Archived Topic

Assignment v. Discipline

by BoiseBYU · 9/12/2014

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Something that is a trademark of Bronco's teams is playing assignment oriented football. In fact, often it is the assignment oriented player who trumps the "more athletic" player in terms of playing team, at least so it seems to me. Assignment football suggests a concentration and discipline and that is the irony, because it is not a disciplined team that, week in and week out commits double digit penalties, a number of them of the personal foul variety. It is not a discipline team that is trying to show how mean they are than just playing hard and aggressive. But right now that is this team. They have done very well so far, but at some point the lack of discipline will come back to bite in a very hard way.
M
Mars


Speaking of which, after the game Dallin Leavitt mentioned how nice it is to play with guys like Craig Bills and Skye PoVey, because they are such good, vocal team leaders on the field, helping the other guys get into the right alignments.
S
SpiffCoug
Actually, so far the only player who hasn't seemed to learn discipline is #56 Tejan Koroma. He's had a couple of 15-yard penalties. I'm not sure we've had any other repeat offenders.
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
Actually, so far the only player who hasn't seemed to learn discipline is #56 Tejan Koroma. He's had a couple of 15-yard penalties. I'm not sure we've had any other repeat offenders.

Fua has had his share too methinks.
S
SpiffCoug
BoiseBYU wrote:
Actually, so far the only player who hasn't seemed to learn discipline is #56 Tejan Koroma. He's had a couple of 15-yard penalties. I'm not sure we've had any other repeat offenders.

Fua has had his share too methinks.

Has Fua had any mental penalties or lack of discipline penalties since his two in the first game? He was/is a repeat offender, but his play the last two game seems to imply that he's put them behind him.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Actually, so far the only player who hasn't seemed to learn discipline is #56 Tejan Koroma. He's had a couple of 15-yard penalties. I'm not sure we've had any other repeat offenders.

Fua has had his share too methinks.

Has Fua had any mental penalties or lack of discipline penalties since his two in the first game? He was/is a repeat offender, but his play the last two game seems to imply that he's put them behind him.

I may be losing my marbles, but I thought he got a 15 yarder in the UH game....
S
SpiffCoug
I know he was involved in the "late" hit on O'Korn, but I thought Fua was the one who tackled him and it was Pikula who came in "late." But there might have been a separate incident w/ Fua. Which play are you thinking of?
B
beauso79
SpiffCoug wrote:
I know he was involved in the "late" hit on O'Korn, but I thought Fua was the one who tackled him and it was Pikula who came in "late." But there might have been a separate incident w/ Fua. Which play are you thinking of?


There was a separate incident. This one happened behind the line of scrimmage and Fua came in late and tried to take O'Korn's head off after he was already wrapped up and on the ground. It was a dumb, late hit..
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
Actually, so far the only player who hasn't seemed to learn discipline is #56 Tejan Koroma. He's had a couple of 15-yard penalties. I'm not sure we've had any other repeat offenders.

Stringham.

Mathews.

Fua.
R
Raiderboy
beauso79 wrote:
I know he was involved in the "late" hit on O'Korn, but I thought Fua was the one who tackled him and it was Pikula who came in "late." But there might have been a separate incident w/ Fua. Which play are you thinking of?


There was a separate incident. This one happened behind the line of scrimmage and Fua came in late and tried to take O'Korn's head off after he was already wrapped up and on the ground. It was a dumb, late hit..


I disagree. Fua was coming in at chest level and it just looked bad because the other BYU player hit O'korn from behind and down and into Fua. It was a bang bang play where the other player hit him a split second before Fua got there. He couldn't have anticipated that they would impact that way. And couldn't have reacted fast enough to just allow the other player to get the sack. I see why they called it a penalty, I just know that penalties are nothing more than bad luck sometimes.



There was that completely bogus penalty on Koroma, and another where our guy was airborn when O'Korn was tackled and barely grazed him.



I don't think it's fair to fault BYU for some of these when a lot of the calls this year have just been downright wrong. I think BYU has been jobbed on penalties all 3 games so far.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.