Archived Topic

End of Regular Season Coaches Poll results

by hawkwing · 12/10/2009

Advertisement
K
kiwibacon
Some very interesting insights into some of the coaching picks. One oddball example: Gary Anderson, former UofU defense coordinator now Utah State HC, has UofU unranked in his poll but does have Middle Tennessee State in at #25. :skeptic: At least he voted BYU in at 11.



There are many irregularities out there. One reason why AP should be used and not coaches. Ignorant question...Why did they stop using the AP for the BCS? I have forgotten. Sure is a head scratcher why they think the Coaches poll is acceptable and has no bias.
W
wazzucoug97
So Wazzu's coach has us at 23rd..... someone fire that guy ;)
W
wazzucoug97
kiwibacon wrote:
Some very interesting insights into some of the coaching picks. One oddball example: Gary Anderson, former UofU defense coordinator now Utah State HC, has UofU unranked in his poll but does have Middle Tennessee State in at #25. :skeptic: At least he voted BYU in at 11.





There are many irregularities out there. One reason why AP should be used and not coaches. Ignorant question...Why did they stop using the AP for the BCS? I have forgotten. Sure is a head scratcher why they think the Coaches poll is acceptable and has no bias.


IIRC.... the AP didn't like that their poll was used in the BCS formula without their consent and asked to have it pulled from the formula. I agree with you that the AP would probably be a more level measurement.
E
EM_Puma
Wow! Gary Anderson didn't rank the Utes in the Top 25, but had Troy and Central Michigan? Isn't that interesting?
Advertisement
K
kiwibacon
EM_Puma wrote:
Wow! Gary Anderson didn't rank the Utes in the Top 25, but had Troy and MIddle TN? Isn't that interesting?

Is there some bad blood? Really I am naive on this one. I didn't look where he has Boise, is he maybe playing the part of a conference homer? That one really just stood out on a "local" level considering the three schools in the state of Utah.



EDIT---Ok, yeah maybe he is being a conference homer considering he put BSU at #3 and TCU at #4 but still to not rank Utah???...and to have BYU higher than most other voters? Is he a closet Cougar fan? 8)
M
mormonrasta
I'm glad to see progress being made by nonBCS teams in the vote. I don't think there is a question of if a nonBCS team plays for the championship, but when. It's all the more important that the TCU-BSU game is successful (no empty seats and decent ratings) to show the college football world that a nonBCS team can carry a big game
G
Guest
mormonrasta wrote:
I'm glad to see progress being made by nonBCS teams in the vote. I don't think there is a question of if a nonBCS team plays for the championship, but when. It's all the more important that the TCU-BSU game is successful (no empty seats and decent ratings) to show the college football world that a nonBCS team can carry a big game


That's pretty sad that butts in the seat do determine a national championship.
E
EM_Puma
Now you want to talk about someone "like unto Bronco" that really has integrity--BSU's Chris Petersen. The guy goes out and lists TCU one spot above his team. That's incredible. I knew I liked that guy and I have ever since I sent him an email and he actually answered. This was before he was head coach, but classy guy just the same.



What can you say about Gary Patterson putting 8-5 Clemson as #25 in his poll or UNC's Butch Davis being the only person to give his team any votes. Mike Leach put his TT team at #20? Yea, this poll is a valid reflection on reality.
M
Mars


Air Force's head coach, Troy Calhoun, voted Alabama #1, FLORIDA #2, and TCU #4... :bug:
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Mars wrote:


Air Force's head coach, Troy Calhoun, voted Alabama #1, FLORIDA #2, and TCU #4... :bug:


Well, his five-loss Falcons did play them to within a single score. Maybe he sees something that we don't.
M
mormonrasta
hawkwing wrote:
I'm glad to see progress being made by nonBCS teams in the vote. I don't think there is a question of if a nonBCS team plays for the championship, but when. It's all the more important that the TCU-BSU game is successful (no empty seats and decent ratings) to show the college football world that a nonBCS team can carry a big game


That's pretty sad that butts in the seat do determine a national championship.


That's true.
E
EM_Puma
Schmoe wrote:


Air Force's head coach, Troy Calhoun, voted Alabama #1, FLORIDA #2, and TCU #4... :bug:


Well, his five-loss Falcons did play them to within a single score. Maybe he sees something that we don't.


You have to question the sanity of anyone that puts

#1 Alabama

#2 Florida



Did he not seen the game or at least the score?
S
Schmoe
EM_Puma wrote:
Mars wrote:


Air Force's head coach, Troy Calhoun, voted Alabama #1, FLORIDA #2, and TCU #4... :bug:


Well, his five-loss Falcons did play them to within a single score. Maybe he sees something that we don't.


You have to question the sanity of anyone that puts

#1 Alabama

#2 Florida



Did he not seen the game or at least the score?


True dat.
S
SpiffCoug
Non-AQ teams should vote as a block. I'll say it again, there should have been 25 first place votes distributed between TCU and Boise St by non-AQ coaches. That's where the real change in the BCS will come.
Advertisement
U
UVACoug
If they're going to manipulate the polls, why be so timid about it. Everyone knows that Clemson has no business at #25. Why not just be bold and put them in the top 10? That's going to help you out more than 25. Why take the thing seriously when everyone knows its a joke anyways? Sure you will probably lose your vote next time its your turn, but is a coached poll vote really that important?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.