Archived Topic

Porter Gustin

by NDCougar · 9/9/2014

Advertisement
N
NDCougar
I know it has likely been discussed (I am sporadic in my CC viewing), so I apologize in advance.



Why has BYU not offered Porter Gustin? I noticed he was at the ND/Michigan game for his campus visit? I googled him and came across the article below. He seems like he would commit to BYU, so what is the issue?



I can't see BM having issues with his "attitude" (most star HS athletes have some issues) or foreseeing major character issues, given BM's history working with players that would seem abnormal (KVN). A ton of top programs are offering this kid that is 4-star, LDS, going on a mission, seems VERY odd BM could not find a spot for him (LB, TE).



Again, apologies as it has likely been discussed. Does BM now not want to offer given many people are pushing him to make the offer?



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865604927/Salem-Hills-star-football-recruit-Porter-Gustin-carefully-considering-all-options.html?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2014/6/5/5781144/byu-cougars-football-recruiting-porter-gustin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
craigoscarson
NDCougar wrote:
I know it has likely been discussed (I am sporadic in my CC viewing), so I apologize in advance.



Why has BYU not offered Porter Gustin? I noticed he was at the ND/Michigan game for his campus visit? I googled him and came across the article below. He seems like he would commit to BYU, so what is the issue?



I can't see BM having issues with his "attitude" (most star HS athletes have some issues) or foreseeing major character issues, given BM's history working with players that would seem abnormal (KVN). A ton of top programs are offering this kid that is 4-star, LDS, going on a mission, seems VERY odd BM could not find a spot for him (LB, TE).



Again, apologies as it has likely been discussed. Does BM now not want to offer given many people are pushing him to make the offer?



http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865604927/Salem-Hills-star-football-recruit-Porter-Gustin-carefully-considering-all-options.html?pg=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2014/6/5/5781144/byu-cougars-football-recruiting-porter-gustin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


The kid is a bit of a douche (what I hear behind closed doors).... He would not come to BYU if it was his only offer.(considering what he says about BYU in those articles and BYU hasn't offered is very very telling.. because I don't think he's being sincere).. I don't think you can find one picture of him wearing BYU gear anywhere... Bronco knows this and isn't going to fall into the trap of giving the kid his "collection" of offers. In hoops we found this often to be the case of some elite basketball players in Kansas City, they wanted the VIP treatment in their hometown, they wanted the offer, but there was no way in hell that they were going to play D1 hoops at UMKC (mostly a good decision, but we hated getting played like that and it happened a lot... because we were desperate... Bronco is not)



That said, he's a phenom and will play on sundays... shame that he's a douche... just a very big athletic one (follow him on twitter or facebook and you'll see that). It appears he has a great family, though.



Now... I met Harvey Langi premission at the BYU Oklahoma game and I thought the same thing... he did some douchey things (the weed thing high school, etc.) (rolled his eyes at my wife when she asked if he was going to BYU), acted like he was the best thing ever and got humbled fast then even moreso on his mission (something most people thought he'd never do)... Remember Harv could have gone anywhere he wanted, so I don't think we ever close the book on an instate guy, but Gustin is a waste of time to spend a lot of resources to recruit... shame... he's very talented (I wouldn't trade any of our 5 young linebackers for him though... Langi, Warner, Cook, Takitaki, Hinds are all better football players... though Gustin is possibly a better athlete than all but Warner and Hinds... (Hinds is an all world athlete).



In the end, I think Gustin is better suited to play DE in a 4-3 anyhow. He's not as fast as Cook, Warner, Hinds (Gustin ran a 4.85 this summer) but he's athletic enough and big enough that he'd be wasted playing DE in our scheme; kind of like Bronson was and to an extent Ziggy when he was on the dline (though zig is faster than some safeties in the NFL). Our defense is predicated on reliable big tough hogs on the Dline that could care less about personal stats and Gustin is a guy that in a 4-3 could do a lot of damage on the edge but might not have the hips and speed to do a ton of pass coverage. We don't offer him what he needs, and he doesn't really offer us what we need.
N
NDCougar
Thank you for the background! Makes sense. If he is truly looking for an offer he won't take then we should not offer it. If we think he comes I think you still take a flyer on him.



If he plans on a mission and has good parents he will likely come around, he is likely a 17 year old kid that is getting offers from big schools and I am sure his is a celebrity in Salem. I think BM should take a shot at him. A LOT of big time recruits are "douches" and then things change when the mature and/or get knocked down to earth in college.
S
scott715
His dad has been very vocal and part of the problem. Don't want to offer him except signing day. Maybe he comes after his problem. I don't mind offering on signing day. He might want to come after his mission. I would live the reputation of changing to the Y post mission. It would help us recruit mission bound players.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
NDCougar
scott715 wrote:
His dad has been very vocal and part of the problem. Don't want to offer him except signing day. Maybe he comes after his problem. I don't mind offering on signing day. He might want to come after his mission. I would live the reputation of changing to the Y post mission. It would help us recruit mission bound players.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Jake Heaps type issues?
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
He was involved in some way with a publicized hazing incident. All charges ended up being dropped against him, but something has never sat right with the coaches about him.



His dad tells a story that Porter would have committed had he been offered on one of his visits to the school, but the offer didn't come.
S
Stirfry
NDCougar wrote:
A LOT of big time recruits are "douches" and then things change when the mature and/or get knocked down to earth in college.


That's the beauty of college sports. :P In high school your world is small enough that you know them, in the pro's there is so much access to them and they publicize themselves enough that you see who they are, but in college all you see is the under the direction of the BYU PR office on field behavior.



I don't know anything about Porter but it sure looked like he wanted to come to BYU. I imagine Bronco has held out so long that even if he did offer now there's a good chance that bridge has been burned. My guess is they know something we don't but it's going to hurt to see someone ranked so highly to go somewhere else when they implied they wanted to come here.
I
IowaCougar
I just watched "Draft Day" the other day. Why does this thread remind me of that? Sometimes you go with those that feel right.
B
BOID
IowaCougar wrote:
I just watched "Draft Day" the other day. Why does this thread remind me of that? Sometimes you go with those that feel right.


I saw that too. Some Wisconsin QB (fictitious) was a top NFL recruit and a douche. The Browns general manager (fictitious) got cold feet on him as the rumors circulated, though other NFL coaches would not confide re why they passed on this number one recruit. It was an interesting movie. I wondered how much the Badgers got paid for the use of their name, and for the association with the fictitious douche character....... Hmmmmm.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
By the way, I don't know these people, (although I grew up in Payson, which is very close) but I'll trust Bronco on this one.



Thanks Craig, for that bit of illumination.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
DeVon
Can we quit referring to a high school kid as a "douche"? He may not be right for BYU, he may not be a nice guy, but I would imagine most of us on here are adults and should not be calling kids "douches"...just a thought, what do I know.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.