Archived Topic

Could "Rise & Shout" Be Our "Roll Tide?"

by Schmoe · 9/7/2014

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
So, after the game today (awesome), I went to Walmart to grab a few things and there were many other Cougar fans there, high on the recent victory and loving life. I felt like we all had this connection in our euphoric state after having just witnessed total Cougar dominance, and I wanted to acknowledge that connection, but didn't have time to start awkward conversations with total strangers. This got me to thinking, what if we used "Rise & Shout" like 'Bama uses "Roll Tide?" Where we could just give each other a little head nod and say "Rise & Shout," and respond in the same way. I think it would be a cool way to further the fan connection of Cougar Nation, but I don't know that I'm brave enough to try to start the revolution all on my own and get weird looks from other Cougar fans. Anyway, am I just crazy, or would you be on board with something like that? Thoughts?
B
BoiseBYU
Schmoe wrote:
So, after the game today (awesome), I went to Walmart to grab a few things and there were many other Cougar fans there, high on the recent victory and loving life. I felt like we all had this connection in our euphoric state after having just witnessed total Cougar dominance, and I wanted to acknowledge that connection, but didn't have time to start awkward conversations with total strangers. This got me to thinking, what if we used "Rise & Shout" like 'Bama uses "Roll Tide?" Where we could just give each other a little head nod and say "Rise & Shout," and respond in the same way. I think it would be a cool way to further the fan connection of Cougar Nation, but I don't know that I'm brave enough to try to start the revolution all on my own and get weird looks from other Cougar fans. Anyway, am I just crazy, or would you be on board with something like that? Thoughts?


I like. And one day Roll Tide will be Alabama's Rise and Shout!
S
scott715
Rise and Shout
B
BroncoBot
Love it. Rise and shout.
F
farmboybunk
I use "Rise and Shout" all the time to "shout out" to other BYU fan that I do not know. I sometimes get a "Rise and Shout" back or "Go Cougs", but way to often I get a blank stare... Hopefully it catches on. I have it a cross the back window of my Jeep to spread the word :)
Advertisement
M
Mars


Too long. I went with "GO COUGARS!" tonight. It was perfect.

It's worked well in the past at airports, etc. also.
V
vancouvercougar
Actually I use the Rise and Shout phrase all the time when I see fellow cougar fans.
J
Jarhead
Rise & Shout. I like it.
S
SpoCoug
"Go Cougs!" works for me. I usually get the same comment back.
B
BYULV
I like Rise and Shout. Go cougars is good, but maybe too generic with other canvases being cougars as well . . . Like our next opponent
Advertisement
M
MesaCougFan
I've always used "Go Cougs!" Yesterday while filling my drink at Cafe Rio, I was noticed (in my Rise shirt & Y hat) by a lady who hit me from behind with a "Go Cougs!" It warmed my soul.



A little while back, I hit a fella (wearing a navy Y hat) walking down the cereal isle at Wal-Mart with a "Go Cougs!" He gave me a perplexed look, and I pointed to his Y, and he said "you mean bulldogs? It's Yale". First time I ever saw a Yale fan.



I like Rise and Shout, but Go Cougs seems to flow universally for me.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
a1247
"Go cougs", rolls off the tongue better.
S
Schmoe
Too long? It's one more syllable than "Go Cougs," and barely, because you're not gonna pronounce the "and," it'll be "Rise n' Shout." Oh well...
W
Wolverine
a1247 wrote:
"Go cougs", rolls off the tongue better.

I am a "Go Cougs" guy myself, but that rolls with my Michigan upbringing of "Go Blue". However, the ND beat down yesterday made me ill, but the Texas beat down was the perfect remedy :)
S
Schmoe
Here's a tweet that just showed up in the Cougar Corner twitter feed:



Coach Leach and Theron West lead the team on to the bus! On our way to the stadium. #GoCougs



I guess Washington State are BYU fans... :whistle:
Advertisement
B
BYULV
I think rise N Shout is more unique and could become our own, not having to share with other schools, but, I'm trying it out today at the airport in Austin and I'm getting a lot of delayed responses and maybe a little confusion from fans I pass. Guess it'll just take same time. Maybe needs a promotional push from the ROC
V
vancouvercougar
We play the Houston cougars Thursday. Go cougs good go either way. Rise & shout is exclusively BYU.
E
EM_Puma
vancouvercougar wrote:
Actually I use the Rise and Shout phrase all the time when I see fellow cougar fans.


Same here.
W
Wolverine
vancouvercougar wrote:
We play the Houston cougars Thursday. Go cougs good go either way. Rise & shout is exclusively BYU.

Just say it to people dressed in blue and not red and it will seem less confusing ;) Go Cougs!
M
Mars


I never liked the term "Cougs". Houston commonly goes by the "Coogs". BYU is the Cougars.



How about Rise & Shine?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.