Archived Topic

Two Calls Have My Head Scratching

by BoiseBYU · 9/12/2014

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
Koroma's ejection....unbelievably horrid call.

On the Hail Mary pass Peck was held so out in the open I could not believe there was no call.



I'm not saying the refs were biased and there were not bad calls the other way, but man those two were in my mind realy doozies....
T
tmoney35
I feel like on last second hail mary's there is an understanding among all refs that no penalties will be called. Not saying its right, but that's how it is.



I'm more curious as to why we didn't have more defenders back in the endzone on an obvious hail mary play
B
byufan4ever
BoiseBYU wrote:
Koroma's ejection....unbelievably horrid call.

On the Hail Mary pass Peck was held so out in the open I could not believe there was no call.



I'm not saying the refs were biased and there were not bad calls the other way, but man those two were in my mind realy doozies....


I was furious about the no call on the hail mary holding! Koroma ejection was weak.
A
a1247
My question is if a player is ejected from a game could that player also face possibly not being able to play the following week? I know when a player is ejected for the targeting penalty he also has to sit out the first half of the following game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
a1247 wrote:
My question is if a player is ejected from a game could that player also face possibly not being able to play the following week? I know when a player is ejected for the targeting penalty he also has to sit out the first half of the following game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


They'll review it, but since it was in the second half of the game, it would mean that he'll miss the first half of the Virginia game if it's upheld after review.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
a1247 wrote:
My question is if a player is ejected from a game could that player also face possibly not being able to play the following week? I know when a player is ejected for the targeting penalty he also has to sit out the first half of the following game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yes. As it stands now, he has to sit the 1st half vs Virginia since the ejection too place in the 2nd half. BYU will appeal the call, but if the ejection stands, he has to sit the first half next week.



He is our only true center and the OL does seem to drop a notch when he is out - other than when he makes rookie mistakes like blocking down field on a passing play.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
Cougarbib wrote:
My question is if a player is ejected from a game could that player also face possibly not being able to play the following week? I know when a player is ejected for the targeting penalty he also has to sit out the first half of the following game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yes. As it stands now, he has to sit the 1st half vs Virginia since the ejection too place in the 2nd half. BYU will appeal the call, but if the ejection stands, he has to sit the first half next week.



He is our only true center and the OL does seem to drop a notch when he is out - other than when he makes rookie mistakes like blocking down field on a passing play.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Listening to coaches Edwards and McBride today on the radio, and they thought the down field blocking calls were wrong. Apparently the rule is different if you are engaged in a block.
M
mizzoucoug
tmoney35 wrote:
I feel like on last second hail mary's there is an understanding among all refs that no penalties will be called. Not saying its right, but that's how it is.



I'm more curious as to why we didn't have more defenders back in the endzone on an obvious hail mary play


I'm curious as to why we didn't pressure O'Korn on the hail mary. I don't understand why nobody ever does this? Is a defense actually better off giving the O a chance to catch a long bomb in the endzone as opposed to making them get a YAC score from 20 or 30 yards out? I just don't accept that. I knew that lucky TD was coming just based on momentum and the stupidity of the defensive play calls up to that point in the game--and the fact that we just can't seem to ever put UofH away. So as soon as I saw us rushing 3 I knew there was trouble.



Send 5 and he rushes a throw for maybe 15 yards and that's the half. smh
B
BoiseBYU
BoiseBYU wrote:
Koroma's ejection....unbelievably horrid call.

On the Hail Mary pass Peck was held so out in the open I could not believe there was no call.



I'm not saying the refs were biased and there were not bad calls the other way, but man those two were in my mind realy doozies....


More head scratching--they kick Koroma out for waving his arms in space but do nothing when Matthews and the UH CB were swinging at each other and connecting....so weird....I did not see well the offensive PI called against UH that negated a TD, but that did not look like a penalty from what I could see on ESPN....
S
stuckinbig10country
BoiseBYU wrote:
Koroma's ejection....unbelievably horrid call.

On the Hail Mary pass Peck was held so out in the open I could not believe there was no call.



I'm not saying the refs were biased and there were not bad calls the other way, but man those two were in my mind realy doozies....


More head scratching--they kick Koroma out for waving his arms in space but do nothing when Matthews and the UH CB were swinging at each other and connecting....so weird....I did not see the offensive PI called against UH that negated a TD, but that did not look like a penalty from what I could see on ESPN....


The OPI call was clearly interference, but it's only called 1 out of 10 times.
Advertisement
M
Mars


Mitch is a hot-head. I don't like it. He's not in control of his emotions.



He said that Guy Holliday teaches his receivers to never back down, but that doesn't excuse multiple dumb penalties in multiple games now.



Mathews did say that Taysom yelled at him during the game, which helped him cool down a bit.
R
runbyu1
I'm still scratching my head about the multiple ineligible receivers downfield call. What on earth was that about??? Who calls that?
M
Mingjai
runbyu1 wrote:
I'm still scratching my head about the multiple ineligible receivers downfield call. What on earth was that about??? Who calls that?


I just read on article on that last week--with all the packaged plays being run by BYU and others, linemen are getting downfield by design. It getting to a point where either refs are going to have to start making the call or the rules committee will need to revisit the rule.



Here's the article:



http://smartfootball.com/offense/downfield-passes-as-the-pitch-phase-of-the-read-option-as-run-by-russell-wilson-gus-malzahn-and-many-many-others



The concept of packaged plays is as important to understanding BYU's current offense as the concept of the West Coast offense is to understanding the 80s and 90s BYU offense. Here are a couple of good overviews on packaged by the author of the article I linked to above:



http://grantland.com/features/packaged-plays-rethinking-concept-modern-play-calling/



http://grantland.com/the-triangle/packaged-plays-and-the-newest-form-of-option-football/
S
SpiffCoug
I believe Koroma was the ineligible man down field on one play. I think that was his 2nd one this year. I think that's mainly a factor of youth and getting downfield too soon for blocking.
S
snoscythe
SpiffCoug wrote:
I believe Koroma was the ineligible man down field on one play. I think that was his 2nd one this year. I think that's mainly a factor of youth and getting downfield too soon for blocking.


As well as the QB holding onto the ball too long.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
The officials set the tone of incompetence from the opening kickoff, where they started the play clock with the ESPN guy still on the field and the official stood over the ball until there were only four seconds left, automatically giving us a delay of game. Just a really poor crew last night, not biased, just poor.
R
Raiderboy
First Houston TD was only after we stopped them on 3rd down, and they called a late hit where our guy was already airborne and barely grazed O'Korn on the way down. Second TD was the Hail Mary with a missed hold. Third TD was a missed offensive PI where their receiver arm barred our DB with the ball in the air. That drive was also aided by the phantom Koroma penalty. The officiating greatly affected the score.



And it was the same but not quite as bad in the UConn and Texas games too.
C
Cougarbib
It was as if the officials received a phone call right about 3 minutes left in the half from the AAC or from ESPN saying 1 of 2 things:



1. Hey, these guys are embarrassing our conference. Make this score respectable.



Or



2. Viewers are falling asleep because Houston is making this look to easy even for BYU fans to enjoy. This will kill advertising ratings data. Tighten this thing up and create some drama.



I was at the gsme, and thus have no access to replay until I go back to California in 9 days. But I swear that Houston receivers bump shoved two BYU defenders out of the play just as the ball was launched. Anyone else see that?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
Cougarbib wrote:
It was as if the officials received a phone call right about 3 minutes left in the half from the AAC or from ESPN saying 1 of 2 things:



1. Hey, these guys are embarrassing our conference. Make this score respectable.



Or



2. Viewers are falling asleep because Houston is making this look to easy even for BYU fans to enjoy. This will kill advertising ratings data. Tighten this thing up and create some drama.



I was at the gsme, and thus have no access to replay until I go back to California in 9 days. But I swear that Houston receivers bump shoved two BYU defenders out of the play just as the ball was launched. Anyone else see that?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The Hail Mary happened right in front of where I was sitting 14 rows up. The Houston receivers did exactly what they should have done in that situation. The BYU defensive backs didn't. As simple as that. Go Cougars!
F
frdbtr
Wolverine wrote:
It was as if the officials received a phone call right about 3 minutes left in the half from the AAC or from ESPN saying 1 of 2 things:



1. Hey, these guys are embarrassing our conference. Make this score respectable.



Or



2. Viewers are falling asleep because Houston is making this look to easy even for BYU fans to enjoy. This will kill advertising ratings data. Tighten this thing up and create some drama.



I was at the gsme, and thus have no access to replay until I go back to California in 9 days. But I swear that Houston receivers bump shoved two BYU defenders out of the play just as the ball was launched. Anyone else see that?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The Hail Mary happened right in front of where I was sitting 14 rows up. The Houston receivers did exactly what they should have done in that situation. The BYU defensive backs didn't. As simple as that. Go Cougars!


That was the way I saw it. The Houston receiver was standing on the goal line all alone, Robertson Daniel and Craig bills were both about 2 yards away from him, right before the ball got to the receiver, Daniels went up and tried to strip the ball away but was too late. If one of them had just gone up and blocked him out like on a rebound in basketball, there would have not been a TD. It was just simply poor defense.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.