J
jacksonmanHill is a once in a decade athlete, if not more, and I really enjoy watching him play against Texas and other Teams that can't tackle. He has a great burst and can shed tackles unlike any BYU QB ever.
That being said, he is a below average throwing QB. Not quite to the Heaps/Nelson level, but definitely much worse than Beck/Hall. His running ability should open up all types of passing opportunities, and it often does. But I have noticed the following tendencies:
1) He waits until a receiver is open to throw the ball after the last move is made instead of anticipating the route, reading the defense, and throwing it to the spot that the WR will be open. This results in plays taking too long to develop, the pocket collapsing and Hill falling back to running.
2) When receivers are open, he tends to greatly under-throw them instead of hitting them in stride.
3) He doesn't seem to trust his receivers Maybe they aren't open. But he tucks and runs way too much on called pass plays.
4) He doesn't throw down-field enough and instead of trusting our big WR on a mismatch and giving them a chance, he quickly checks down to the RB.
He is tough as nails and is an incredible runner. I think if BYU just accepts that he doesn't throw well, and design an offense that is mostly run with the occasional throw to mix things up, I think we can win out, without dominating, by wearing teams down and dominating the clock.
I wish he could throw close to the level of Hall/Beck. I hope BYU one day returns to a throwing offense (personal bias). Maybe this is just one bad game, but I saw the same tendencies in the other games. We can look at his PER, but for me it is more the eye ball test. He just doesn't seem to command respect when he drops back to pass and he seems to take too long to make a decision and get rid of the ball.
Still hoping for improvement and a perfect season with a New Year's bowl! But I don't think after this game there is anyway we can play into the final 4 without all but 3 teams losing at least 2 games. Hope I am wrong!
That being said, he is a below average throwing QB. Not quite to the Heaps/Nelson level, but definitely much worse than Beck/Hall. His running ability should open up all types of passing opportunities, and it often does. But I have noticed the following tendencies:
1) He waits until a receiver is open to throw the ball after the last move is made instead of anticipating the route, reading the defense, and throwing it to the spot that the WR will be open. This results in plays taking too long to develop, the pocket collapsing and Hill falling back to running.
2) When receivers are open, he tends to greatly under-throw them instead of hitting them in stride.
3) He doesn't seem to trust his receivers Maybe they aren't open. But he tucks and runs way too much on called pass plays.
4) He doesn't throw down-field enough and instead of trusting our big WR on a mismatch and giving them a chance, he quickly checks down to the RB.
He is tough as nails and is an incredible runner. I think if BYU just accepts that he doesn't throw well, and design an offense that is mostly run with the occasional throw to mix things up, I think we can win out, without dominating, by wearing teams down and dominating the clock.
I wish he could throw close to the level of Hall/Beck. I hope BYU one day returns to a throwing offense (personal bias). Maybe this is just one bad game, but I saw the same tendencies in the other games. We can look at his PER, but for me it is more the eye ball test. He just doesn't seem to command respect when he drops back to pass and he seems to take too long to make a decision and get rid of the ball.
Still hoping for improvement and a perfect season with a New Year's bowl! But I don't think after this game there is anyway we can play into the final 4 without all but 3 teams losing at least 2 games. Hope I am wrong!

