Archived Topic

Big XII coaches speak out

by Ygridiron4ever · 8/30/2014

Advertisement
Y
Ygridiron4ever
Have you seen the Big 12 commercial where the coaches brag about only having 10 teams? Pretty bold statements about having no divisions and no championship game. "With explosive offenses against aggresive defenses in front of thousands of passionate fans in colleges football's top venues." "Every game matters" and that is the best way to crown "One True Champion."



I just saw it during the WV /Alabama game. I'm sure it will run several times in many BigXII games.



Is that commercial directed at someone in particular (clears throat)?



pretty expensive campaign to put forth an agenda.
F
Fido
I'm sure its all propaganda to try and ensure they get a playoff spot or can get a conference championship if necessary without expanding. I don't think the rest of the P5 is buying it though.
G
Gunk
One of the worst things you can do in a marketing campaign is call out attention to a deficiency. That's what they are doing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Despite the propaganda, I believe it would be very difficult to persuade the other 4 power conferences that it's nice that they set themselves up with extra teams to do a playoff under existing rules, but we're going to let you slide with your greedy ten teams that don't want to share any of your pie. Good luck on that.



This is one time when I hope the majority of the P5 conferences carry the day. It's one of our few hopes.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Yep, what we need is P5 pressure from the other 4 conferences on the Big XII to expand back to 12 teams. There needs to be a need for the Big XII to add the likes of Boise and BYU.
C
Cougs_Rule
I love this hubris and arrogance. They actually think they are strong enough and legit enough to take on the other P5 conferences. And UT is at the heart of it. Let's hope this arrogance continues next week.
I
imuakahuku
SpiffCoug wrote:
Yep, what we need is P5 pressure from the other 4 conferences on the Big XII to expand back to 12 teams. There needs to be a need for the Big XII to add the likes of Boise and BYU.


To be honest, if they were to expand I would hope they would take BYU and SDSU. I think BSU is on its way back to earth. I think it could be an easier sell as well. Southern Cal area for TV and recruiting vs north western Idaho.



One other thought on their saying of one true champ makes me laugh. I hope they get three teams that each beat the other and end with just one conf loss. Declaring a champ would come down to a tie breaker and that would be hilarious. Wouldn't it be so funny if they made it all the way to #4 on the list and their champ was picked by pulling it from a hat? :P

I don't know if this is still the tiebreaker rules but it will probably be something very similar.

The following procedure will determine the Big 12 Conference representative to the Bowl Championship Series in the event of a first-place tie:

If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 4 will be followed until a determination is made. Once a team has been eliminated from a multi-team comparison, it is dropped from further comparisons. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.

The records of the three teams will be compared against each other

The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in the conference

The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series Poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative, unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two highest ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Bowl Championship Series.

The representative will be chosen by draw.
G
Gunk
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I love this hubris and arrogance. They actually think they are strong enough and legit enough to take on the other P5 conferences. And UT is at the heart of it. Let's hope this arrogance continues next week.

All the more reason why the game next week is very important to UT and the Big 12. BYU beating Texas, the darling of the Big 12, puts a black mark on their credibility.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y12
Fido wrote:
I'm sure its all propaganda to try and ensure they get a playoff spot or can get a conference championship if necessary without expanding. I don't think the rest of the P5 is buying it though.


Good boy, Fido. Good boy. Now here's your treat.



This is spot on.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
EM_Puma wrote:
Despite the propaganda, I believe it would be very difficult to persuade the other 4 power conferences that it's nice that they set themselves up with extra teams to do a playoff under existing rules, but we're going to let you slide with your greedy ten teams that don't want to share any of your pie. Good luck on that.



This is one time when I hope the majority of the P5 conferences carry the day. It's one of our few hopes.


For KU, ISU, K State, and T Tech who have little chance of winning, this is about money. For the power brokers and teams loaded with money like Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and TCU, this is about reducing the risk of having 1 more game to play VA a good opponent that might take them right out of playoff contention. All that matters to them is NC contention. Baylor and WVU, IDK. Probably money.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.