Archived Topic

My game take-aways

by EM_Puma · 8/30/2014

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
It was a real Tale of Two Cities in being the best/worst of times. I loved it in the 2nd half when the ESPN announcer said something to the affect that "if you are a BYU fan, you're probably pretty frustrated." He spot-on expressed my exact feeling at that moment.



Loved:

-Taysom's majestic performance (78% completion rate! 177.14 QB rating)

-OL provided better protection

-OL not flagged once for off-sides

-The receivers caught the ball

-The number of QB sacks

-Michael Davis's team speed.

-The quick ability BYU has to score

-BYU fan support (projected to have been 7-9K)--way to go!

-defense 3 wins on CN's 4 - 4th down attempts.



Hated:

-The "chippy" calls by the referees. The ESPN announcers used that word once and I heard it in another game on last night, to describe a number of questionable calls. 240 yards in total penalties for both teams in one game usually says very bluntly the zebras were "chippy".

- The three fumbles (Matthews, Brown and someone on a punt (was is Davies--it went out of bounds, so no hurt, but very dangerous)

- The most pathetic special teams play. Punts had no hang time, missed easy FG, inability to make kicking off effective enough to not have rather simply kicked the ball out of the end zone.

-BYU not taking ball on the 35 following penalty kick out of bounds. All in the room just looked at one another. We had NEVER heard of any team making a team kick over when you already had the option of the ball on the 35. I'd have to say that such a call was about the most bone-headed call I've ever seen a coaching staff take and it sure backfired.

-The inconsistency of this referee staff in calling unsportsmanlike penalty for a player acting like he was reeling in something. I saw two much more "in-your-face" celebrations in front of refs on two other games last night and there was NOTHING called. I don't have any problems with them calling that if that is the standard of all refs at this level. It plainly is not and that short display of enthusiasm was not that strong of a taunt.

-150 yards in BYU penalties.



Bottom line--a 25 point win on the road on the east coast despite the loss of six players who should be starters or in the immediate two deep, 150 yards in penalties, losing the ball on two turnovers and missing a basic field goal--was very much appreciated. I am so appreciative of TH's last touchdown as the 2nd half had left a foul taste in my mouth, but his touchdown run turned the overall vibes from the game to be positive.
S
Schmoe
*25-point win on the road...
E
EM_Puma
Question out there.



I hadn't seen Taysom's QB rating in any post-game articles, so I went to http://www.primecomputing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to enter the data to calculate the number. You put in attempts (36), completions (28), passing yards (308), touchdowns (3) and interceptions (0). You have a button to then calculate the QB rating for NFL or NCAA

NFL: 130.09

NCAA: 177.14



Then I saw at ESPN they have calculated Taysom to have 91.5 QBR. Anyone know why the different numbers?
E
EM_Puma
Schmoe wrote:
*25-point win on the road...
Got it. Thx
S
Schmoe
EM_Puma wrote:
Question out there.



I hadn't seen Taysom's QB rating in any post-game articles, so I went to http://www.primecomputing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to enter the data to calculate the number. You put in attempts (36), completions (28), passing yards (308), touchdowns (3) and interceptions (0). You have a button to then calculate the QB rating for NFL or NCAA

NFL: 130.09

NCAA: 177.14



Then I saw at ESPN they have calculated Taysom to have 91.5 QBR. Anyone know why the different numbers?


ESPN's QBR is its own rating system. I think it has something with taking runs into account or something. Anyhow, the point scale is completely different in the ESPN QBR from regular PER.
Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
What dufus sent PAC 12 refs to do this game? Biggest takeaway, albeit only one game in, the OLine IS much much improved



We are going to miss Unga. CT ran well inside much of the night. Can't figure why they didn't do that more?



TH was in control, with the OL's help, and you could just feel it.



This team has some depth! Missing two starting corners, starting RB etc and we did alright



Both Anae and Howell called good games. D though was a little too much bend, with not one three and out



I'm not sure of the bagging of Povey. He made some plays and forced some too. I'm pretty sure if he was as bad as the baggers see it, he wouldn't be in....



Did I say anything about the OLine? Starting two freshmen yo!
M
mtnradio
ok, probably a bone headed question here ... but I've understood there to be a difference between qb rating and a per. Am I right or are they just two different names for the same thing?
Y
Ygridiron4ever
EM_Puma wrote:



-BYU not taking ball on the 35 following penalty kick out of bounds. All in the room just looked at one another. We had NEVER heard of any team making a team kick over when you already had the option of the ball on the 35. I'd have to say that such a call was about the most bone-headed call I've ever seen a coaching staff take and it sure backfired.




Any chance the coaches were confident enough in the other parts of last night's game (and in the presumed outcome) that it was viewed as an opportunity to work the special teams in an actual live-game situation? And that a different option would have been chosen if there was more at stake?



I dont know and I'm not defending anyone. Blue goggles firmly in place.
F
frdbtr
Bronco said in the post game on KSL that he did that because Hine is a good return man and he was confident that he could get more yards if they had them kick it again. Obviously it was a bad call. Lasike got the ball on the kick off and then the penalty. I'm sure Bronco won't make that call again. Sometimes you make an aggressive call and it goes against you and this was the case. I was irritated by it when it happens but you have to give props for being aggressive and giving your guys the chance to make a play.
E
EM_Puma
frdbtr wrote:
Bronco said in the post game on KSL that he did that because Hine is a good return man and he was confident that he could get more yards if they had them kick it again. Obviously it was a bad call. Lasike got the ball on the kick off and then the penalty. I'm sure Bronco won't make that call again. Sometimes you make an aggressive call and it goes against you and this was the case. I was irritated by it when it happens but you have to give props for being aggressive and giving your guys the chance to make a play.


It had been so standard since the NCAA had changed the penalty for the receiving team to take the ball on the 35 that I hadn't even realized that it was not automatic. I had never imagined or seen a team not take that excellent gift that I was dumbfounded. It's just fortunate when you can have boneheaded plays and they not take the game away, so whatever, but I'm still shaking my head on that one.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
EM_Puma wrote:
Bronco said in the post game on KSL that he did that because Hine is a good return man and he was confident that he could get more yards if they had them kick it again. Obviously it was a bad call. Lasike got the ball on the kick off and then the penalty. I'm sure Bronco won't make that call again. Sometimes you make an aggressive call and it goes against you and this was the case. I was irritated by it when it happens but you have to give props for being aggressive and giving your guys the chance to make a play.


It had been so standard since the NCAA had changed the penalty for the receiving team to take the ball on the 35 that I hadn't even realized that it was not automatic. I had never imagined or seen a team not take that excellent gift that I was dumbfounded. It's just fortunate when you can have boneheaded plays and they not take the game away, so whatever, but I'm still shaking my head on that one.


Not really that bone headed of a call. The kicking team does move further back to kick off the second time. If we were averaging 25 yds per return (I think that was last years avg) then we likely end our return around the 35-40 on an avg return, maybe a lot further with some good blocking. Bronco simply failed to take into account the refs, who this game were apparently trying to impress their mothers who were in the stands.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.