Archived Topic

Anniversary of 9/11

by SpiffCoug · 9/9/2014

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Does BYU breakout an American flag style Oval Y logo on the helmet - similar to the camou one they did in the Armed Forces Bowl a few years back?



Do they go with American flag sleeves?



How does the team recognize this event? Do they?
D
Ddawg
It's a good point Spiff. It's "big deal" that cannot be overlooked. To show class, I think the Y boyz should show some uniform designator to show we remember 9/11 and the victims. Heck, both college and the NFL wear pink shoes, socks, ankle wraps, wrist sweat bands, gloves, and helmets to show support for cancer awareness. Cancer is a big deal - but so is honoring the victim's and survivors of 9/11.



I hope someone on the team has seen your post - and acts quickly. 8)
C
Cougs_Rule
At least moment of silence and maybe a bad number? Or special pregame tribute. How about a flyover?
F
frdbtr
Hope I am wrong, but my guess is they will do nothing. IMO America has all but forgotten 9/11. Sad and wrong but true.
Advertisement
I
idahocougarfan
On the weekly BYU Athletics email it mentioned pregame activities/tribute.



"The BYU Cougars return to Provo for the 2014 Home Opener against Houston. COME EARLY and don't miss the special pre-game activities that will take place before kickoff. BE IN YOUR SEATS EARLY. We cannot stress this enough....."





"9/11 Tribute - BE IN YOUR SEATS EARLY. Come Early. Wear Blue. Rise and Roar."



It looks like pregame will have some tribute but it would be great if the team did something as well.



Go Cougs!!
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
Hope I am wrong, but my guess is they will do nothing. IMO America has all but forgotten 9/11. Sad and wrong but true.

Houston remembers it. You will see special insignia on their helmets.



I hope BYU remembers it. The BYU@Mississippi State game was rescheduled because of it. When the game was finally played at the end of the season, Luke Staley got what a severe leg injury near the end of the close win. Staley never played a game of football after that even after leaving a year early for the NFL. BYU was 12-0 after that win, but ended up 12-2.



That is not the main thing to remember about 9-11, but just another reason I think BYU will remember.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
frdbtr wrote:
Hope I am wrong, but my guess is they will do nothing. IMO America has all but forgotten 9/11. Sad and wrong but true.

Agreed. Much like most of the Country doesn't even remember Pearl Harbor day anymore. I think that the two are equal and deserve equal respect by all. But the lack of observance of Pearl Harbor Day has lead me to believe for quite some time, that September 11, will fade out as much as December 7 has
D
DeVon
My understanding has been that the plea to be in our seats a half hour early is definitely due to some sort of 9/11 tribute.
F
frdbtr
DeVon wrote:
My understanding has been that the plea to be in our seats a half hour early is definitely due to some sort of 9/11 tribute.


I'm glad to hear this. When the thread was first posted nothing had been mentioned as far as I know. I think there has been a conscious effort to forget 9/11 by the media and it irritates me. By the way, I fly my flag on 9/11 but not Labor day. Labor day is not a flag flying holiday.
Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
frdbtr wrote:
Hope I am wrong, but my guess is they will do nothing. IMO America has all but forgotten 9/11. Sad and wrong but true.


You are very wrong... it's the only game on TV that night and Zach Nyborg has promised some big surprises. They're also giving out "flag type" cards to 15,000 people on the east side of the stadium... I would not be surprised if weather permitting there wasn't a fly by too. (maybe a stealth bomber... they're soooooo amazing when they do fly bys , saw a couple at arrowhead stadium and one at the mlb allstar game, almost stole the show)



Also ESPN is bringing in the above air stadium cam (I can't remember it's actual name)



I expect the guys will get surprised on game day and be jacked about their very cool uniforms or helmets.



I'm a former officer in the US Army (albeit in the reserves), and I will NEVER forget and I don't think many BYU fans will either. We're about as American as it gets! (the good part of America!)
C
Cougs_Rule
Salutes to you Craig.

I just saw the 9/11 memorial in NYC, the weekend of the UConn game. Very impressive. HAwaii and USS Arizona gets forgottten partly by distance. 9/11 is right in the heart of the financial district and wont be as likely forgotten. Unless we have an abundance a 'transform America" presidents in the future.

Besides, terrorism is not going away anytime soon. Sadly, There will be wake up and remember events in the future.
S
Screamineagle
I absolutely will never forget it and I am so thankful for the people in our Military that sacrifice so much. My kids school is doing some special stuff for 9/11 also so there is hope it wont fade quickly.
I
IowaCougar
Cougs_Rule wrote:
At least moment of silence and maybe a bad number? Or special pregame tribute. How about a flyover?


Actually, I think I'd rather have a "band" number than a "bad" number. ;)
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
Helmets for tomorrow's game:



https://twitter.com/CollegeGameDay/status/509696471898542080/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Not bad. The only time that red is permissible on a BYU uniform... :)



https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxLOPV6CQAEWYCy.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxLOPWdCYAAua6z.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxLOPXZCMAEyavu.jpg" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">



I like the Pentagon and Twin Towers logo on the back.
M
Mingjai
Ungoy wrote:
Helmets for tomorrow's game:



https://twitter.com/CollegeGameDay/status/509696471898542080/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Not bad. The only time that red is permissible on a BYU uniform... :)


It's a little over the top for my tastes. I would have preferred if BYU simply changed one of the blue helmet stripes to red and added a red outline to regular helmet logo.
H
HoosierCougar
I like the tribute helmet. I also saw a pic on twitter last night that looked likea tarp over the Y on the 50 at LES. Can't find the tweet now, but maybe a similar logo on the field?
D
DeVon
Love all of it. Anything that can be done to add to the player excitement and overall game day experience is a plus. It has been obvious that BYU marketing has been making a concerted effort over the last couple of years to improve the game day experience and I love it. I'm sure all of you are hearing the same rumors I am of cards being given to the fans to make pictures, flags, fly-overs, music, and plenty of red, white, and BLUE. I, for one, am very excited for the game.
F
frdbtr
Awesome! I am glad I was wrong about this one. This is going to be cool and I have my tickets in hand for the game!! :crazy: :love:
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.