Archived Topic

Once in a generation player

by frdbtr · 9/10/2014

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Well guys, I am going to the Houston game. Got my tickets last night. Not sure how good of seats they are but I don't care, I just want to be in the stadium and see Taysom Hill do his work. I have a feeling this will be the last year we see him in a BYU uniform so I wanted to see him live. My advice to anyone who is wondering if they should get tickets this year is to do it. We may not get another like him for another 30 years (Steve young being the last) if not ever. If his current level of play holds up for the rest of the year, we will be seeing him go in the top 5 of the NFL draft next year.
C
Cougarbib
There is a lot of football left to be played before you jump to all of those conclusions. But, if he has a huge season, some will still vet that he has hardly been tested due to SOS. Undefeated. Huge New Years Bowl WIN. Heisman. Then maybe he would get drafted that high.



He would most likely be better served to come back in 2015 as a leading candidate for The Heisman Trophy and then show what he can do Vs the 2015 schedule. With so many players coming back, 2015 would be a playoff team if they run the table.
C
Cougarbib
PS



I agree with Ford Beater - get your tickets. This will be a fun team to watch.
C
Cougs_Rule
While I agree with most all of what you have written, ESPECIALLY that fans ought to treat this like his last year and get out and enjoy every minute, i dont know that he makes top five in draft. This will be a loaded draft with QBs and there are some who have established themselves ahead of THill. Now if he Keeps Jimmer-ing teams and like he has and gets an invite to NYC, then he will still go high in draft.

But take in every chance to see superman? Yep.
W
Wolverine
frdbtr wrote:
Well guys, I am going to the Houston game. Got my tickets last night. Not sure how good of seats they are but I don't care, I just want to be in the stadium and see Taysom Hill do his work. I have a feeling this will be the last year we see him in a BYU uniform so I wanted to see him live. My advice to anyone who is wondering if they should get tickets this year is to do it. We may not get another like him for another 30 years (Steve young being the last) if not ever. If his current level of play holds up for the rest of the year, we will be seeing him go in the top 5 of the NFL draft next year.

You are so right (amazingly talented player) and yet I hope you are so wrong (leaving early). I have my season tickets and look forward to making the 3.5 hour drive south for every home game this year. If ever there was a schedule to generate Taysom-mania, the 2015 schedule would be the one. @Nebraska, @UCLA, and @ Michigan all in the month of September has the potential to set the table for a truly wild ride for Taysom. Imagine continuing on the trend he has started these first 2 games, and then having Texas like games at the 3 above mentioned venues to start next year. It would be off the charts Taysom-mania. For now, I just hope it continues tomorrow night and one game at a time for the rest of this season. Go Cougars!
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Taysom Hill's Career stats are already better than Jake Lockers and Locker went #8 in the draft. Hill could have been drafted had he put his name in the draft last year. If he holds up with 65+% completion along with his running, he will be a top 5 draft pick next year.
G
Gunk
frdbtr wrote:
Taysom Hill's Career stats are already better than Jake Lockers and Locker went #8 in the draft. Hill could have been drafted had he put his name in the draft last year. If he holds up with 65+% completion along with his running, he will be a top 5 draft pick next year.

Not taking anything away from Hill, but Locker was playing against the likes of Oregon, USC, and Stanford every year. That's something that will enter drafters' minds.



I do think if he does well this year he will bolt.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Gunk wrote:
Taysom Hill's Career stats are already better than Jake Lockers and Locker went #8 in the draft. Hill could have been drafted had he put his name in the draft last year. If he holds up with 65+% completion along with his running, he will be a top 5 draft pick next year.

Not taking anything away from Hill, but Locker was playing against the likes of Oregon, USC, and Stanford every year. That's something that will enter drafters' minds.



I do think if he does well this year he will bolt.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


To this point, look at his PER. Last year and this year, Vs good defenses. I think it will improve, but he may not play another good defense this year unless in a Bowl game.



There is a lot of football to be played before I would even bother to ask him. I have the ability to get that question asked through a friend that knows him very well and talks to him all the time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
The NFL is a meat market. Taysom Hill is a return missionary. The older he gets the lower his stock goes. I don't have any inside information but I know that Taysom wants to play in the NFL (what college player doesn't). I don't think his stock will be any higher than it will get this year. IMO with his arm and athletic ability he will get a shot. Taysom is just as big as Locker, is faster (better runner) and has a better arm. IMO he is a first round pick at the end of this year (IMO top 5) I will be shocked if he comes back for his SR season.
F
frdbtr
Wolverine wrote:
Well guys, I am going to the Houston game. Got my tickets last night. Not sure how good of seats they are but I don't care, I just want to be in the stadium and see Taysom Hill do his work. I have a feeling this will be the last year we see him in a BYU uniform so I wanted to see him live. My advice to anyone who is wondering if they should get tickets this year is to do it. We may not get another like him for another 30 years (Steve young being the last) if not ever. If his current level of play holds up for the rest of the year, we will be seeing him go in the top 5 of the NFL draft next year.

You are so right (amazingly talented player) and yet I hope you are so wrong (leaving early). I have my season tickets and look forward to making the 3.5 hour drive south for every home game this year. If ever there was a schedule to generate Taysom-mania, the 2015 schedule would be the one. @Nebraska, @UCLA, and @ Michigan all in the month of September has the potential to set the table for a truly wild ride for Taysom. Imagine continuing on the trend he has started these first 2 games, and then having Texas like games at the 3 above mentioned venues to start next year. It would be off the charts Taysom-mania. For now, I just hope it continues tomorrow night and one game at a time for the rest of this season. Go Cougars!


I seriously hope I am wrong as well because with that schedule and the talent we will have around Taysom, I would give us a legit shot to run that schedule and make a huge splash nationally. I just don't see him staying the way the NFL downgrades return missionary talent due to age. If you have a 21 year old kid and a 25 year old kid with similar skills which one are you going to take in the draft first?
Advertisement
G
Guest
All Cougar fans should strive to see Taysom Hill live, whether this is his last year or 2nd to last year he is a truly special athlete who is a winner on and off the field.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Well guys, I am going to the Houston game. Got my tickets last night. Not sure how good of seats they are but I don't care, I just want to be in the stadium and see Taysom Hill do his work. I have a feeling this will be the last year we see him in a BYU uniform so I wanted to see him live. My advice to anyone who is wondering if they should get tickets this year is to do it. We may not get another like him for another 30 years (Steve young being the last) if not ever. If his current level of play holds up for the rest of the year, we will be seeing him go in the top 5 of the NFL draft next year.

You are so right (amazingly talented player) and yet I hope you are so wrong (leaving early). I have my season tickets and look forward to making the 3.5 hour drive south for every home game this year. If ever there was a schedule to generate Taysom-mania, the 2015 schedule would be the one. @Nebraska, @UCLA, and @ Michigan all in the month of September has the potential to set the table for a truly wild ride for Taysom. Imagine continuing on the trend he has started these first 2 games, and then having Texas like games at the 3 above mentioned venues to start next year. It would be off the charts Taysom-mania. For now, I just hope it continues tomorrow night and one game at a time for the rest of this season. Go Cougars!


I seriously hope I am wrong as well because with that schedule and the talent we will have around Taysom, I would give us a legit shot to run that schedule and make a huge splash nationally. I just don't see him staying the way the NFL downgrades return missionary talent due to age. If you have a 21 year old kid and a 25 year old kid with similar skills which one are you going to take in the draft first?


When did a mission start adding 4 years? ;)

But yes, that plus a redshirt adds three. But that is all red herring stuff.



in this case going this year Vs next year is a 1 year difference. His biological clock is ticking. There certainly is precedence for a junior leaving early. He does expect to play in the NFL. But, he already chose to serve a mission and wait 2 years. Legacy is priceless. You can go back and finish a degree later like McMahon, but you cannot go back and get a Heisman later or set NCAA records that will stand for a generation later. You Cannot Go Back ANZ Win An NC later.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
Taysom Hill's Career stats are already better than Jake Lockers and Locker went #8 in the draft. Hill could have been drafted had he put his name in the draft last year. If he holds up with 65+% completion along with his running, he will be a top 5 draft pick next year.


This is a good point about Locker and a bit of an anomaly. He looked very average, espcially given his arm and accuracy. Im am amazed he has done as well as he has. He isnt a world beater, but was drafted far higher than his stats and record in college deserved and he has performed better than the average over-drafted qb. But he is an exception. THill has a ways to go with his passing before he will be top 5. The trend of mobile qbs in the nfl is fading slighty. Mobile qbs are higher risk qbs. Look at RGIII and kapernick. An NFL qb has to be able to throw the ball well.
M
mizzoucoug
frdbtr wrote:
Well guys, I am going to the Houston game. Got my tickets last night. Not sure how good of seats they are but I don't care, I just want to be in the stadium and see Taysom Hill do his work. I have a feeling this will be the last year we see him in a BYU uniform so I wanted to see him live. My advice to anyone who is wondering if they should get tickets this year is to do it. We may not get another like him for another 30 years (Steve young being the last) if not ever. If his current level of play holds up for the rest of the year, we will be seeing him go in the top 5 of the NFL draft next year.


I agree on everything. I predicted after his Freshman year game vs Hawaii that he'd be in the Heisman conversation at some point in the next 2 years. I suck at the weekly prediction game, but I am proud to say I nailed this one!
C
Cougs_Rule
mizzoucoug wrote:
Well guys, I am going to the Houston game. Got my tickets last night. Not sure how good of seats they are but I don't care, I just want to be in the stadium and see Taysom Hill do his work. I have a feeling this will be the last year we see him in a BYU uniform so I wanted to see him live. My advice to anyone who is wondering if they should get tickets this year is to do it. We may not get another like him for another 30 years (Steve young being the last) if not ever. If his current level of play holds up for the rest of the year, we will be seeing him go in the top 5 of the NFL draft next year.


I agree on everything. I predicted after his Freshman year game vs Hawaii that he'd be in the Heisman conversation at some point in the next 2 years. I suck at the weekly prediction game, but I am proud to say I nailed this one!


Prove it. And while youre at it, find my prediction too. :-)

And think what last year could have amounted to if BYU had this years Oline.
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Did Taysom red shirt at Stanford or grey shirt? Something is off for him to be 24 and a junior, even with a mission.



Taysom's first play as a Cougar? 4th and 1 around the 20 yard line. Rolled right and threw a laser for a TD. The color analyst had said that when he was watching practice, Hill jumped out at him right away.



If he can maintain a 150 PER for the rest of the season, he's gone. And then we get the next once in a generation player back off a mission.
B
Brayden Green
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Did Taysom red shirt at Stanford or grey shirt? Something is off for him to be 24 and a junior, even with a mission.



Taysom's first play as a Cougar? 4th and 1 around the 20 yard line. Rolled right and threw a laser for a TD. The color analyst had said that when he was watching practice, Hill jumped out at him right away.



If he can maintain a 150 PER for the rest of the season, he's gone. And then we get the next once in a generation player back off a mission.


Taysom attended Stanford a year not on scholarship (greyshirted).



18-19 Stanford

19-21 Mormon Mission

21-22 True Freshman

22-23 True Sophomore

23-24 Junior



etc etc. He has a redshirt available, but Doman and company decided not to use it because he was already behind the age curve and they figured they could use him in games as a change of pace quarterback.



Don't you know that is why the LDS church changed the mission age to 18? President Monson got tired of hearing:



"21 year old true freshman Taysom Hill coming in with a record of…"



"He shows a lot of poise for a freshman…"

"Well, he ought to, he is a 21 year old man, after all…"



;) :lol: :whistle:



Can't wait for Houston game. Haven't been to LES since year before last. It's good to be back in Utah breathing that mountain air.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.