the Y several Cougar fans have never given credit to the U for straight up beating them.


That's a strange thing to complain about. Do we need universal acceptance of the team that that we choose to cheer for? I've seen this gripe on the Utah board the few times I've gone over there and I just don't get it. It's like there is some sort of need for someone who they've never met, nor likely ever will meet, to say "uncle." And unless that person does, they'll get mad as hell over it...



Again, I say to your comment, "so what?" It's kind of creepy that a large percentage of a fan base will get so uptight that their rival is somehow less than human because they don't give whatever that fan base expects is it's just due. I suspect that if I gave you a dollar for every poster on here that said that BYU was the better team the past four years, if you give me a dollar for every poster at Utefans.net that complained about the BYU fans not acknowledging that Utah was the better team, I'd get two bucks from you for every one that I give you.



That said, I did skim your original post and erroneously thought that you said the Utah State game, so I apologize for that misunderstanding, it was my fault.
C
Cougarfan87
ByUte1315 wrote:
BYU Ute fan, I agree that there are delusional fans all around and no one has a monopoly on morons. That is why I gave you a plus one or whatever that button is. I wish when BYU plays Utah you would choose to wear BYU gear and not Utah gear, but to each their own. That said, given you are more a Utah fan than a BYU fan it still seems weird to me you'd show up after a devastating loss. Why? I had no need to show up after your loss to WSU to wish you all good luck the rest of the season. A rational fan knows that the time to show up on a rival's site is not after the rival has had calamity befall them. It ranks hollow. Maybe since you guys beat UCLA I should show up on your site and wish you good luck the rest of the season. I think you'll need it even yet.




I'm actually on here quite a bit, I just don't post much, like never. And yes the U will still need a lot of luck. I'm on here because I like to see the Y succeed. Having the U and Y both be good teams in the state makes church and life so much more fun, if we don't get caught up in it like I do sometimes. I just take exception to what BYUBALLIN calling an entire fan base horrible. It gets my hackles raised and I happened to be in a bad mood at the time I posted, hunger and exhaustion will do that to the best of us. And I am a champion of a hopeless cause to point out to both fans in both camps when they are being delusional. It's my attempt to get rid of the blind rancor that infests the rivalry.



With that said, I really do wish the Y the best, it's hard not to when in a few years the Y will be an alma mater of mine.


I applaud your efforts to try and rid the rivalry of the rancor. I am pretty tired of it. So, I actually posted congrats on some of my family and friend's facebook pages after that very good game against UCLA. All of this rancor is really just bad. It should be about a game...a game. Not life. Not death. A game. Utah has outplayed us four years in a row, and if we played this year, I think they would probably beat us again...even with a healthy Taysom (sheltering from the lightning strikes now). I don't like saying that, but Utah's recruiting seems to have improved, and their team speed is pretty impressive. While some of us would like to stick our collective heads in the sand and pretend BYU would still dominate the Utes circa the early 1980s or with Detmer, the fact is the Utes have improved greatly. They are a formidable opponent, as UCLA found out the hard way. So, I am all for giving just desserts and putting the hatred aside. At least I will, because for me it detracts from my enjoyment of the game, rather than adding to it. I guess that is a personal decision everyone needs to make.
B
ByUte1315
ABYUFAN wrote:



2) The last 4 wins against the Y several Cougar fans have never given credit to the U for straight up beating them.


That's a strange thing to complain about. Do we need universal acceptance of the team that that we choose to cheer for? I've seen this gripe on the Utah board the few times I've gone over there and I just don't get it. It's like there is some sort of need for someone who they've never met, nor likely ever will meet, to say "uncle." And unless that person does, they'll get mad as hell over it...



Again, I say to your comment, "so what?" It's kind of creepy that a large percentage of a fan base will get so uptight that their rival is somehow less than human because they don't give whatever that fan base expects is it's just due. I suspect that if I gave you a dollar for every poster on here that said that BYU was the better team the past four years, if you give me a dollar for every poster at Utefans.net that complained about the BYU fans not acknowledging that Utah was the better team, I'd get two bucks from you for every one that I give you.



That said, I did skim your original post and erroneously thought that you said the Utah State game, so I apologize for that misunderstanding, it was my fault.




That comment is meant to illustrate that there are delusional fans in every single fan base. They simply refuse to see that their team is not the best. As the last 4 years indicate Utah has been the better team. That's all that example was meant for.



Another example of delusional fan basing is when a team loses and a fan says, "Well if only all the bad things didn't happen to our team and everything else remained the same then things would have turned out completely differently." This is nothing more than ex post facto wishing. I could accept this argument if you extend that benefit to the other side and then come to the same conclusion. (Although, I suppose even this is deeply flawed since it fails to account for the necessary game time adjustments that would happen in any given situation but I digress). Point being, trying to justify a loss is a sign of desperation.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.