Archived Topic

For the optimists

by frdbtr · 9/25/2014

Advertisement
N
NDCougar
Jerrond wrote:
NDCougar and Coug_rule, I thought this was a thread for optimists. If you have difficulties with being optimistic you can go to the Realists thread. I think BYU can go undefeated and see a NYD bowl :)


Not sure you have read any of my posts! ;)



I have said I expect BYU to go undefeated, TH in the top 10 for the Heisman and to play in a NYD bowl. I said I don't think BYU will make the CFP nor TH has a shot to win the Heisman and both would have a better shot in 2015 if we have a great year in 2014.
J
Jerrond
In that case BYU has an argument. I don't think it will happen. An SEC team is in, nearly guaranteed, it is whether they get two in. The rest of the conferences "should" have at worst a champion with one loss.



There are far fetched scenarios so keep your fingers crossed they all happen, BYU dominates the rest of their games and all the P5's crush eachother.


I still do not see any way BYU makes the playoff. The FSU argument would never fly with those in the mix. FSU DESTROYED everyone last year...



BYU can't simply win, they must destroy every team and win by 3-5 touchdowns on average and put up over 40 pts a game....beating UH and UVA by 8 does not get the media nor selection committee excited (maybe for a top 25 vote but not the CFP). If they don't no way they even get a look and they will be a victim of their schedule not playing any top 25 teams and no marque win. You can spin the numbers, but when the media sees a SEC team with a worse/similar SOS to BYU on national TV (potentially Game Day being there) beat a top 5/10 team the SEC team will always get the nod, same with PAC 12, FSU, ND, etc etc.



Fair or not, for arguments sake does anyone think BYU goes undefeated through a PAC 12, SEC, ND schedule? I don't see it, but we should be happy we have a legit shot to go undefeated, make a New Years bowl game, have a QB in the top 5-10 for Heisman and come back primed for 2015. Any talk of the CFP, in my opinion, is a fantasy......it could happen but not likely at all (I technically COULD win the lottery) and I am not sure we could compete against top 4 teams at the moment.



Agreed, that gap is closing. Last years team was pushed around by WI and ND, I think BYU closing the gap but not to that point yet. I think the defense we have major issues with a top tier offense. On offense I think we could have success if TH did not turn the ball over. In a game vs the top 4 (or even top 10) I think BYU would keep it close early and then a the other team would pull ahead in the 2H.






Not sure you have read any of my posts! ;)



I have said I expect BYU to go undefeated, TH in the top 10 for the Heisman and to play in a NYD bowl. I said I don't think BYU will make the CFP nor TH has a shot to win the Heisman and both would have a better shot in 2015 if we have a great year in 2014.[/quote]



Sorry, maybe my idea of optimism is different than yours. :blush:
N
NDCougar
Jerrond wrote:
In that case BYU has an argument. I don't think it will happen. An SEC team is in, nearly guaranteed, it is whether they get two in. The rest of the conferences "should" have at worst a champion with one loss.



There are far fetched scenarios so keep your fingers crossed they all happen, BYU dominates the rest of their games and all the P5's crush eachother.


I still do not see any way BYU makes the playoff. The FSU argument would never fly with those in the mix. FSU DESTROYED everyone last year...



BYU can't simply win, they must destroy every team and win by 3-5 touchdowns on average and put up over 40 pts a game....beating UH and UVA by 8 does not get the media nor selection committee excited (maybe for a top 25 vote but not the CFP). If they don't no way they even get a look and they will be a victim of their schedule not playing any top 25 teams and no marque win. You can spin the numbers, but when the media sees a SEC team with a worse/similar SOS to BYU on national TV (potentially Game Day being there) beat a top 5/10 team the SEC team will always get the nod, same with PAC 12, FSU, ND, etc etc.



Fair or not, for arguments sake does anyone think BYU goes undefeated through a PAC 12, SEC, ND schedule? I don't see it, but we should be happy we have a legit shot to go undefeated, make a New Years bowl game, have a QB in the top 5-10 for Heisman and come back primed for 2015. Any talk of the CFP, in my opinion, is a fantasy......it could happen but not likely at all (I technically COULD win the lottery) and I am not sure we could compete against top 4 teams at the moment.



Agreed, that gap is closing. Last years team was pushed around by WI and ND, I think BYU closing the gap but not to that point yet. I think the defense we have major issues with a top tier offense. On offense I think we could have success if TH did not turn the ball over. In a game vs the top 4 (or even top 10) I think BYU would keep it close early and then a the other team would pull ahead in the 2H.






Not sure you have read any of my posts! ;)



I have said I expect BYU to go undefeated, TH in the top 10 for the Heisman and to play in a NYD bowl. I said I don't think BYU will make the CFP nor TH has a shot to win the Heisman and both would have a better shot in 2015 if we have a great year in 2014.


Sorry, maybe my idea of optimism is different than yours. :blush:[/quote]



CFP and NYD bowl are two different things. CFP = playoff, NYD = (this year) Fiesta, Orange, Peach, Cotton Bowls......that is how it is generally defined. The playoffs are the playoffs and NYD (and eve games) bowls are bowl games. The location of the CFP rotate to the different bowls based on the year.



http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/college-football-playoff-schedule.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



You said NYD not CFP. I think we make a NYD bowl......again need to read my posts and understand the CFP vs NYD/E bowls! ;)



Not believing A LOT of factors out of BYU's control happen to make the CFP is sign of pessimism regarding BYU, as stated I think BYU wins out but they cannot control external factors (ie win/loss for P5s, sentiment, committee etc).....I am an optimist on BYU and what they can do to control the situations, ie win.
J
jvquarterback
Jerrond wrote:
NDCougar and Coug_rule, I thought this was a thread for optimists. If you have difficulties with being optimistic you can go to the Realists thread. I think BYU can go undefeated and see a NYD bowl :)


I'd say 12-0 and a NY bowl are the bare minimum of optimism at this point as the realists at ESPN think we have a 26% chance of going 12-0.



No optimism here means you believe every P5 team will have 2-3 losses and BYU makes it in the CFP.
N
NDCougar
jvquarterback wrote:
NDCougar and Coug_rule, I thought this was a thread for optimists. If you have difficulties with being optimistic you can go to the Realists thread. I think BYU can go undefeated and see a NYD bowl :)


I'd say 12-0 and a NY bowl are the bare minimum of optimism at this point as the realists at ESPN think we have a 26% chance of going 12-0.



No optimism here means you believe every P5 team will have 2-3 losses and BYU makes it in the CFP.


Optimism here means you "know" will BYU win out, they go to the CFP and win the NC, TH wins the Heisman, TH is the top pick in the NFL draft.......anything less is a "realist".
Page 2 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.