Archived Topic

Friendly Reminder

by Gunk · 9/20/2014

Advertisement
G
Gunk
Folks, as a member of the Cougar Corner Leadership Council, I just wanted to remind everyone to keep conversations civil. Discussing BYU sports is what this forum is all about, but please do so in a manner that would make all feel welcomed here.



There's a legit chance we could have a special football season this year, which will likely inspire new individuals to chime in on the conversation. Let's be sure to respect their opinions no matter how much we may disagree.



There shouldn't be any sort of initiation process where we size one another up and require newcomers to prove their mettle. Challenging new posters' views right off the bat discourages would-be posters and makes them hesitant to participate in fear of invoking the ire of someone or having to engage in a round of posts and replies to defend their honor.



We're all fans here. Generally, there's a lot more in common with us all than what separates us. Let's make sure all participating feel that. Here are a few things the Leadership Council and Mods watch for:



1) Name calling

2) Excessive back and forths between posters arguing to the point where it dominates/hijacks a thread

3) Shaming, whether that be directly (see #1) or challenging a user's opinion in demeaning ways (ie. "That's the dumbest idea I've heard, you must be a Ute")

4) Challenging peoples' fandom (if you're on the forum, odds are you're a BYU fan)



Not saying everyone needs to go PC, just a gentle reminder to keep it civil. Often what we write can be misinterpreted. Tones and mannerisms don't really come across in text - so while you may think you're just joking around, the receiver may not actually be picking up what you're putting down.



Happy chatting everyone. Go Cougs!
C
Cougarbib
Interestingly, Gunk, a recent post by Blue is Better calling me a name and telling another poster that I like to especially pick on new posters like him, got a thumbs up from you and when I flagged the name calling, nothing was done about it.



Irony upon irony, then that poster had to point out to you gentlemen that he us not new at all.



So what is up with that?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
Cougarbib wrote:
Interestingly, Gunk, a recent post by Blue is Better calling me a name and telling another poster that I like to especially pick on new posters like him, got a thumbs up from you and when I flagged the name calling, nothing was done about it.



Irony upon irony, then that poster had to point out to you gentlemen that he us not new at all.



So what is up with that?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Fair point. Certainly not saying I'm perfect. The reminder is as much for me as it is for everyone else.



In regards to Blue's post, I admit I thought it was funny. If he had my name in there, I would have +1'ed it too - was just a funny image in my head. I'm sure Blue could come up with some clever metaphors about me too. In looking back at the post, I can see how the comparison could be interrupted as name calling. I didn't see any complaints. Feel free to PM me, a MOD, or another Council member with such issues.



There's been some lively exchanges lately, so I thought it good to post a reminder.



While the not-so-new poster turned out to be not so new, it did get us thinking that we could do a better job of making people feel welcomed here.
C
Cougarbib
I had thought about replying that even a blind squirrel and a stubborn mule should know that he was not new, but thought better of it, so I won't do that here either. ;)



But seriously, I know that the mods are busy, but read that thread from OP, down to the uncalled for post that Blue Is Better made that you were entertained by, and if you find even one slightly offensive or inappropriate comment from me, let me know what it was, because there is not one. Not one.



Not sure why you did not see the complaint. I clicked the icon provided to report posts that comment without adding anything related to the topic, name calling, etc., and got a report closed email, no explanation, and a message to PM some guy named Hawking if I had any questions.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Mongo is confused.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Bib, doesn't human skin get thicker as it gets older? Actually, as I think about it, it does get thinner and more brittle, doesn't it. Look friend, I had your back on the PoVey defense, but I also committed CC sin in disparaging the dude who probably has me on ignore anyway. I confess, I've certainly bashed you in past years as well As bantered. Its been fun.

Don't get so blue about Blue. You are jeopardizing your man- card, let alone your CC card. Look, my friend, I have some news for you, as they say in the military, you are a target rich environment. I probably am too. But can you take this private conversation to PM status, bc I can't stand to see a grown man cry, especially over a guy named blue. ;-) jk and having fun.

ITS GAME DAY FELLAS. GO COUGS! 28-10 BYU
G
Guest
I didn't, and still don't consider being called a yappy chiuaua an insult. Certainly not to the level of breaking our rules. But it is against the rules to badger posters new or old, which everyone agrees with was happening on the other thread. That needs to stop. Not everyone needs to agree.



Perhaps we need to define the fact that you can't comment more than 2 or 3 times disagreeing with another poster in the same topic since the constant back and forth is costing us great posters who become sick of it and leave.
D
Ddawg
hawkwing wrote:

Perhaps we need to define the fact that you can't comment more than 2 or 3 times disagreeing with another poster in the same topic since the constant back and forth is costing us great posters who become sick of it and leave.


That's probably an idea worth exploring. And yes, folks do get tired of the "shark tank" and quit CC.
B
Brayden Green
hawkwing wrote:
I didn't, and still don't consider being called a yappy chiuaua an insult. Certainly not to the level of breaking our rules. But it is against the rules to badger posters new or old, which everyone agrees with was happening on the other thread. That needs to stop. Not everyone needs to agree.



Perhaps we need to define the fact that you can't comment more than 2 or 3 times disagreeing with another poster in the same topic since the constant back and forth is costing us great posters who become sick of it and leave.


You all know how I feel about Bib chasing off really good posters in the past, like he was staking get his territory or something. It is a main reason why i think the post count needs to go, because it causes - I think - a sense of entitlement to those that post frequently, and it also must feel weird to get on a board and create a new id, and then some random guy with a bazillion posts latches on to you or an idea of yours and won't let go. If you chase off the newcomers how is something supposed to grow? It can't, won't (and possibly hasn't?). This is a great community of people with different ideas and suggestions. I would like to see it grow tremensously.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Hawk. Can you give my post count to Blue since he thinks it is important. I will not miss it since I never look at it and h Ave no Idea what it is. Small minds worry about what their or anyone else has for a post count.



You need to enforce whatever rules you have consistently. That costs you posters.



Blue is Better costs you posters. Notice that I quit calling him Blue is Bitter in response to your previous request for a kinder, gentler CC. Note that I did not hijack a thread making a comment having nothing to do with that thread. That is a violation of one of your inconsistently enforced rules. You did not respond to that issue Hawk. So now your posters do not know what you will and will not enforce depending on who does it and who they do it to. You have still not addressed who I attacked or called a name even though I got a PM FROM GUNK accusing me of attacking a new poster who is not new. Now I am in the dog house because you wish you had a rule about how many times you can disagree in one thread. bwell, It takes Two Posters To Disagree Too Many Times ANZ Both SHOuld Get A pm. It is your site. I try to abide by the ever changing and inconsistently enforced rules.



Notice that I did not try to further hijack that thread by introducing Blue as the Proprietor of The CC Sour Grapes and Bitter Lemonade Stand. I thought that might violate a rule. Not sure now.



You might want a rule limiting how many times a poster can bash the same DB they are obsessed with or OC they are obsessed with and I will post far less. You lose a lot of posters that hate the constant player and coach bashing especially when unfounded.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
My posting count is not very high, but once it is higher, I will be entitled to having what I say matter more.



That said, written communication does two things in forums like these (1) it creates anonymity, which tends to begat (2) more ahem "lackadaisicality" with one's behavior. C'mon world, be normal and decent in every context, online like this, and offline with everyday behavior. That's all I really have to add.



And that I like BYU football a lot. So there. Fight MEEEE!!!!
D
DeVon
Just for the record, I (you know, the guy you all keep calling the not so new poster) was not offended by bib's "badgering". I have been here a while and usually don't post a ton but when I do I can take care of myself. No need to tell the teacher on account of me. ;)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.