Archived Topic

Solid, but unspectacular win.

by stuckinbig10country · 9/12/2014

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
We scored the first 23 points.



Only gave up 325 yards.



Only 10 yards rushing.



Only gave up 1 long TD drive (68 yards).



The major deficiencies were the TOs and a fake punt by a rogue kicker.



Bronco gets the benefit of a win and the feeling of a loss. Great teaching opportunity for the next 9 days.



Pretty ok for a short week and key injuried.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
And other than a weird 3 minutes at the end of the first half, this isn't even close.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
U
UCChris
I think the title sums it up perfectly. It was a solid win stats-wise (anyone else think the D is really, really good this year?) but it was, like you said, unspectacular. I think, in order to keep national attention and for Hill to continue getting the exposure he deserves, BYU can't grind out wins. They've gotta be just a bit spectacular.
C
Cougarfan87
UCChris wrote:
I think the title sums it up perfectly. It was a solid win stats-wise (anyone else think the D is really, really good this year?) but it was, like you said, unspectacular. I think, in order to keep national attention and for Hill to continue getting the exposure he deserves, BYU can't grind out wins. They've gotta be just a bit spectacular.


That's my biggest concern for the game. BYU started out the game on the way to take advantage of the big stage...but then let it slip away. When people are questioning your strength of schedule, the best thing you can do (since you can't change your schedule during the season) is blow all of your opponents off the map. We did so in week one and two, but missed the opportunity this week in front of a national audience. If there is a silver lining (besides being undefeated) it is that perhaps Houston will get some confidence from this game, go on to play a better season, and increase our strength of schedule. But I still consider it a missed opportunity, though I am grateful for the win.
E
EM_Puma
Yes, solid win, but nothing spectacular. You take games like this. It's when you get up by 23 and end up having to run the ball out to keep it out of the hands of our opponent so he can't go down the field and tie the game that leaves this empty feeling I have this morning. Maybe it's just a lack of sleep.



I'm not a defensive guru by any means, but how is it not obvious to our DC that on that last play of the half you have to come at the QB. You know he has the arm to make the end zone, so you have to come at him quick--not go to a dime package and with only 3 players rushing, give O'Korn all the time in the world to throw a Hail Mary. The given items in the play were that there was no doubt from where he was he could easily hit the end zone. Then why let him? I simply don't understand how the best defense on that play is to have more people in the end zone. BYU a la Miracle Bowl should know this "eternal" truth. I believe you attack the QB and not let him just sit back and hurl.



While I'm talking about the obscure, in the second half, Houston kicked off after scoring. It was the only time we didn't try a run back. The ball scooted across the ground before entering the end zone. BYU opted to not take the ball out, but never touched it. The ball stopped in the end zone and never went out of bounds. Officials called a touch back. Isn't the ball still live unless a BYU player takes it and takes a knee or the ball goes out of the end zone? From what I took from the way the play was handled was that a ball being kicked off that hits the field before the end zone and travels into the end zone is no longer a live ball and cannot be recovered by the defense. I had always thought the ball was live unless downed or it went out of bounds/end zone.
Advertisement
N
NDCougar
EM_Puma wrote:
Yes, solid win, but nothing spectacular. You take games like this. It's when you get up by 23 and end up having to run the ball out to keep it out of the hands of our opponent so he can't go down the field and tie the game that leaves this empty feeling I have this morning. Maybe it's just a lack of sleep.




My exact thoughts. For the national media who only look at the score, this is not an impressive win. To make things worse, imagine if UH could make and extra point or kick a field goal consistently, that would have been another 5 points on the score board.



I know I am playing "what ifs" but what if UH made the field goal and extra points and actually blocked and did not give up the safety? That makes the score 31-30. I know, I know the game would have played out differently if these things happened, but it is scary to think how close on the scoreboard it was. We crushed them in the stats column and need to put guys like this away, UH is a bad team and we should have won easily.



As for being tired, not sure where you are but I am on the east coast and I was up at 530 am ET to get to meetings after watching a game that ended after midnight. So I hear ya.
C
Cougs_Rule
Sloppy and unspectacular win. Too many mental mistakes--by players and coaches. Coaches finally figures out that OKorn was carving the Ds turkey when they gave him six seconds to find a receiver. Just stupid to not take a TO and prep for that Hail Mary--espcially given BYU hadn't used even one TO the first half.

Juergens not getting out of bounds in a hurry up situation at end of h1--stupid lead to TO, led to more stupid, and all of a sudden the game is back on.

I don't think one quarter of solid play can label this a Solid win. The D was solid and could be very good. But every team just saw how to beat BYU. Create TOs and spread the field and pass. TExas didn't-got whooped. UCONN tried, but didn't have the horses.

I hope this team came off their high horse and learns you don't take foot off gas until Q3 and only if they are doing great. But, short week, and a well planned scheme by UH on O and glad we got the W. Regroup, rest, and get mentally tougher for VA.
S
Stirfry
EM_Puma wrote:
While I'm talking about the obscure, in the second half, Houston kicked off after scoring. It was the only time we didn't try a run back. The ball scooted across the ground before entering the end zone. BYU opted to not take the ball out, but never touched it. The ball stopped in the end zone and never went out of bounds. Officials called a touch back. Isn't the ball still live unless a BYU player takes it and takes a knee or the ball goes out of the end zone? From what I took from the way the play was handled was that a ball being kicked off that hits the field before the end zone and travels into the end zone is no longer a live ball and cannot be recovered by the defense. I had always thought the ball was live unless downed or it went out of bounds/end zone.


We wondered the same thing. Also, is it a live ball when it hits the upright and comes back in the field of play? Our guy picked up the failed extra point and didn't attempt to advance it. I thought maybe you could run that back for 2 or something.



I'm not to nervous due to this being on a short week after an emotional win but that 2nd half was a disappointment. Like ND said, if they can kick this is a totally different game. Also, if they could catch this is a really different game as they had multiple passes go right through their hands that would have been big plays for them.



It was too bad to see Blackmon's TD get called back. Wasn't that his first BYU reception?
S
SpiffCoug
Maybe this type of win takes BYU out of the spotlight for a few weeks. It lets the hype die down a little bit.



Bronco during his coaches show (?) said that the team has humble swagger. Maybe this sloppy win, adds a little more humility and takes away a little of that swagger. Just need to help find that balance.
S
Schmoe
I like it. Turn off the hype machine, get our guys eyes off of ESPN and back into their playbooks, and understand that any game this season could be a battle.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Good points. BYU doesn't need swagger, they need "EXECUTION"-- minimal mental errors would have made this game the blow out it could have been.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.