Archived Topic

After Further Review

by Cougarbib · 9/3/2014

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Anyone else catch this BYU TV show last night?



Dave McCann, David Nixon, Blaine Fowler, Brian Logan and Crew break down film and get into why plays worked and why they did not. Interesting topics.



Athleticism Vs being Assignment Sound - Texas game last year was a great example of superior athletes getting burned by not being assignment sound.



Taysom Hill. What changed. Protection. Anticipation. Communication. Patience. Much more mental than physical.



For those that like swagger - there was plenty of that.



When they break down film, you get a full field view with freeze frame.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Excellent inaugural show! Loved it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Marking Time
I am not often impressed by sports shows. Most of them are pretty vanilla. AFR was different. You got four guys who really know what they are talking about taking the film of the previous game, and breaking it down frame by frame explaining exactly what happened, why it happened, and what worked or didn't work. They had a full hour to fill, so there there plenty of coverage.



It made me proud to think that our school was able to put together such an excellent program. If they manage to keep up the quality week after week, there's every reason to believe it is going to be a big hit.
G
Guest
Anyone know if this is available online? I'd love to see it.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
What I thought was interesting bib, was when Brian Logan was breaking down the sack you have been touting as one of Povey's great plays, he pointed out that Povey got lucky that Bronson flushed the QB in the other direction because Povey had not kept contain on the outside like was his assignment. Now, you took my words out of context about him never seeing the field again but what Logan said is my point. Not only is Povey one of the least athletic guys in our secondary but he is not assignment sound and that is why I would like him to see the field as little as possible and not at all if possible. Last years Houston debacle was a huge example of him trying to do things out of his assignment and getting burned. I never feel comfortable with the guy on the field.
G
Guest
Thanks!
C
Cougs_Rule
frdbtr wrote:
What I thought was interesting bib, was when Brian Logan was breaking down the sack you have been touting as one of Povey's great plays, he pointed out that Povey got lucky that Bronson flushed the QB in the other direction because Povey had not kept contain on the outside like was his assignment. Now, you took my words out of context about him never seeing the field again but what Logan said is my point. Not only is Povey one of the least athletic guys in our secondary but he is not assignment sound and that is why I would like him to see the field as little as possible and not at all if possible. Last years Houston debacle was a huge example of him trying to do things out of his assignment and getting burned. I never feel comfortable with the guy on the field.


Well, 36 CC posters disagreed with you. So, there's that. 10 tackles! Good thing he was out of position so much.
C
Cougarbib
frdbtr wrote:
What I thought was interesting bib, was when Brian Logan was breaking down the sack you have been touting as one of Povey's great plays, he pointed out that Povey got lucky that Bronson flushed the QB in the other direction because Povey had not kept contain on the outside like was his assignment. Now, you took my words out of context about him never seeing the field again but what Logan said is my point. Not only is Povey one of the least athletic guys in our secondary but he is not assignment sound and that is why I would like him to see the field as little as possible and not at all if possible. Last years Houston debacle was a huge example of him trying to do things out of his assignment and getting burned. I never feel comfortable with the guy on the field.




Read what you just wrote and let me know just what I took out of context. I responded to this After The Review comment about PoVey in the other thread where you raised it.



Did you somehow miss the comments about Davis and Preator getting beat several times or being out of position. Did you miss the comment about the Craig Bills interception when the receiver had beaten the corner, was wide open behind the corner, and Bills was in position to tackle after what would have been a huge gain, and luckily the pass sailed high and Bills intercepted it. Did you miss the comment that when Leavitt blasted straight ahead into the backfield and got the TFL, he displayed a tendency that Texas could use to set him up and get a receiver wide open behind him. But, sure, single out PoVey.



BTW, KVN was frequently criticized for being out of position and trying to do too much - but, he had a nose for the ball and made plays. PoVey is not KVN. Not even close. But, he does have a nose for the ball.



The coaches know what they are doing. PoVey is now a back-up safety. Healthy. Playing his natural position. Much more assignment sound than you give him credit. He will play. Run support will be critical in this game. Tackling will be critical.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
I have not watched the video yet, but makes me wonder, if this analysis is so good, what would keep an opposing teams coaches or even a grad intern from watching, having scoured anything they can get their eyes on, and report to Sr coaches all the insights found on this program. I know game prep was set for most coaches by Sunday, but little pieces can always help. What I'm wondering is if this depth and quality of analysis and break down might lead to a shut down of this program. Thoughts?
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I have not watched the video yet, but makes me wonder, if this analysis is so good, what would keep an opposing teams coaches or even a grad intern from watching, having scoured anything they can get their eyes on, and report to Sr coaches all the insights found on this program. I know game prep was set for most coaches by Sunday, but little pieces can always help. What I'm wondering is if this depth and quality of analysis and break down might lead to a shut down of this program. Thoughts?


Opposing coaches have the same film. These True Blue guys are reasonably knowledgeable, but coaches will pick up these things and more. I had this concern for a minute or two when the program began, but got over it after thinking that through.



It is informative to fans but not "so expert" as to give away anything an opposing coach will not pick up.



Early in the show, they show the sideline throw from Hill to Matthews, and talk about the off season work on communication and that both know that when Matthews is guarded closely - dead even position with DB - like that situation, the throw will be coming to the back shoulder. That insight is what made me wonder that. BTW, this anticipation, communication, and patience is what has made Hill so much more effective.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Marking Time
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I have not watched the video yet, but makes me wonder, if this analysis is so good, what would keep an opposing teams coaches or even a grad intern from watching, having scoured anything they can get their eyes on, and report to Sr coaches all the insights found on this program. I know game prep was set for most coaches by Sunday, but little pieces can always help. What I'm wondering is if this depth and quality of analysis and break down might lead to a shut down of this program. Thoughts?

Good question, but think about it for a minute. AFR is broadcast Tuesday night, which means the soonest that an opposing coach could get any information gleaned to his players is Wednesday. The week is more than half gone by then.



Plus, AFR is looking at things from a BYU perspective. The opposing coaches will be looking at the same film from their own point of view.



And finally, the coaches will have access to film from the entire game, not just the select plays that AFR chooses to show. AFR, good as it is, will be only able to dissect a dozen plays at best in their hour-long time slot with commercials. There are more than 150 plays in any given game. That's less than 10% of the total plays in a game getting dissected.



I am sure opposing teams will make use of the service. As you said, every little bit helps. However, it will likely be of minimum value to them. I doubt there will be very many nuggets that their own coaches have overlooked during their own review of the tapes days earlier.
S
stuckinbig10country
So Logan pointed out that Povey didn't keep contain on his sack...ok. So what?



I'm not even sure it was a break down in assignment. Sometimes when you do what you're supposed to do, you are able to make a judgment of what is going to happen on a play and break assignment because it's what's called for in the live play. Maybe he saw Bronson make the play, and adjusted to what was actually going on.
M
mizzoucoug
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I have not watched the video yet, but makes me wonder, if this analysis is so good, what would keep an opposing teams coaches or even a grad intern from watching, having scoured anything they can get their eyes on, and report to Sr coaches all the insights found on this program. I know game prep was set for most coaches by Sunday, but little pieces can always help. What I'm wondering is if this depth and quality of analysis and break down might lead to a shut down of this program. Thoughts?


A lot of big time schools do this but again it's done by amateurs. Oregon has a whole channel on YouTube dedicated to play analysis.



I think AFR is excellent and exactly what people want to see. Especially since Ogletree's ill-fated blog went by the wayside. For those of us who want more than chit-chat it's the perfect program.
C
Cougarbib
What happened to Tree?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
Y
YNot
Fantastic! I was extremely impressed with the analysis and the production - how they had the different colors around the different players on the screen to easily identify what the offense and defense were doing. Fantastic!



I'm hoping this show gets other former Cougars to provide input and analysis. This would be fun for fans but also a great way to get former players some much-deserved love. I would love to see Brandon Doman or Rob Morris to provide some analysis, not to mention Ty Detmer, Steve Young, Luke Staley, and countless others.



And, it could become a huge recruiting tool - to show recruits that their on field play will be highlighted on a quality show AND perhaps have the opportunity to be involved after their playing career is over. Sign 'em up!
A
ABYUFAN
stuckinbig10country wrote:
So Logan pointed out that Povey didn't keep contain on his sack... .
:bug:
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
So Logan pointed out that Povey didn't keep contain on his sack... .
:bug:


Does he still get the sack or was he sackless?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
imuakahuku
stuckinbig10country wrote:
So Logan pointed out that Povey didn't keep contain on his sack...ok. So what?



I'm not even sure it was a break down in assignment. Sometimes when you do what you're supposed to do, you are able to make a judgment of what is going to happen on a play and break assignment because it's what's called for in the live play. Maybe he saw Bronson make the play, and adjusted to what was actually going on.


My thought is that it was not a break in his assignment. He has the contain. But you don't go 10 yards behind the line to keep contain. BK shot the inside gap on his man. If Sky tries to go outside the RB he leaves an opening for the QB or a RB to get through. If you want an example of this look at last years TX game. TH had a field day with that gap. So I see sky with a choice and I think he did the right thing. He shot the closest gap and got back into position to contain. If he goes outside and someone comes on a reverse the RB pushes sky out of the play and uconn gets a big gain. As it was if someone comes sky forces him way wide allowing for help and maybe draws a block in the back by the RB. Worse case he forces wide giving time for pursuit otherwise he gives an easy hole for someone to run for a long time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Cougarbib wrote:
What happened to Tree?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


He went to a subscription model @ $10/month. And as far as I know it went downhill from there since nobody wanted to pay that much for his insight, which was actually really good.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.