Archived Topic

BYU Needs an LES Upgrade....Badly.

by snoscythe · 8/27/2014

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
If nothing else, just for the revitalization of the fans and especially the donors. Just watch this video to see how Baylor has parlayed it's last 4-5 year run into a sweet stadium:



[youtube]RZgicN69FkY[/youtube]



Here's hoping BYU can put together a run like that and do the same.



The bacon-wrapped onion rings they'll be selling on game day is just icing on the cake.
B
BroncoBot
As long as the upgrade involves keeping REAL grass, I'm all for it.
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Even the stadium at Rice University is getting upgraded. And they SUCK.
F
frdbtr
BYU needs to sell out LES right now, every year. crap home games is not an excuse. BYU will never upgrade the stadium until it sells out every game for a few years.
S
Stirfry
frdbtr wrote:
BYU needs to sell out LES right now, every year. crap home games is not an excuse. BYU will never upgrade the stadium until it sells out every game for a few years.


Crap home games are a great excuse especially with the price increase two years ago. (This coming from a guy who was there to the bitterly cold end with about 10,000 of my closest friends when we played a late November home game with something like an 8 o'clock start 2 years ago against a horrible team) Yes I'm a cheap Mormon but the BYU BOT tells me to be a cheap Mormon.



A few simple (and free) changes could make going to the games much more attractive. I've accepted the situation that we went independent and our home schedule will have bad games. I think it's worth it compared to being in the MWC. A few more replays (free to LES), score updates (free to LES), letting me bring water when it's 95 degrees plus (not free to LES but not that expensive) and boring half time shows compared to what they did in the 90's (free to LES) isn't helping.



I can stay home, watch it on my big screen while drinking a an ice cold drink, mow my lawn at half time, and have the game take 2 hours instead of 8 on my Saturday. They need to make it more attractive to go to the game.



With that said I've been a season ticket holder for 25 years because I think fans should go to the game.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
I can guarantee you that the BOT will never approve stadium expansion when the current stadium is not selling out. It is basic laws of supply and demand.



If my work schedule didn't make it impossible to go to the games on Saturday I would have season tickets this year even with the crap home games.
S
Stirfry
frdbtr wrote:
I can guarantee you that the BOT will never approve stadium expansion when the current stadium is not selling out. It is basic laws of supply and demand.



If my work schedule didn't make it impossible to go to the games on Saturday I would have season tickets this year even with the crap home games.


I agree and they shouldn't approve it. But if BYU wants it to happen they need to increase demand and there's some easy ways they could do it (at least to some degree) if they are interested. I'm guessing it continues to get smaller (more chair seats) before it ever gets bigger. It's really to bad. If we had the corners filled in it would be awesome.
S
SpiffCoug
Yep, BYU & LES don't need expansion. They need upgrades from concessions to facilities to seating to amenities.



We don't need more seats. We need fewer seats with more room for spectators.



We need better wireless access.



Make the game experience better at the stadium and people will be willing to pay more to go.
C
Cougarbib
Stir

Even with the price increase, BYU football tickets are a bargain. Most family friendly environment in the country.



Sadly, schools that allow a pre-game drunk fest in the parking lot before the game get better fan support. BOT will not be allowing that, so BYU fans need to buck up.



I have been renewing season tickets since TY Detmer even though I have lived everywhere but Utah during that time frame.



See ya Saturday. Ten hour drive for me. I will probably hang around 10 days and save a trip as BYU hopefully kills 2 birds with that 1 stone.



If fans want an elite team and special seasons, BYU needs a special and elite fanbase.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougarbib wrote:
Stir

Even with the price increase, BYU football tickets are a bargain. Most family friendly environment in the country.



Sadly, schools that allow a pre-game drunk fest in the parking lot before the game get better fan support. BOT will not be allowing that, so BYU fans need to buck up.



I have been renewing season tickets since TY Detmer even though I have lived everywhere but Utah during that time frame.



See ya Saturday. Ten hour drive for me. I will probably hang around 10 days and save a trip as BYU hopefully kills 2 birds with that 1 stone.



If fans want an elite team and special seasons, BYU needs a special and elite fanbase.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Have to agree with Bib. Yes, its unfortunate that BYU thinks they can just get away with less than the latest and greatest and that they have to keep appearances managed about moderation--but thats just what it is. Moderate accomodations and which are better than the majority of stadiums (at least 60% anyway) of all mid majors and above. You been to Wash? What a dive!!! ND wasnt exactly the Taj Mahal.

I love to complain as much as any, but to pull off the shelf a comparison to Baylor--whose making at least 15mm or more ( i dont even know exact) is just fantasy. BYU has a lot of things going for it and ticket prices arent horrible--(and i even get gouged for east stands--so quit your griping about ticket prices).

They could do better food at little to no cost. dont know why they havent done that yet. And they certainly arent getting hosed on costs with ym and yw groups doing fundraising.

BUt end of day, NO CREDIBLE or accountable business would spend money to do major upgrade, close in corners, etc. It makes no sense at all.

THe history of BYU stadium has had all the horrible decision making it can stand for a century. You want to compain about something and create change that make a difference, terminate the insufferably, incompetent deal that was struck for pennies on todays dollar of granting two generations ticket rights for the meager contributions to help off-set costs of constructing the dang place. What a hobble that has been to the stadium and revenues for this modern era.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
SpiffCoug wrote:
Yep, BYU & LES don't need expansion. They need upgrades from concessions to facilities to seating to amenities.



We don't need more seats. We need fewer seats with more room for spectators.



We need better wireless access.



Make the game experience better at the stadium and people will be willing to pay more to go.


I agree with what Spiff says. I was surprised when TH said last week that having wireless access in the LES and MC is a top priority for the Sports Department. He said that they have lost a lot of students that won't come to the game without having wifi available. I was a bit surprised, but okay.



I was in a meeting with one of the major cell phone carriers yesterday that is represented all through the stadium in their support. They stated that they are very aware of the poor reception issues for their customers and they want to put a "cow" in the stadium during the games to expand their ability to meet the overwhelming pull on the nearby towers. The individual speaking in our meeting said she wasn't sure if she could pull that off, but realizes they need to do something. I would think this is just a matter of finding the resources and doing it.



I want better seating facilities. With the expansion of TV coverage for all home games, I'll admit that I dropped my season tickets. Until that changes, I'll continue to attend 1-2 games a season and watch the rest in my comfortable recliner. I can't understand additionally why the whole MC seating hasn't been changed. I love the blue seats and HATE the yellow ones.
C
Cougarbib
It seems ironic that the fans who complain most about the prices are demanding upgrades. More upgrades will mean even higher prices - maybe pricing on PAR with elite programs with elite facilities. I am OK either way. Nothing like a live game experience. Until recently I was a very frustrated Sprint customer. Telephone, texting, and Internet access sucked at LES. Internet sucked almost ever where for that matter. Now I am an ex Sprint customer freed from the chains that bound me. I hope T Mobile works better. Not optimistic about that at LES, but it is better where I live. And, no contract. I digress.



I would pay more for tickets if phone, texting, and Internet worked better. Then I can keep in touch with the couch potatoes regarding what replay showed, injury updates, and announcer opinions about controversial calls.



I do not care much whether seats are yellow. I do prefer Blue.



BYU is correct in responding to the fact that young people do not want to be disconnected for 4 hours. They need to deal with that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
We lost young people because there is no internet access?!?! Sorry if I sound incredulous but you are there to watch a freaking football game, not post selfies on facebook. This all goes back to Bib's comment about BYU needing an elite fan base, I'm afraid we don't have that.
B
BroncoBot
frdbtr wrote:
We lost young people because there is no internet access?!?! Sorry if I sound incredulous but you are there to watch a freaking football game, not post selfies on facebook. This all goes back to Bib's comment about BYU needing an elite fan base, I'm afraid we don't have that.

Totally agree. 4 hours without cell reception while enjoying one of the most beautiful venues for a football game (with NATURAL GRASS!!!!)?



BYU does have some great fans, but not 66000 who are able to attend games regularly.

Which is what makes the MC venue so good for basketball, it's a concentrated amount of fans who are there to really enjoy every minute. Not as much of a social event.



I believe LES needs very little. If wifi and TV coverage are keeping people home, I'm not sure BYU fans deserve more seats/upgrades.
S
Stirfry
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Stir

Even with the price increase, BYU football tickets are a bargain. Most family friendly environment in the country.



Sadly, schools that allow a pre-game drunk fest in the parking lot before the game get better fan support. BOT will not be allowing that, so BYU fans need to buck up.



I have been renewing season tickets since TY Detmer even though I have lived everywhere but Utah during that time frame.



See ya Saturday. Ten hour drive for me. I will probably hang around 10 days and save a trip as BYU hopefully kills 2 birds with that 1 stone.



If fans want an elite team and special seasons, BYU needs a special and elite fanbase.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Have to agree with Bib. Yes, its unfortunate that BYU thinks they can just get away with less than the latest and greatest and that they have to keep appearances managed about moderation--but thats just what it is. Moderate accomodations and which are better than the majority of stadiums (at least 60% anyway) of all mid majors and above. You been to Wash? What a dive!!! ND wasnt exactly the Taj Mahal.

I love to complain as much as any, but to pull off the shelf a comparison to Baylor--whose making at least 15mm or more ( i dont even know exact) is just fantasy. BYU has a lot of things going for it and ticket prices arent horrible--(and i even get gouged for east stands--so quit your griping about ticket prices).

They could do better food at little to no cost. dont know why they havent done that yet. And they certainly arent getting hosed on costs with ym and yw groups doing fundraising.

BUt end of day, NO CREDIBLE or accountable business would spend money to do major upgrade, close in corners, etc. It makes no sense at all.

THe history of BYU stadium has had all the horrible decision making it can stand for a century. You want to compain about something and create change that make a difference, terminate the insufferably, incompetent deal that was struck for pennies on todays dollar of granting two generations ticket rights for the meager contributions to help off-set costs of constructing the dang place. What a hobble that has been to the stadium and revenues for this modern era.


Hey I think that's where my seats came from :blush: (I'm not really sure what the advantage is except for it means we've been in line longer so get preference sooner. The price is the same.)



I don't want them to spend more money. I think Vivint would pay the same amount to have their name flashed in 24 different places as they pay to have it flashed in 26. They could show scores on the two freed up ribbon screens (and maybe people would look at them). Scores- Free, Replays- Free, if they want to gouge me for refreshment at least sell me Coke. (Maybe we could replace one of the halftime shows where the band plays "college song" with a verbal vote on if you want caffeinated products or not caffeinated products. That could provide some entertainment :P)



I always hear the "our tickets are a bargain" argument. I have no idea if they are or not but I question what they are when compared to similar teams in similar populations with similar wages and similar competition. I do know its one of the larger discretionary items I buy every year.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
To clarify--I am talking about UPGRADING the stadium (or building a new, updated facility), NOT expanding it.



To go back to the Baylor example, through last season, Baylor played at Floyd Casey Stadium, a relic from 1950 that seated 52,000. Now they are moving into their new cutting edge riverside McLane Stadium that seats 45,000. However, that lower number includes 39 suites, 74 Loge boxes, 1,200 outdoor club seats -- seats that sell at mind-boggling prices and will generate enough revenue to bring in many multiples of what an additional 7,000 gen pop seats would bring.



Baylor sold out the stadium for the entire year within a week of offering season tickets. Every seat in the house was bought as a season ticket except for the seats reserved for students, visiting team fan allotments, recruits, high school coaches and corporate partners/sponsor incentives.



My point is that I think BYU has been approaching this backwards--they say they won't look at anything drastic with the stadium until it starts selling out. I think they need to do something drastic in order to sell it out. It's smart to hold off until this pay-to-play thing settles out and they can get some confidence in financials moving forward, but once that is settled I think BYU should leverage the next big season (11+ wins) after that and either upgrade the dickens out of LES even if it sacrifices seats, or build a completely new facility that seats ~50K but that offers premier seating that can drum up revenue--the loges and box seats are always season ticket items, so they sell out for Idaho State and the Sisters of the Poor--nosebleeds on a game-to-game basis do not.
C
Cougarbib
That approach is proven re revenue. Shrink the seats, add corporate luxury boxes with waitresses, and put a top 15 team on the field, and the stadium will sell out immediately.



Somebody above wanted to compare BYU tickets to other small cities to measure whether they are really a bargain. And then will clamor for an elite team and special season.



Salt Lake City is bigger than Provo. That is not why Ute tickets are higher in price. Utah has gone the small but nice stadium approach. Supply and Demand. Limited seats. Easier to fill. Higher price. Oops, I forgot the all other things held equal part. Bring in a steady diet of P5 teams. Bring in an Oregon, USC, Stanford, or UCLA or two - higher prices. If Utah keeps losing, even with all of these factors working in their favor, it might all unravel.



Provo is small. SLC is in driving distance. Utah is small and isolated. Nebraska makes it work - corn and all.



BYU is a top 35-40 program at worst. Tickets are a bargain.



It would be interesting to compare BYU ticket prices to NM State, UNLV, Nevada, Fresno State, Idaho, Boise State, Wyoming, CSU, AFA, SDSU, SJSU, etc. And then compare the product Vs the price.



You cannot expect to get Tuscaloosa product for Vandal prices.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
frdbtr wrote:
We lost young people because there is no internet access?!?! Sorry if I sound incredulous but you are there to watch a freaking football game, not post selfies on facebook. This all goes back to Bib's comment about BYU needing an elite fan base, I'm afraid we don't have that.

Sadly and for better or worse (worse IMO), the students of today are wired completely different than those of the past. These kids can't last 4 minutes let alone 4 hours without having access to their social media outlet. Sadly many adults need the same minute by minute "fix". Had a parent come into my office with their student to discuss a concern. The whole conversation consisted of me talking to the top of her head while she conversed and texted simultaneously, and I am talking about the parent, not the student. Needless to say I wanted to reach out and slap her on top of the head and take her phone away. It is indeed a different beast these days :~(
C
Cougarbib
Many adults have jobs that require them to stay connected. Employers routinely provide cell phones to professional staff and managers and set an expectation of reachability that comes with that.



Investors may get a stock alert or margin call. Time is money has never been so true.



The world has changed - better or worse.



It would be nice to be able to post some I told you so or eat crow live from LES right onto Cougar Corner.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
I got two BSU-BYU tickets yesterday and paid $170 for them. Sideline at the endzone. Not the cheapest tickets but more expensive than Y tickets. Those tickets are hard to get but I was surprised there were some still available.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.