Archived Topic

Texas - ND cancel 2019 and 2020 series

by Fido · 9/25/2014

Advertisement
F
Fido
ND paid Texas a cancellation fee. That means Texas has nobody on their OOC schedule for those two years. Maybe they are up for another H/H series? :lol:



Just found that interesting. I wonder when Notre Dame is going to try and schedule any of those remaining 4 games.
S
scott715
Sign them up. Have to get good games.
Y
YNot
Although the response has been that the move was needed to accommodate Georgia into the schedule, I think this move helps the BYU-Notre Dame series.



I still think we will see Notre Dame in Provo in 2017 or 2018 and 2021 or 2023.



More trips to South Bend in 2019 or 2020 and 2022.
Y
YNot
I would LOVE to get Texas on the 2019 and 2020 schedules! Would they be willing after the last two games? What if we threw in a "neutral" site game at Arlington or Houston?
S
stuckinbig10country
I would give up a home game with ND to be their Shamrock series opponent at a western site (Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle) if we got the home game first.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
If I were Texas, I'd want these games. Their program will be in better shape four years from now (should be at least) and if I were them I'd want to show that off by playing BYU.
C
Cougarbib
Hold ND to their commitment, and tell Texas that we have paid our dues and expect to play them straight up in the future. We have owned them, mostly due to good timing, but owned them 4-1 nonetheless, iirc. And that 1 loss was a squeaker. It has to be eating at them. Big 12 teams OOC schedules are under pressure to quit playing cupcakes since they have no championship game. BYU is respected once more.
N
NDCougar
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I would give up a home game with ND to be their Shamrock series opponent at a western site (Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle) if we got the home game first.




Like it. I would love the game at Cowboy Stadium. Big LDS crowd and a recruiting hot bed for both teams.



I don't see ND going to Seattle, no reason for them and little upside. ND would play internationally so they could be a willing partners......from the ND angle I have heard various rumors ND may be looking for a game in China (Stanford was a rumored opponent at some point).
N
NDCougar
Fido wrote:
ND paid Texas a cancellation fee. That means Texas has nobody on their OOC schedule for those two years. Maybe they are up for another H/H series? :lol:



Just found that interesting. I wonder when Notre Dame is going to try and schedule any of those remaining 4 games.


Unique situation that I would not read into in any way regarding BYU. There are "rumors" about what happened.



The ND AD likes to have home and home series set up not necessarily 2 and 2 given the ACC schedule and did not want to be locked-in for so long with UT. ND wants to diversify the schedule, they also have Georgia overlapping one of those years. That being said the only way for the ND AD to get this done how he wanted was to cancel the last home and home so other teams could be added. There are other rumors games.



The advantage BYU has in getting on the schedule is no conference, thus they can work on a date that works. Secondarily, Holmoe has agreed to be flexible with ND. ND has committed to playing the games with BYU at this point......any changes could be due to the environment in CFB, ie if ND is forced to join the ACC conference fulltime the BYU game goes away or if BYU joins a conference and can no longer be flexible.



The "rumored" part of this is ND AD can't stand UT's new AD as he gave him problems adjusting the ND schedule to fit added ACC games when Peterson (UT's AD) was at ASU. If you recall, ND tried to get out of the game this year with Arizona State because of the ACC schedule requirement. Not only did Patterson refuse, he went to the media and made a lot of cracks about priests and nuns and made other "jokes" about Catholics not keeping their word. He said he was joking but you can bet that Jack Swarbrick (ND's AD) and others were not happy. Swarbrick is rumored to have done this to give Peterson the "bird".
G
Gunk
The way Texas is playing, a game against BYU looks better on ND's schedule anyways.
Advertisement
N
NDCougar
Gunk wrote:
The way Texas is playing, a game against BYU looks better on ND's schedule anyways.


As an ND fan I would rather see UT than BYU.....BYU is definitely a more difficult opponent.
C
Cougarbib
NDCougar wrote:
The way Texas is playing, a game against BYU looks better on ND's schedule anyways.


As an ND fan I would rather see UT than BYU.....BYU is definitely a more difficult opponent.


Who knows how good or bad ND, TX, or BYU will be in 2019 and 2020. I am not even sure how good I will be by then. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
NDCougar
Cougarbib wrote:
Gunk wrote:
The way Texas is playing, a game against BYU looks better on ND's schedule anyways.


As an ND fan I would rather see UT than BYU.....BYU is definitely a more difficult opponent.


Who knows how good or bad ND, TX, or BYU will be in 2019 and 2020. I am not even sure how good I will be by then. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Exactly......ND just added Texas A&M in 2024 and 2025. When Brian Kelly was asked about the game:


"I'll be sipping a Mai Tai on the beach."


I will have a house full of teenagers!
F
Fido
So I found a good analysis of how Notre Dame builds their schedule on another BYU site and can see why it has been such a chore to get the BYU games scheduled. Part of it is how ND seems to have a tendency to over-schedule and then has to move games around. Not sure why but it seems to be a recurring theme--especially with the ACC games now.



Here is the deal: ND annually has 2 home ACC games, 2 away ACC games, and one that alternates between home and away annually. Then they have 3 long running Home/Away matchups: Navy (thru 2024-@ Navy games at neutral site), USC (thru 2023), and Stanford (thru 2019). That consumes 8 of the 12 games.

Then there is the Shamrock Series game - a "Home away from Home" game that is usually a 7th home game. They will play at NFL stadiums, bowl stadiums (Alamodome), or sites like Fenway Park (Boston).

Their final 3 games are a Home game, an Away game (those two usually scheduled as a series), and a 1 and done game @ Home.



So the point in saying all that is there are really 3 slots that BYU has a realistic shot at--the H/A slots or the 1:Done slot (unless they can get a Shamrock Series game).



Here is how games are stacked in those slots right now (full 2015 and 2016 schedules for ND have already been released and no BYU on them):

2017: (H) Georgia, (A) Michigan State, (1:Done) Temple

2018: (H) OPEN, (A) believed to have 2 games scheduled - Northwestern/BYU (not sure which game will move), (1:Done) OPEN

2019: (H) OPEN, (A) Georgia, (1:Done) OPEN

2020: (H) OPEN, (A) Purdue, (1:Done) OPEN

2021: (H) Purdue, (A) OPEN, (1:Done) OPEN

2022: (H) OPEN, (A) Ohio State, (1:Done) OPEN

2023: (H) Ohio State, (A) OPEN, (1:Done) OPEN

2024: (H) OPEN, (A) Texas A&M (also shows a @ Purdue that year), (1:Done) OPEN

2025: (H) Texas A&M (also shows Purdue that year), (A) OPEN, (1:Done) OPEN



Notice the coveted Away game is pretty booked. There is a shot at 2018 if they move Northwestern--but then they are booked with only 2021, 2023, and 2025 showing as available currently. Hopefully something can work for getting BYU into some of those H/A slots in their schedule. And hopefully ND doesn't have something else in the college football landscape come up like full membership in the ACC or something like that.
C
Cougarbib
It boils down to this. We gave them a 4 and 2 which should have fit nicely into that model. Think of a 4 and 2 being a 2 and 1 and another 2 and 1. Think of each set of 2 and 1 as being a home and away combined with a 1 and done.



So, right now, they owe us 1 game in Provo. Then we would be even for the first set.



After that, if ND cannot commit, scratch the last 3 games and walk away friends.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
scott715
Yes I am willing to give up the last 3 games. Just come to Provo and call it good. The PR from the original announcement did its purpose.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.