Y
YzzazzLast year, the TCU loss seemed baffling to me. Seeing it get repeated made sense--okay TCU's just that good--but FSU? FSU's defense was pretty pathetic and yet we couldn't even keep the game close. Are we in for another embarrassing loss against a team with BCS-caliber, speedier athletes?
Here's why I think not:
Because Oregon State seems like a different kind of team than TCU and FSU, I want to believe BYU could win the game simply because they can keep it close and take advantage of late-game opportunities. Rogers is a stud runner, but BYU has had some success against the run this year. Logan was burned for 7 long-yardage passes against FSU, but he has since improved as a cover man. Lastly, Bronco and Anae seem to do respectably well with study and extra prep times over the last five years.
All this gives me hope that we won't see another blow out.
And yet, I find myself a bit uneasy on the matter. I don't like the fact that Max couldn't put the hammer down and convert touchdowns twice more in regulation against Utah. My personal explanation is that Max doesn't go 12 of 32 against ANYBODY. And that this abnormal stat was accomplished with a little help from the drapery school of coverage the zebras encouraged against Pitta.
But what if it's actually possible for OSU to shut down Max like that, while still putting up a few scores of their own? I have this nagging notion that we could see a 35-17 loss to the Beavers. Considering the fact that Max's only win over a ranked opponent (which wasn't later considered lousy), was the Oklahoma game, and that even in THAT game BYU only scored 14 points, I have a hard time expecting anything other than a low-scoring outing by BYU.
Last year against Arizona it was 21. Can BYU's defense hold OSU below that number? This isn't a rattled freshman QB who will overthrow half a dozen key passes we'll be playing against here.
Does anyone here feel certain BYU will not get blown out? Why?
Here's why I think not:
Because Oregon State seems like a different kind of team than TCU and FSU, I want to believe BYU could win the game simply because they can keep it close and take advantage of late-game opportunities. Rogers is a stud runner, but BYU has had some success against the run this year. Logan was burned for 7 long-yardage passes against FSU, but he has since improved as a cover man. Lastly, Bronco and Anae seem to do respectably well with study and extra prep times over the last five years.
All this gives me hope that we won't see another blow out.
And yet, I find myself a bit uneasy on the matter. I don't like the fact that Max couldn't put the hammer down and convert touchdowns twice more in regulation against Utah. My personal explanation is that Max doesn't go 12 of 32 against ANYBODY. And that this abnormal stat was accomplished with a little help from the drapery school of coverage the zebras encouraged against Pitta.
But what if it's actually possible for OSU to shut down Max like that, while still putting up a few scores of their own? I have this nagging notion that we could see a 35-17 loss to the Beavers. Considering the fact that Max's only win over a ranked opponent (which wasn't later considered lousy), was the Oklahoma game, and that even in THAT game BYU only scored 14 points, I have a hard time expecting anything other than a low-scoring outing by BYU.
Last year against Arizona it was 21. Can BYU's defense hold OSU below that number? This isn't a rattled freshman QB who will overthrow half a dozen key passes we'll be playing against here.
Does anyone here feel certain BYU will not get blown out? Why?

