Archived Topic

Injuries hitting Texas

by SpiffCoug · 9/1/2014

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Their starting Center broke his ankle and will miss the BYU game.



And now there are reports that David Ash has a concussion and will miss the game as well.
B
BYULV
Ironically, we have a poor track record going against teams backup QBs. Hopefully that trend has ended.
C
Cougarbib
Who is the back-up these days? But, yeah, last time they beat us, the starter struggled and the back-up got them back in it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
SpiffCoug wrote:

And now there are reports that David Ash has a concussion and will miss the game as well.


ESPN -

"David Ash won't play vs. BYU"

Texas Longhorns quarterback David Ash will not play in Saturday's game against BYU because of concussion-like symptoms, coach Charlie Strong said Monday.



Ash, who missed most of last season with concussion symptoms, took several hard hits during the Longhorns' 38-7 victory against North Texas on Saturday.



http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11447864/david-ash-texas-longhorns-concussion-symptoms-play-vs-byu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
Cougarbib
I read that a couple of their formerly suspended players will be back in good graces in time for this game.



But, if these rumors are true



The OL was already suspect

QB is the most critical position on offense

Center is right behind QB - wait - anyway, you get what I mean

Communication, timing, and touch between the two is critical

Several other players were booted previously



I feel some optimism creeping in



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
H
Hookem
Game over...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Double
After the Texas game, two Austin American-Statesman writers, Cedric Golden and Kirk Bohls, talked about UT. One of their criticisms of Texas was how many hits the QB took. They then called Ash the "most indispensable" player on the team. This was before anyone knew Ash would not be playing against BYU.



I don't know enough about Texas to evaluate how much this will effect their team. But the local writers put a lot of value on Ash. Also, from the little I've read, it looks like the new starting QB is a running QB. With a suspect line in front of him, the new backup QB may take a lot of hard hits during the BYU game.



Here is a link to the Austin writers discussion:

http://video.statesman.com/Longhorn-Minute-How-will-the-team-fare-against-BYU-and-UCLA-26568093?playlistId=15517#.VAST-q2D7vN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
Cougarbib
The probable backup QB is huge. A beast. Tall. Muscular. He played in 5 games last season. He only threw for about 30 yards. Better rusher. No much experience. Strong said if he ever gets out to the edge, he will look like Taysom Hill. If!



This impact will be huge. If BYU cuts penalties and turnovers and Special Teams shows up to be even sdequate, BYU is going to beat Texas.



Texas will test the arm of Hill early. BYU needs to take advantage of that opportunity and do some play action starting with the first snap.



I read, that contrary to what was posted earlier, speedster Daje Johnson and the suspended safety will not return for the BYU game.



Maybe our new rival will become Texas.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
Do not underestimate TX recruits, it's D, playing at home and coach Strong. Sometimes adversity makes you better. Very unfortunate for TX and Ash. Honestly, playing CT, we didn't prove too much....yet....TX will come to play...hard. We better be ready.
C
Cougs_Rule
Texas is better with the backup qb, than Ash. Consider: With a weak Oline and now the Center out with injury, Ash would have been even more at risk and unable to scramble and create. He would have been toast. Poor kid.

But with a 6'4" 240 runner and play maker, he can at least scramble, keep plays alive and create space for the only remaining threat on the O--the talented RBs. i wont be surprized to see a lot of option offense, presuming he doesnt have a very good passing game.

If I hear one BYU coach say, we arent changing our game prep for Texas bc of Ash's injury, I'm gonna scream.
Advertisement
B
BYUBALLIN
Nfl network is reporting ash is out vs BYU. Texas strength is supposed to be its def this year..either way it's gonna be a tough road game.
S
Schmoe
Hookem wrote:
Game over...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do you think so? I know that this has got to have Longhorn nation feeling mighty down, but I still see a dogfight coming this Saturday.
C
Cougarbib
Las Vegas still seems to have Texas favored by 3.0 to 4.5 points. They list Ash and a tight end as injured and list no BYU injuries. No mention of Kurtz or the Texas center.



It will be interesting to see if this changes as the week progresses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
Hookem
Schmoe wrote:
Game over...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do you think so? I know that this has got to have Longhorn nation feeling mighty down, but I still see a dogfight coming this Saturday.


The offense was already suspect.



Lots of misinformation out there about Swoopes. Swoopes is big, but IMO is better suited as a tight-end or even DE.



True frosh Jerrod Heard is more like Hill in that regard.



I wouldn't be surprised if we don't go to an option offense. The only, and I mean the only good thing about this is that BYU has no idea what to prepare for. I suspect if we have any luck on offense, it will be in the first half before you guys make the proper adjustments.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
hookem,



you're cracking me up with this "adjustments at halftime" business. you do remember you're talking about the BYU game, right?
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Texas is better with the backup qb, than Ash. Consider: With a weak Oline and now the Center out with injury, Ash would have been even more at risk and unable to scramble and create. He would have been toast. Poor kid.

But with a 6'4" 240 runner and play maker, he can at least scramble, keep plays alive and create space for the only remaining threat on the O--the talented RBs. i wont be surprized to see a lot of option offense, presuming he doesnt have a very good passing game.

If I hear one BYU coach say, we arent changing our game prep for Texas bc of Ash's injury, I'm gonna scream.

BYU coaches can say whatever they please. but I sure hope they calculate ash out into game preparation. talk is cheap. results matter (at least to me).
H
Hookem
BroncoBot wrote:
hookem,



you're cracking me up with this "adjustments at halftime" business. you do remember you're talking about the BYU game, right?


Haha! At first glance I thought you were taking about my brownies comment.



Ugh. I so wish I could convince myself that the next 4 games are going to be better than what I can presently imagine. Was just told that Ash had a seizure after the game Saturday night. I feel so bad for that kid. To say he's a great kid is an understatement. He needs to hang it up if he wants any kind of a normal life.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
Hookem
Cougarbib wrote:
Las Vegas still seems to have Texas favored by 3.0 to 4.5 points. They list Ash and a tight end as injured and list no BYU injuries. No mention of Kurtz or the Texas center.



It will be interesting to see if this changes as the week progresses.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Guarantee that changes by game time once they do their research on the back-ups.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
Hookem
Tyrone Swoopes highlights for '13. As you'll see he's not elusive or a burner like Hill. He's big, covers a lot of ground with long strides and hard to bring down. Has a cannon for an arm but extremely inconsistent.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALRkl2Ds9Wc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Jerrod Heard Senior Highlights. I personally think he's the future of our team, but wanted him to redshirt. Unless Swoopes surprises I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the starter by the end of the season. I can see them running the option with him and slowly implement the passing game as the season progresses.



http://www.hudl.com/athlete/282927/highlights/81888376" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
H
Hookem
Bib, I just saw the comment by Strong making the Hill comparison. Oh brother...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.