Archived Topic

Will USU@BYU Sell Out

by Cougarbib · 9/25/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Attendance is a little off in Provo and in lots of other places. USU ain't Utah. But a rivalry of sorts. It is a short drive from Logan. Aggies all over the state, actually. Will they show up?



Did I mention that BYU is 4-0?



Feel free to comment on why or why not.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
there is something wrong this year. Fan apathy is really surprising me. We have a talent at QB that we may never see again at BYU, we are 4-0 and yet we can't sell out a 1:30pm Saturday game against a good ACC opponent. I am really disappointed in our fan base this year.
C
craigoscarson
Jim McMahon is going into the Hall of Fame... we're playing in in state rival that will bring fans... of course it'll sell out
S
scott715
And people in town for conference.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Screamineagle
frdbtr wrote:
there is something wrong this year. Fan apathy is really surprising me. We have a talent at QB that we may never see again at BYU, we are 4-0 and yet we can't sell out a 1:30pm Saturday game against a good ACC opponent. I am really disappointed in our fan base this year.

This is not a bag on ticket prices response I for one think they are fair but I do wonder how many people are in the same boat I am in.I simply cant afford it right now.I always go to at least one game every year this year it will be Savannah State.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Screamineagle wrote:
there is something wrong this year. Fan apathy is really surprising me. We have a talent at QB that we may never see again at BYU, we are 4-0 and yet we can't sell out a 1:30pm Saturday game against a good ACC opponent. I am really disappointed in our fan base this year.

This is not a bag on ticket prices response I for one think they are fair but I do wonder how many people are in the same boat I am in.I simply cant afford it right now.I always go to at least one game every year this year it will be Savannah State.


I went to the Houston game. I don't go every year but I decided I had to pay to see Taysom Hill live at least once this year. This team should be selling out every game. I don't accept any excuses (I am not getting on you). If I were old enough to have appreciated the season in 84 I would have done whatever I could to get to a game and see that team play. This team could go undefeated and still not accomplish what that one did. Take advantage of opportunities to be involved in the great moments. I didn't get to see Jimmer live, that was a mistake.
S
Screamineagle
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
there is something wrong this year. Fan apathy is really surprising me. We have a talent at QB that we may never see again at BYU, we are 4-0 and yet we can't sell out a 1:30pm Saturday game against a good ACC opponent. I am really disappointed in our fan base this year.

This is not a bag on ticket prices response I for one think they are fair but I do wonder how many people are in the same boat I am in.I simply cant afford it right now.I always go to at least one game every year this year it will be Savannah State.


I went to the Houston game. I don't go every year but I decided I had to pay to see Taysom Hill live at least once this year. This team should be selling out every game. I don't accept any excuses (I am not getting on you). If I were old enough to have appreciated the season in 84 I would have done whatever I could to get to a game and see that team play. This team could go undefeated and still not accomplish what that one did. Take advantage of opportunities to be involved in the great moments. I didn't get to see Jimmer live, that was a mistake.

I was in the MTC in 84 and just happened to get to go to the UTEP game that year always been glad I did.You are right about seeing Taysom Hill I saw him last year and will see him once this year don't feel like you were getting on me for me its not an excuse its a fact but I guess I am proof that if you want to go you can figure out a way
C
Cougs_Rule
No. USU is down. BYU is undefeated. Chuckle is down and maybe out. Ag fans wont pay high prices to show up for a possible blow out.
C
Cougarbib
Scalpers run a booming business. He time I gave away my season tickets to the Idaho State game so my son's could take their friends, but then decided to hang around for the game, I bought an end zone seat for $10 from the scalper by the Chevron station across from the south west corner of the stadium because I arrived last minute and there were no fans selling extra seats at that point. Of course, I sat next to the fan that sold it to the scalper. They asked what I paid and then told me the scalper only gave them $3.



If you only need 1 or 2 tickets or need more but do not all need to sit together, do like the scalpers do. They have 1 or 2 guys a block or more further from the stadium with an I need tickets sign working the fans coming up university Avenue from Bulldog or coming up Canyon Road, or coming up University Parkway and then run them up to the stadium to sell for triple what they buy them for.



Cut out the middleman. Many fans with 1 extra ticket are happy to get hot dog money f our it quickly rather than stand there a long time trying to get a higher price.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Doesn't sell out. USU is down. It's cheaper and less painful for USU fans to watch the game from home.



Conference may bring some more fans to the game, but not enough.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
J
jonnylingo
It won't sell out unfortunately.



BYU fans took a beating through the riley nelson era. while that was going on Utah was invited to the pac12. lots of disappointment. also they raised the ticket prices which really bugged a lot of people.



It will take a while before the stadium starts selling out again. The good news is that Taysom Hill is football's Jimmer (not that level yet). Jimmer did so much for byu bball. it got people going again and people have continued.



i think people underestimate the effect the prices of seats have on attendance.



Hopefully by years end.



**update. looks like i am wrong. the ticket prices just went up. i can only imagine that means they expect a sell out!
S
snoscythe
I think Utah and USU games have sold out every time for the last 20 years.



Of course it will sell out, and it might be the only one this season.
C
Cougarbib
I picked undecided so far. I am leaning toward yes and re-visit is allowed. I wonder how many people including curiosity seekers who are not BYU fans will come just to be able to say they were there when Jim McMahon and BYU buried the hatchet. How many curious to hear just what the ever quotable McMahon will say. There is no filter. Conversely, how many BYU fans that have resented his off the field behavior and legend will stay away to send a message or out of fear of what McMahon might say that could be offensive. Remember. No filter. I do not think he will go Jameis Winston or anything like that, but he has had some good 1 liners already - gee I did more homework in the last month than I did the whole time I attended BYU.



After Further Review, this week, had some great McMahon stories and footage. McMahon played a huge role in bringing younger players like Steve Young, Robbie Bosco, and Blaine Fowler up to speed.



I would not miss this Friday night opportunity even if the stock market was taking a nose dive, I had a geyser size leak in my orchard, a water heater pipe burst in my house, and the smoke we smelled in the middle of the night was the motor and housing for my well catching on fire all in a 2 day period....seriously - all of that happened this week. But, I will still be coming. Go Cougars.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
scott715 wrote:
And people in town for conference.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yeah, but also there are usually conflicting mission reunions on that Friday night.



I personally don't believe it will sell out unless we end up with about 3K of USU fans. On a Saturday it might have sold out.
E
EM_Puma
Cougarbib wrote:
I wonder how many people including curiosity seekers who are not BYU fans will come just to be able to say they were there when Jim McMahon and BYU buried the hatchet.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Initially I thought that for certain I was going to be there, but I was there when McMahon was there with the other All-American QBs were there for the WSU game and he's only one of five athletes that are being inducted--the only one of the group having his jersey retired. I'm sure BYUtv sports will adequately cover the ceremony and I'll watch it from my comfortable recliner. I've been to the last two home games.
Advertisement
S
Stirfry
It will sell out. The Jimmy Mac aspect plus it's the instate rivalry and the only home game that there's an emotional attachment to this year that goes past our W/L record. Friday night games are actually my favorites. They take less time out of my daylight hours.
C
Cougarbib
I am noticing two things different about this game Vs Houston and Virginia. As a season ticket holder I got several email reminders that I could purchase extra tickets and emails about the $10.00 tickets for Houston. And nobody checking with me to see if I have extra tickets.



Vs USU, I have not seen such emails and I have had my son and his wife and a CC Friend ask if I had extra tickets. UVA was tighter availability and higher attendance than Houston was and USU feels tighter than UVA.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Do you get any tweets from the BYU ticket office? I was talking to an owner of a minor league baseball team last night. They tweet at the last minute and get more people to show up. I wonder if we are doing this.
H
HoosierCougar
It will sell out

1) There were about 200 Houston fans at the 9/11 game and about 150 UVA fans at the 9/20 game. There will be 5000 Aggie fans at the 10/3 game.



2) It's the biggest in-state rivalry there is until 2016. Aggies want a chance to show BYU they can hang.



3) The conference thing... I know of at least 5 people that are planning to come in to town and hit the game rather than a reunion, then hit confernece on Sat/Sun. Based on my own personal experience (and yours may be different), the mission reunion thing is a good alternative for much of the same crowd that cannot afford tickets to the game. Those who have been home long enough to be able to afford tickets aren't ususally so locked in to the mission reunion.



I hope Chuckie is healthy (always) and plays (Friday).
S
snoscythe
If you go to BYU tickets and select the "choose your own seats" feature for the game and then scan the stadium, it looks like there's only a couple thousand (as in ~2K) seats left to sell.



It's essentially a sell-out already, with 9 days to game day.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.